Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Beginner Bodybuilding

Beginner Bodybuilding New to bodybuilding? Need some advice? Post here!

Old 04-Oct-03, 02:17 PM   #1
Sizzle

Flyes Vs. Press

in the long run, do you benefit more from press movements (ie: bench, chest press) than fly movements (ie: flye press, pec deck). when it comes to chest, a lot of folks here swear by bench. so is doing flyes a total waste?
Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Oct-03, 02:22 PM   #2
trooper619

The pressing movements are definitely important. But I also love do end my chest workouts with flyes (cable crossovers to be specific). I simply use them because I feel it works well for me.
Old 04-Oct-03, 02:24 PM   #3
Timbers

Personally, I feel it best in the chest when doing pec flys. For some reason, I feel it more in my arms and shoulders when I do presses - flat and incline.
Timbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Oct-03, 02:29 PM   #4
TommyD

Send a message via AIM to TommyD Send a message via MSN to TommyD
Talking

I feel more when doing heavy bench with low reps than doing flyes. Doing heavy weight with low reps on flyes hurts my elbows a lot so I just stick with the bench for mass gain and overall strength.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Oct-03, 03:54 PM   #5
Kenny

i can't imagine taking one or the other out of my routine. they compliment each other.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Oct-03, 05:16 PM   #6
Timbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
i can't imagine taking one or the other out of my routine. they compliment each other.
True. I still do both
Old 04-Oct-03, 07:44 PM   #7
mustang GT
IronStang

Send a message via AIM to mustang GT
Personally, I feel it more in my chest when I do flyes as well. But I always had both in my training regimen.
Old 04-Oct-03, 09:13 PM   #8
Sizzle

so one's not generally better than the other?
Old 04-Oct-03, 10:18 PM   #9
IronMan

Compound movements allow more weight to be moved, therefore more stimulation can be had in the muscles you are working. Single joint movements like flyes isolate the muscle being worked but you can only handle a limited amount of weight, making it more difficult to throughly stimulate the muscle. They each have their place in your routine.

Timbers: If you keep your elbows flared out then you should get more pec involvement. When your elbows point more towards your feet as you are lowering the weight then you bring in more triceps and delts.
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Oct-03, 10:36 PM   #10
Timbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Compound movements allow more weight to be moved, therefore more stimulation can be had in the muscles you are working. Single joint movements like flyes isolate the muscle being worked but you can only handle a limited amount of weight, making it more difficult to throughly stimulate the muscle. They each have their place in your routine.

Timbers: If you keep your elbows flared out then you should get more pec involvement. When your elbows point more towards your feet as you are lowering the weight then you bring in more triceps and delts.
thanks, Ironman, I'll try this monday morning
Old 05-Oct-03, 10:32 PM   #11
Alex(AJ)

Send a message via AIM to Alex(AJ) Send a message via Yahoo to Alex(AJ)
imho, flyes are a waste

stick w/ heavy pressing movements and leaning-forward dips and your chest iwll be fine
Old 05-Oct-03, 10:36 PM   #12
Sizzle

why do you say that Alex? any written documentation?
Old 06-Oct-03, 07:47 AM   #13
Tuna Fish

No, Alex doesn't have any written documentation. Silly question!!! heh heh

I agree for the most part with IM's and Kenny's replies. I think they're necessary, also, and would not stop doing them for any reason.

Pressing motions- yes, you can move more weight, but it is distributed across many more muscles than isolation moves. If you truly max out on isolation exercises, you can make terrific gains- but only in the muscle being worked. Heavy flyes are terrific mass gainers- for the pecs! They don't really do anything for the delts or triceps, though. OTOH, the BP will hit all of them at the same time.

In a nutshell, flyes work, but not in the same way as bench press. Do both.

Tuna
Old 06-Oct-03, 08:16 AM   #14
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

I have to agree with Tuna. Awhile back, my wife and I dropped flyes out of our routine—adopting the attitude that heavy compound pressing movements should suffice. Within just this last week, we have both pick up heavy flyes again ... WOW! From now on they've got a permanent position on my team roster.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Oct-03, 06:35 PM   #15
Todd
Roll'n On 28's

Cursor, do you just "feel" like flyes are working your pecs well and that's why you've put them back into your routine, or have you actually noticed a difference in results from using them? At what point in your chest routine do you incorporate your flyes? Just curious, because for months now I have not done flyes and have stuck to the basic heavy compound presses for chest and have had great results, whereas I used to include flyes religiously in every chest workout with not as solid of results, yet, I "felt" they worked my pecs better ..as in I got more of a burn, ache, pump in my chest. Even though I felt the flyes worked better, or "thought" it did, I was not getting optimal results. Whereas when I do strictly heavy presses for chest I can use a ton of more weight and even though I don't get that massive "burn", "pump", "ache" in my chest from the presses, I get a whole lot more out of it result wise. So I am just wondering what your experience with all of this is exactly.

Last edited by Todd; 06-Oct-03 at 06:37 PM.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar curl, bar curls, barbell curl, barbell curls, barbell press, barbell row, barbell rows, barbell shrug, barbell shrugs, basic exercises, bell curls, bell press, bench press, bench presses, bicep curl, biceps curls, body builder, body fat, body fat level, build muscle, cable cross, calf press, calf presses, calf raise, calf raises, chest exercise, chest exercises, chest flies, chest press, chest routine, chest workouts, compound exercise, compound movement, compound movements, concentration curls, decline bench, decline bench press, degree leg, degree leg press, dumbbell curl, dumbbell fly, dumbbell press, dumbbell presses, dumbbell row, eat properly, extension machine, fat level, flat bench, forward dips, heavy bench, heavy compound, heavy deadlifts, incline bench, incline bench press, incline dumbbell press, isolation exercise, isolation movements, jeff willet, lat pull, lat pulldown, lean muscle, leg extension, leg press, low bf, mass gain, military press, muscle building, muscle fiber, muscle fibers, muscle growth, muscle hypertrophy, muscle mass, muscle memory, muscle stimulation, muscular development, overall strength, pound gain, preacher curl, pressing movements, rear delts, resistance training, reverse curls, seated calf raise, seated dumbbell, shoulder exercises, shoulder joint, skull crushers, standing barbell, standing barbell curls, standing calf raise, standing calf raises, super heavy, training program, triceps extensions, wrist curls