Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 21-Mar-05, 01:18 PM   #1
lprene

How to make oatmeal taste good ???

It seems to me that oatmeal is kind of the "wonder" breakfast food. The problem is I HATE the taste. It's my understanding that the flavor varieties are loaded with sugar and a lot of the other good stuff is removed. I've tried regular oatmeal mixed with fresh fruit, but the oatmeal in between the fruit still tastes bad.

Please help. I know I need to add breakfast (I'm not a morning eater) if I want this diet/exercise thing to work and oatmeal seems like it is the way to go if I could only figure out how to stand the taste!
lprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 01:30 PM   #2
Octagon

First and foremost, just give it time.

You're currently accustomed a sort of 'sugar tastes good, everything else is bland' mentality but that will change over time.

You can help it along too with something as simple as ground cinnamon or nutmeg or the like. Hell, for that matter don't be afraid to experiment with things like crushed red pepper flakes.

And yeah, real oatmeal is definitely worth acquiring a taste for. It's a really clean, really healthy food.
Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 02:51 PM   #3
Lady C
"I know squat"

Octagon is right - it just takes time. I can eat it plain now. Not when I started. Take baby steps. I know some folks just can't stomach the texture. I saw recently that one lady eats it uncooked. Adds milk and cinnamon and eats it like it was cold cereal.
Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 03:02 PM   #4
Gooseneck
CO

Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
I put some sugar and sometimes a little dash of cinnoman on mine.

1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 03:41 PM   #5
stigmatas

quaker oats apple cinnamon ready to make oatmeal

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/Product...esCinnamon.cfm

good stuff and low price
Old 21-Mar-05, 04:36 PM   #6
armorforsleep

avoid the junk stigmatas linked to, as OP said it is loaded with processed crap. defeats the purpose of oatmeal

personally i use a tsp of splenda, some cinammon and a handful of raisins in mine. i started only being able to stomach half a cup of this stuff but now i can do 1.5 cups in a sitting. i hope to work up to 2 cups
armorforsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 04:50 PM   #7
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

cursor oatmeal
_____
_________P R O G R E S S___P I C S
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 05:14 PM   #8
IronMan

Oatmeal pancakes:
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/2 cup cottage cheese that was sent through a blender
1/4 cup egg substitute
dash of vanilla or cinnamon

Mix together all the ingredients, let stand for 5 minutes. Divide in half and cook in a non-stick pan. Excellent way to eat oatmeal.

IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 05:50 PM   #9
Cort

Send a message via ICQ to Cort Send a message via AIM to Cort Send a message via Yahoo to Cort
I usually eat it plain with a little cinnamon, tastes great imo.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 06:52 PM   #10
sooner_ed

I make mine with cinammon, splenda, raw almonds, and Log Cabin sugar-free syrup.
Eat right...exercise right...but enjoy yourself along the way!
sooner_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-05, 08:07 PM   #11
stigmatas

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorforsleep
avoid the junk stigmatas linked to, as OP said it is loaded with processed crap. defeats the purpose of oatmeal

personally i use a tsp of splenda, some cinammon and a handful of raisins in mine. i started only being able to stomach half a cup of this stuff but now i can do 1.5 cups in a sitting. i hope to work up to 2 cups

oh **** i didnt know it was bad

i'm sorry
sorry if fitness isnt my #1 feild...
Old 22-Mar-05, 07:09 AM   #12
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

ooooooooooooooh, yummy!!!!!!! i LOVE oatmeal!!! (me da's family on his mam's side are highland scot)

here's one to try (sounds wierd, but it's *good*): add really extra-old cheddar cheese. has to be the good-quality kind.

another thing, put the oatmeal in a bowl, add a dab of butter, a dash of salt, a shot of brown sugar, and pour on your milk. once you stir it up, the flavour's mixed all through.

mash bananas and mix it in.

cook up some oatmeal with onions, garlic, and other yummy type stuff. while still warm, press it into a foil-lined loaf pan and chill in the refrigeration. when cold, turn out, slice, and fry the slices. kind of a faux meat loaf thing, especially if you add puréed lentils or whatnot.
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-05, 01:07 PM   #13
lprene

Wow! Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!

Another question...are quick cooking oats OK (NOT instant) or do they need to be the old fashioned kind?
lprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-05, 02:22 PM   #14
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorforsleep

id have to disagree wit u buddy. just cuz a lot of flavored oatmeal has some sugar in it, it doesnt make it crap and "defeat the purpose of oatmeal" .

sure , oatmeal wit no sugar would be better but that doesnt make that oatmeal total crap.
alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Mar-05, 05:57 PM   #15
Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
id have to disagree wit u buddy. just cuz a lot of flavored oatmeal has some sugar in it, it doesnt make it crap and "defeat the purpose of oatmeal" .

sure , oatmeal wit no sugar would be better but that doesnt make that oatmeal total crap.
Well, it's more than a little sugar. About half the carbs and over a third of the total cals come from sugar. There are also various colorings and preservatives and whatnot.

That said, while I would hardly call these packets good, they are actually a lot better than they used to be. For one thing, the oats appear to be a lot less processed (which helps retain a lot of the nutrients and fiber) and the sugar content, while not low isn't exactly Count Chocula either.
Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby steps, brown sugar, cheddar cheese, complex carb, complex carbohydrates, complex carbs, cup cottage cheese, designer whey, fast food, flaxseed meal, fresh fruit, gain weight, hot water, hydrogenated oils, instant oatmeal, low fat, partially hydrogenated, portion control, processed food, processed foods, protein powder, quaker oats, quick oats, red pepper, seed meal, soy milk, sugar content, trans fat, usually eat, wheat germ, whey protein, white flour

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pre mix whey
does whey go bad
"when to whey"
whey vs mrp