Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Beginner Bodybuilding

Beginner Bodybuilding New to bodybuilding? Need some advice? Post here!

Old 22-Sep-10, 07:46 AM   #16
Dov11

Thank you! Im still finding my feet and my limits with this 5x5 system, but I did a heavy session 2 days ago on Monday and was thinking of doing another "heavy" session tonight (well heavy for me) consisting of bench press, bent over rows, overhead presses, deadlifts and maybe one isolation movement to work my triceps! I have 2 questions... 1) would it be ok to do my heavy session but go light with the deadlift as my muscles in my back and legs havent fully recovefed since last time? Or should I press on with heave deadlifts anyway? .... 2) when should I do a light session and how should I determine what weight to use? And how many reps??
Dov11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-10, 10:35 AM   #17
Mrs.V.
Outlaw Muscle Bodybuilding Contest - 7th place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov11 View Post
Thank you! Im still finding my feet and my limits with this 5x5 system, but I did a heavy session 2 days ago on Monday and was thinking of doing another "heavy" session tonight (well heavy for me) consisting of bench press, bent over rows, overhead presses, deadlifts and maybe one isolation movement to work my triceps! I have 2 questions... 1) would it be ok to do my heavy session but go light with the deadlift as my muscles in my back and legs havent fully recovefed since last time? Or should I press on with heave deadlifts anyway? .... 2) when should I do a light session and how should I determine what weight to use? And how many reps??
Quote:
Originally Posted by .V. View Post
Here is how you do it. You can choose any three days as long as they are every other day... and take two days off before your "heavy" day.

I use M, W, F for example...

Monday:
Squat (heavy)
Bench Press (heavy)
Row

Wednesday
Squat (light - use 60% of what you did monday)
Bench Press (light - use 60% of what you did monday)
Deadlift

Friday
Squat (medium - use 85% of what you did monday)
Bench Press (medium - use 85% of what you did monday)
Overhead press (seated, standing military, clean and jerk...whatever)

>If you read the stickies about how to set this program up you begin by finding your five rep max for each of the lifts.
>Then you start workout one at 20lbs less than your 5RM
>Follow the program as outlined with heavy, medium, and light days for squat and bench. The other lifts are done once a week with progressive resistance...5 lbs added each week...NO MORE THAN 5 lbs A WEEK..
Like this. Do three workouts a week. Start 20lbs lighter than your 5RM, this will put your 5RM at week 4.

This way you aren't working too heavy at the start. In about a month when you are working at your old maximum, you will be acclimated to the training and ready to keep getting stronger.

If you just start out heavy and keep going from there, you are asking to get hurt.

The will to win,the desire to succeed,the urge to reach your full potential.These are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
Mrs.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-10, 10:40 AM   #18
Mrs.V.
Outlaw Muscle Bodybuilding Contest - 7th place.

To find your maximum to get started...you simply start with what you think you can do for 5 reps, and keep adding weight until you can't add any more. Take off 20lbs and you know where to start at.

Test over three days testing the lifts on the days you would be doing them in the program.

Then crunch the numbers so you know where to start, take a week off to recover from the testing...then begin.

Another thing you can do is ramped sets where each set is 10% lighter than the one after it.

For example if you can squat 200lbs you'll lift this way for our 5 sets

Set 1 130lbs
Set 2 145lbs
Set 3 160lbs
Set 4 180lbs
Set 5 200lbs

The will to win,the desire to succeed,the urge to reach your full potential.These are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
Mrs.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-10, 02:07 PM   #19
LiftGirl
Site Admin

The idea behind 5x5 is to do ALL compound exercises and NO isolation work, none at all. All five exercises you do should be compound for maximum effectiveness.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-10, 02:27 PM   #20
Dov11

Thank you everybody!! I definitely need a "light" day next, In my over-eagerness I have just done 2 heavy days 2 days apart, which was a bit much for me as a novice! lol. Good routine advice Mrs.V.! Thanks!
Old 22-Sep-10, 05:37 PM   #21
Dov11

Oopps yes of course, i forgot that .V. Had advised on that earlier! Thanks! Keep training people, remember as Dean Ash always says.... no pain no gain!!! Lol.
Old 19-Oct-10, 12:38 AM   #22
anabolicapoc

Wtf is the difference between a back and barbell squat?

Bro just do deadlifts, they blow squats out of the water and put more mass on you than anything.
anabolicapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-10, 12:25 PM   #23
beefcurry1
93% Lean

Send a message via MSN to beefcurry1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolicapoc View Post
Bro just do deadlifts, they blow squats out of the water and put more mass on you than anything.
i agree with you halfway. deadlift IS the best exercise for OVERALL mass building, but back squats give the full ROM needed for full leg development, namely the quads. there is no form of deadlift that hits the quads like squats.

for other benifits of squats see this video. it was posted a while back and is pretty much true (yes squats cure cancer):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppzG...layer_embedded

solution: do both

i was doing all my sets of squats then moving on to DL but this was putting a lot of stress on my lower back. by the time i got to my first set of DL my lower back was already toast. to remedy this i have started alternating between squats and DL. it feels much better and my lower back doesnt get the fatigue it did before.
Old 19-Oct-10, 09:23 PM   #24
anabolicapoc

I cant however do squats, my knees are injured but deadlifts dont seem to bother it. But i have def gotten bigger legs and over all mass from deadlifts than squats.
Old 19-Oct-10, 10:54 PM   #25
.V.

Deadlifts are definitely an all over mass builder. But the squat is the cornerstone of so many training plans. Olympic style squats add power to movements, general health and fitness...and you would probably be even bigger than your impressive size now if you were able to squat.
Old 20-Oct-10, 11:01 AM   #26
anabolicapoc

I disagree, when i was squatting 2x a week before my knee injury i wasnt gaining much mass until i started doing heavy deadlifts.
Old 20-Oct-10, 11:15 AM   #27
.V.

Hmmmm....most have a different experience with the squat.

Have you ever tried Bill Starr's method where squats are done 3x a week. Heavy, light, and medium days?
Old 20-Oct-10, 12:11 PM   #28
beefcurry1
93% Lean

Send a message via MSN to beefcurry1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolicapoc View Post
I disagree, when i was squatting 2x a week before my knee injury i wasnt gaining much mass until i started doing heavy deadlifts.
then you would be disagreeing with every single weight training program there is. every form of competative weight training, be it oly, crossfit, BB, PL, etc all do squats, and with good reason.

maybe you're the exception and DL works better for you, but you're still not getting a full ROM from DL. unless you have T-rex short arms any form of deadlift is going to be no more ROM than a half squat.

i guess for you it's all for nothing as your knee is bad. i guess if DL is all you can do then do it up.
Old 20-Oct-10, 12:21 PM   #29
.V.

Mrs.V. couldn't squat at first either. Terrible knees from being overweight for the first 30 years of her life... I'm talking 450lbs kind of overweight. We spent our time on the leg press...worked her way up very slowly to 400+lbs with the leg press using full ROM... now she squats. Light squats but progressing very well...but she's squatting.

The squat boosts GH levels and testosterone levels like no other lift, even more than the deadlift... and it promotes good overall growth better than anything else. Better than deads for the hamstrings, glutes, and the back? Nah...deadlifting is best for those... but for overall growth, the squat is unbeatable.

However, if you can't do it, you can't. Perhaps you can rehab your knees until you can? Or at least use a trap bar and do trap bar deads? They are better than not squatting at all.
Old 20-Oct-10, 03:16 PM   #30
anabolicapoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcurry1 View Post
then you would be disagreeing with every single weight training program there is. every form of competative weight training, be it oly, crossfit, BB, PL, etc all do squats, and with good reason.

maybe you're the exception and DL works better for you, but you're still not getting a full ROM from DL. unless you have T-rex short arms any form of deadlift is going to be no more ROM than a half squat.

i guess for you it's all for nothing as your knee is bad. i guess if DL is all you can do then do it up.
Deficits definitely help.

Tags
deadlift