Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 01-Jan-07, 06:14 PM   #1
Sophos9

Calorie Intake for Bulking/Cutting Cycles

Hi all, thought I would post my plans for nutrition during bulking and cutting cycles to see if anyone will challenge them

I'm currently 93.4kg with 21.7% bodyfat (long story... inc. lots of bad food ha ha : )

I believe my basal metabolic rate will consume 2017.4 and with exercise thrown in I guess I need approx 2623 calories to keep my thyroid happy...

In my 4 week bulking cycle, I will aim to hit 3111 calories. My cutting cycle I'm looking to hit 2073...

Feel free to comment, I spent some time a few years back developing Excel sheets to work all this stuff out, I'm not sure if anything has changed recently...

Cheers

Major Bodily Rebuild - The Hard Way...
Sophos9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jan-07, 06:48 PM   #2
LINDA

With 4 weeks of bulking, how will you measure your success? Scale weight and bodyfat % measurement?

BTW - This middle aged dudette eats 3000 cals / day to maintain her weight and BF %. Are you sure you are eating enough?

Last edited by LINDA; 01-Jan-07 at 06:50 PM.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Jan-07, 07:00 PM   #3
Sophos9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
With 4 weeks of bulking, how will you measure your success? Scale weight and bodyfat % measurement?
Will be a combo, basis will be on bf% and lean muscle mass... I need to swop 10kg of fat for muscle.... Will also be keeping measurements of major muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
This middle aged dudette eats 3000 cals / day to maintain her weight and BF %. Are you sure you are eating enough?
True, not eating enough yet and I'm cool with that, my body has been in hibernation for the last 3 years so my metabolic rate is not so good. I anticipate in about 4wks I can increase my calories and be eating properly in 8-12wks

Old 01-Jan-07, 07:19 PM   #4
.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophos9
I'm not sure if anything has changed recently...
Nope, eating more calories than you burn will still let you grow. Eating less than you burn will still let you cut. I'm sure you already know about anabolic nutrient timing to get optimal results from your nutrition since the ideas have been around forever and you've done spreadsheets and stuff before.

The best scientific formula out there is still:

Eat + Sleep + Lift = Grow.

I do think your calories may be a bit light, but each of our bodies are a bit different. Myself, on days that I don't eat enough and continue wasting away...I'm getting in about what you described as a bulking diet. Myself, I need 4100+ to keep going and close to 5000 to grow. I'm only 194lbs right now too.

Of course you know your body better than any of us who are just guessing and never met you ever could or will, but this helped me finally start eating enough to grow a bit. John Berardi - The Massive Eating Calculator

yeah, lots of folks say he's an idiot, but he's now publishing the things that I spent a few years suffering through trial and error to learn worked for me. Maybe it can save you a little time.

Best wishes on reaching your goals.

Last edited by .V.; 01-Jan-07 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-Jan-07, 07:34 PM   #5
Sophos9

Hi Welch,

Thanks for that... the rule has not changed then :-)

I take it that you're an ectomorph then. I'm a dead cert mesomorph.... I will watch the calories carefully!!

Old 01-Jan-07, 07:44 PM   #6
Sophos9

also forgot to add, I'm splitting my diet to 40% high bv proteins, 40% carbs and 20% fat... good fat!!

When bulking, this should amount to 317g protein, 317g of carb and 71g of good fats...

Old 01-Jan-07, 08:00 PM   #7
.V.

I don't know what I am except a former 300lbs fatty who did LCD for a year to get the fat off, then TCD to boost the metabolism. Now, if I don't eat enough I lose weight and get soft.

Yeah, the 40/40/20 looks pretty good. Too many of us neglect the fat, thinking it's a bad thing. The body just doesn't work well without enough fat in the diet. Don't forget now, a bit of saturated fat is needed to support hormone function. When I did a bulker on less than 9% fat and was only getting like 2g of sat fat a day it was enough to kill off what remained of my endocrine system and give me the test level of an 87 year old woman. It's taken a while to recover from that.

Going for 20% good fats should let you have a steak here and there to support hormone function.

Oh, I missed the part in your original post about gradually increasing the calories in 4 weeks or so.
Old 01-Jan-07, 08:12 PM   #8
Sophos9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_welch503
give me the test level of an 87 year old woman. It's taken a while to recover from that.
Dude, sounds like you needed a quick course of clomid....

Check out this website for more info on body types

Old 01-Jan-07, 08:23 PM   #9
.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophos9
Dude, sounds like you needed a quick course of clomid....
I always heard, "if you do that you'll go blind".

Seriously, on my testosterone recovery experiment, that was one of the choices my doc discussed with me - for off label use. The sides were a bit risky for me to try it though.

We went with full test replacement to totally suppress my natural production and just use what she was injecting. After that we did some other meds to help increase my own production. Kind of like PCT, but with stuff that she can legally prescribe in the US. A couple of them did get me a funny look from the pharmacist though.

It was all a big pain in the butt quite literally, but now I seem to be normal for a man my age again so in the end it was worth it. If I just keep producing on my own things will be fine. If I start having swings from very high to nonexistant again, we are just going to go with TRT for life.

That's a cool site, I'd forgotten about it. I guess I was an endo who's became a meso. I do lose weight easily and need a lot of calories but am pretty active. My last training cycle (of course the TRT didn't hurt) I did put on 30lbs and my body fat percentage went down a bit. A true ecto couldn't gain 30lbs over one summer without massive doses of real gear instead of the puny little bit of test only that I was getting each week.

Last edited by .V.; 01-Jan-07 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-Jan-07, 08:26 PM   #10
Sophos9

Fingers crossed it all goes OK for you, take it you are in the US then? Not sure on legality of junk in the UK...

Old 01-Jan-07, 08:37 PM   #11
.V.

Yeah, US. There are some things that can be done with a prescription, but it is very limited and the jackbooted thugs, I mean the DEA watches every script for certain things very closely. If a doc is giving hormone therapy to someone for bodybuilding purposes instead of for medically necessary reasons (and able to back it up with lab work) they doc is treated like a heroin dealer. Big trouble for everyone around. Myself, I prefer to stay as natural as possible though so it's not much of an issue. For the first year she was suggesting TRT to me, I wouldn't take it. And only agreed to it if she could come up with a plan to try to get my natural production back first. The plan seems to be working.

Tags
basal metabolic rate, body fat, body fat percentage, bulking cycle, cutting cycle, eating properly, john berardi, lean muscle, lean muscle mass, massive eating, muscle mass, saturated fat, scale weight, training cycle

You may also search for: