Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Beginner Bodybuilding

Beginner Bodybuilding New to bodybuilding? Need some advice? Post here!

Old 27-Aug-05, 12:32 PM   #1
dino

Thumbs up

Is A Week Off from working out essential??

Hi All,

Ive been working out at my local gym now for 4 times a week since march.I havent missed a workout yet.I have read in a fitness book by kurt brungardt that after 2-3 months of working out, a 1 week rest is good.
I understand that a rest from the gym for a week will make sure my body is fully recovered and i will be more focused and motivated when i come back.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about having a break for a week from the gym and whether there are many benefits from it.i really dont want to lose any muscle/strengh,altho i have been told that the body is usually fully healed and can perform better after a rest.

Any advice/help would be appreciated
dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-05, 12:48 PM   #2
.V.

As the muscles and CNS are taxed - which they are with heavy resistance training they eventually get so that they don't recover as well. That is why planned breaks are important. A week off after every 8 - 12 weeks is a great idea. I forgot to take my week off when it was due before and ended up taking a couple of unplanned days off this week. End result - hit it today rested, refreshed, and STRONGER.

I have taken two weeks off before and it was a bad idea - I lost strength. One week, I always come back better.

Short answer - yes take a week off.
Old 27-Aug-05, 12:56 PM   #3
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

absolutely essential. that includes high-intensity cardio, btw.

don't argue, just do it.
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-05, 01:31 PM   #4
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Because of the varying differences in the speed at which people can recover, the best thing to do is wait until you are feeling a little bit run down. This is where you have to learn to listen to your body. If you are feeling worn out before workouts, then take time off. If you don't feel worn out and it's beeen 3 months, then don't take time off.
Old 27-Aug-05, 01:37 PM   #5
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

i dunno about that - too many ppl keep pushing telling themselves "i'm good! i'm good!".

imo, if you train with any degree of intensity (not just the la-la weights and long-distance strolls), you should be taking time off.
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-05, 04:07 PM   #6
Only13

I just got finished with my firsst week off this summer today. I cam back with much mroe strength, i was surprised. Everything is up for today (chest and back). Im definatly glad I did it, make sure not to slack on the diet portion though.
Only13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-05, 07:06 PM   #7
jallen

Send a message via AIM to jallen
i just took 2 weeks off and i was able to go heavier than when i stopped. You are definitely not going to lose strength in a week off.
jallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-05, 08:13 PM   #8
Gooseneck
CO

Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only13
..... make sure not to slack on the diet portion though.
This is the most important part of taking a break. It is essential for preventing unwanted catabolic loss of muscle tissue.

1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-05, 11:37 AM   #9
Vas85

Send a message via MSN to Vas85
Ive been training for 2.5yrs now, and taken 4breaks inbetween that period, and all i can say is, it feels damn good and i hit back the following week breaking plateus. Might not work that way for everyone, but i sure think they are crucial and important part of your workout, but not too short like once in 4-8weeks... thats too small to see the gains in my opinion, to be stopping your body a week off (refering to mine) Ive taken breaks approximartely every 6months, and its doing me great.

I also started training with a 9day split 2.5yrs ago, so maybe thats why i had been able to go harder for like a full year at first without break. But yeah... it is essential, but if your numbers are increasing, dont take a break just yet. :
Old 03-Sep-05, 03:02 PM   #10
Merrida

In one way, I think it depends on the INTENSITY of your workouts. If you've been working out 4 x week but at a low to moderate intensity, taking a few days off may be all you need....or,....then again, maybe none at all.

Another option,..."active recovery," not passive recovery...take a week off of lifting and spend a week doing sports you like, play with the kids or dogs, go hiking, canoeing, kayaking, basketball, tennis,....etc. Indulge and get two massages in one week. Go swimming.

Working out at SUB-maximal levels, "technically" you could keep doing,...but one of the biggest reasons for breaks when working SUB-max, is to avoid psychological breakdowns/plateaus, and to keep THEM from leading to physical breakdowns.

Otherwise, my humble opinion is: Schedule breaks, do not wait and "listen to your body" in terms of taking a week off. (Listen to your body when it comes to things like sugar drops, fatigue, illness, injuries, pains, etc.). But in terms of recovery, schedule it in, take it.

I'm also in agreement: One week, you'll probably come back much stronger. Most do. Too long of a break and you may come back weaker....(you'll catch up, but be prepared).
Merrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Sep-05, 03:06 PM   #11
dino

thanks for your many replies guys.im on my week off now and going back to training on tues.ill be better than ever and more focused.

thanks guys
dino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active recovery, fully recovered, local gym, moderate intensity, muscle tissue, resistance training