Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Beginner Bodybuilding

Beginner Bodybuilding New to bodybuilding? Need some advice? Post here!

Old 23-Oct-05, 06:18 PM   #1
bobby5

Wal-Mart whey protein?

I usually buy my protein from GNC but im runnin a little low on money and was thinkin about buying whey protein from wal-mart. Is the protein you get from wal-mart any good compared to the stuff at GNC?
bobby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-05, 06:33 PM   #2
.V.

I use it, it works. Pretty good protein for the money. They also have premixed creatine with dextrose at a reasonable price. Our local store has now started stocking glutamine after months of me asking for it. Can't get them to add the GABA yet though - but I'll keep trying.
Old 23-Oct-05, 08:27 PM   #3
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

another person on this board buys his protein from wal-mart too. i buy mine at my gym - it's within my price budget and not too bad a name, i don't think (optimum nutrition - that's not bad, right?).
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Oct-05, 10:06 PM   #4
.V.

Nope, not bad - ON brand is good. I've used it before. Designer Protein is good too - if one can afford it - cost 2.5X that of the wal mart brand and other than mixing easier, I didn't notice a difference.
Old 24-Oct-05, 08:26 AM   #5
rangers97
I need a title!

I love the ON protein, I can get a 5 pound tub for around $24 which lasts quite a while, and I think it tastes great, a lot better than the designer whey.

I would be interested to see how much $$$ the walmart creatine/dextrose mix costs, since right now I am using Phosphagen by EAS and it costs me around $20 for a 42 serving container.
rangers97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-05, 08:38 AM   #6
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

oh - one other thing: GNC ****sucks****. i've been into four of them and so far, all the ppl working there don't know s--t from shinola. example: they all said that creatine "improves athletic performance" for all sports, including running, and that ephedrine is illegal (not true) and liver-toxic (which, of course, is why my doctor told me to take it to get my sinuses unclogged, eh? - he specifically prescribed sudafed, which has pseudoephedrine in it, which is metabolized by the body into ephedrine).
Old 24-Oct-05, 09:03 AM   #7
maverick
missin the gym

I use only use GNC whey. Just avoid the help. In all fairness, though, there are a number of studies that show creatine supplementation DOES enhance intense athletic performance. Not much use to marathon runners, but has been shown to make a difference in sprinters.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-05, 10:54 AM   #8
.V.

Walmart Whey (body fortress brand) $11.95/2lb (30 20g protein servings).

Walmart Creatine/Dextrose mix (body fortress brand) $12.24/5lb (52 5g creatine/32g dextrose servings).
Old 24-Oct-05, 01:32 PM   #9
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
I use only use GNC whey. Just avoid the help. In all fairness, though, there are a number of studies that show creatine supplementation DOES enhance intense athletic performance. Not much use to marathon runners, but has been shown to make a difference in sprinters.
it enhances anaerobic explosive-type movements only: weightlifting, sprinting, jumping, etc. it does nothing at all for endurance because it increases ATP storage, giving the muscle cell more fuel - slow-twitch fibres used in most endurance exercises don't store ATP.

these idiots were saying it improves "overall" athletic performance and specifically were recommending it to one swimmer and two joggers.
Old 24-Oct-05, 01:39 PM   #10
KMA_2

!!WOW!! you have such good and low prices......5lbs of whey protien cost's me about..80$....

fast as a butterfly he stings like a bee hey what do you know it aint f*king mohamad ali .....
KMA_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-05, 02:44 PM   #11
maverick
missin the gym

I'll tell ya, you guys bad mouth GNC a lot, but they have great prices with a Gold card. Last month I paid about $50 for 12 pounds of whey. They give you you're gold card savings (20%) on top of whatever sales they have going. They almost always have a "buy one, get one 50% off" sale on the 6 pound tunbs of whey. It tastes great and I don't think a lifter of my caliber, or most here's caliber, will notice the slight macronutrient differences between GNC's and other brands.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-05, 03:48 PM   #12
phat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA_2
!!WOW!! you have such good and low prices......5lbs of whey protien cost's me about..80$....
You should take a look at what kind of whey you're getting @ $80/5lb. If it's isolate that's just a little bit expensive. If it's just instantized whey then you're really getting ripped off. The stuff I've see at walmart is instantized whey. It's amino acid profile is quite different from isolate, and it also has ~35x the cholesterol per gram of protien.
Old 24-Oct-05, 05:27 PM   #13
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
I'll tell ya, you guys bad mouth GNC a lot, but they have great prices with a Gold card. Last month I paid about $50 for 12 pounds of whey. They give you you're gold card savings (20%) on top of whatever sales they have going. They almost always have a "buy one, get one 50% off" sale on the 6 pound tunbs of whey. It tastes great and I don't think a lifter of my caliber, or most here's caliber, will notice the slight macronutrient differences between GNC's and other brands.
50 bucks for 12lbs of whey protein is pretty good, what brand was it though? Gotta watch out for crap quality brands. If it was a good brand then you got a hell of a deal. How much it cost for a gold card there? GNC is usually way too expensive.

One of the guys at my gym has a nutrition store and he gives us internet or better deals (i might get slightly better because i train with him).

He does internet orders. Check out his site at www.powernutrition.net.

He's got some decent prices.
Old 24-Oct-05, 05:28 PM   #14
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_b
You should take a look at what kind of whey you're getting @ $80/5lb. If it's isolate that's just a little bit expensive. If it's just instantized whey then you're really getting ripped off. The stuff I've see at walmart is instantized whey. It's amino acid profile is quite different from isolate, and it also has ~35x the cholesterol per gram of protien.
Even if it's isolate he's getting ripped off. You shoudlnt pay more thna 30 bucks for 5lb tubs of quality whey protein isolate.

If he's getting muscle milk, which is hands down the best tasting protein out there by far (dont try it or itll ruin u for any other protein). That stuff only costs about 50bucks for 5lbs and it's damn good stuff.
Old 27-Oct-05, 03:30 PM   #15
phat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk
Even if it's isolate he's getting ripped off. You shoudlnt pay more thna 30 bucks for 5lb tubs of quality whey protein isolate.

If he's getting muscle milk, which is hands down the best tasting protein out there by far (dont try it or itll ruin u for any other protein). That stuff only costs about 50bucks for 5lbs and it's damn good stuff.
Care to share your sources? I'd love to find isolate that cheap!

Tags
amino acid profile, athletic performance, body fortress, creatine supplementation, designer whey, marathon runner, marathon runners, muscle cell, muscle growth, muscle milk, optimum nutrition, protein isolate, whey protein, whey protein isolate