Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 13-Jul-04, 06:28 AM   #1
rbuchman

High fructose corn syrup - why so bad?

People here and elsewhere think very poorly of high fructose corn syrup; blaming it for everything from obesity to type II diabetes.

Why if it's high in fructose (low GI) is it so bad for you.

I read somewhere that while high fructose corn syrup is related to type II diabetes it does not spike your blood sugar/insulin but sucrose (table sugar a chemical and GI a mix of fructose and glucose) will spike insulin but is not related to type II diabetes.

What's the deal
rbuchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 06:44 AM   #2
Doc2029
Play the game!

Send a message via AIM to Doc2029 Send a message via Yahoo to Doc2029
Arrow

Over processed crap! Studies have shown sinces it introduction to the marketplace and its use in highly processed foods it has been a common thread in the rising obesity and diebetes rates in the U.S. and around the world.

Do some searches you find other posts here on why it bad for you. other than it is a constrated sugar source. As for it being low GI it has to be like carrots are high GI. A little off skew. I mean if you eat a bushle of carrots you'll get an insluin spike otherwise I don't think so...
Old 13-Jul-04, 07:40 AM   #3
Lady C
"I know squat"

fructose Here read these more fructose
Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 07:55 AM   #4
CliffStamp

It is a completely unnatural food that your body was not designed to handle in large amounts. While fruits and vegetables contain fructose, you would need to eat a large amount of them to get 50 g in a day, like a half a dozen apples. You can get this much fructose in syrup much quicker eating artifically sweetened foods.

The main problem with it is that unlike glucose, fructose can not be used by the muscle to refil glycogen, it is processed by the liver and turned into saturated fats and cholesterol, in particular throwing off the LDL / HDL ratio by specifically increasing LDL.

It is also much sweeter than sugar by weight, and is a powerful appetite stimulant - these are two pretty dangerous attributes for obesity.

-Cliff
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 09:17 AM   #5
rbuchman

how do I get the benifits of a low GI food without the negatives of fructose (aside from eating glucose with fats or fiber)
Old 13-Jul-04, 09:24 AM   #6
CliffStamp

Just avoid foods that are artifically sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Most vegetables are really low GI, as are whole grains. It isn't difficult to eat high carb but still low GI.

-Cliff
Old 13-Jul-04, 11:42 AM   #7
rbuchman

should I worry about the natural fructose in fruit?
Old 13-Jul-04, 11:44 AM   #8
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

The answer to your question, rbuchman, can be found in the first link offered by Lady C above. I'll repeat it here: fruit n' fructose

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________P R O G R E S S___P I C S
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 12:19 PM   #9
rbuchman

I read all the posts and links so fiber and vitamins aside fruit should be avoided. What fruits are low in fructose? What carbs are low GI by themselves (not made so by addition of fat or fiber), how do these fit in to the whole picture?
Old 13-Jul-04, 12:37 PM   #10
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Based on the reference post, fruit should not be avoided. Vitamins and dietary fiber are good for you. I'll generate a list of fruits that reflects their relative fructose content (future post). For GI values, see: http://www.mendosa.com/common_foods.htm

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________P R O G R E S S___P I C S
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 01:04 PM   #11
arbit

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/yourhea...-22-sugar.html

http://www.nutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/3021.html

Last edited by arbit; 13-Jul-04 at 01:08 PM.
arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jul-04, 01:18 PM   #12
CliffStamp

The problems with fruits now is mainly that they are being genetically engineered to be artifically sweeter, and are actually injected with high fructose corn syrup to make them sweeter. So look to organic fruits to avoid most of these problems.

As for which ones are sweeter, you can tell this by taste, most should have nutritional info on them as well, but note that this does *NOT* apply to the fruit you are getting in the bag, it only has to apply to the perfect fruit picked at maximal ripeness.

The biggest problem with fruit is eating it in concentrated form, or avoiding eating parts of it. For example if you look up the USDA entry for an orange this has *little* in common with the actual nutrition a lot of people get when they eat an orange.

It is very common to not eat the underside of the rind (the white gummy stuff) which is the richest source of the bioflavanoids, and the membrane it also commonly spit out, or cut off, and the seeds are removed.

Thus a lot of the vitamins and minerals are lost and what it produces is a concentrated sweet snack. Yes it has vitamins it in, so would a glass of sugar water if you ate a multi-vitamin with it. Would this then mean sugar water is healthy.

As for them being highly nutrient dense, this is simply false. Yes they are more nutritious than a mars bar, but a piece of liver is many times greater a course of vitamins and minerals.

Unlike the orange is is also doesn't provide the bulk of its calories as a sugar, ~80% if you eat the whole orange, higher if you don't eat all the fibre which few people do. How many people core and peel apples for example, that radically changes the sugar / fibre balance for example.

To clarify, this isn't an attempt to argue you should not eat fruit. However many of the advocates are grossly exaggerating the nutrient density and glossing over the sugar profile.

Should you eat fruits, yes, should you attempt to make them the bulk of your diet, no. Try to keep fructose down to < 50 g a day which means less than half a dozen apple sized pieces of fruit, less if you eat anything artifically sweetened as it uses high fructose corn sryup.

-Cliff
Old 13-Jul-04, 02:46 PM   #13
Lady C
"I know squat"

Some of us out there do get all the fiber. I have a blender that takes all of the fiber (apple cores and seeds) and blends them up. I drink the whole thing down. Therefore, to me, one apple is one apple.
Old 14-Jul-04, 08:02 AM   #14
CliffStamp

Even if you do this, you are still eating something which provides 95% of its calories as simple sugars (its a bit lower if you count the fibre calories, how much these are depends on the person, what else you eat and other factors as you can partially digest soluable fibre).

How can you possibly advocate making something which contains 95% simple sugars a significant part of a healthy diet.

Do they contain fibre, yes, but in a *much* smaller amounts than beans, peas, brans, seeds, etc. . Do they contain vitamins and minerals, yes, but in much smaller amounts than organ meats, pasture fed dairy, etc. . Not to mention of course that vegetables have a *MUCH* greater nutrient / calorie ratio.

Once again, this is not an arguement that you should avoid fruit, just realize that it is extremely dense in simple sugars, and that the fibre ratio is typically very small like 1 : 10 (fibre : sugar), and much of the fibre and nutrients are lost unless the whole food is eaten.

-Cliff
Old 14-Jul-04, 08:08 AM   #15
Lady C
"I know squat"

It is called a well-balanced diet. I eat an apple with cottage cheese or hard boiled eggs. Call it what you want but it hasn't hurt me. I don't see the negatives because it is fructose not some sugar water.

Tags
activity schedule, blood glucose, blood sugar, boiled eggs, carb load, carb loading, chicken breast, complex carb, complex carbs, corn syrup, dietary fat, dietary fiber, eat high, endurance athletes, flax seed, flax seed meal, flaxseed meal, fructose corn, fructose corn syrup, glycogen storage, high carb, high fructose, high fructose corn, high glycemic, highly processed, insulin levels, insulin response, liver glycogen, low carb, muscle glycogen, nutritional info, processed food, processed foods, protein isolate, rock climbing, saturated fat, seed meal, skinless chicken, skinless chicken breast, still eat, table sugar, three hours, unsaturated fat, unsaturated fats, whey protein, whey protein isolate