Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 03-Aug-08, 12:15 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5

Milk Protein Powder vs. Whey Protein Powder

So, I haven't been around here a lot lately, but I'm about to buy some protein powder (I use allthewhey). I realized you can purchase milk protein powder their -- basically a mixture of casein and whey.

I was planning on just going with the whey (because it's familiar and cheaper), but thought I should ask if anyone has any thoughts or experiences about milk vs. whey. The milk protein powder is just protein, so it's not like there's lots of lactose or anything in it. Since I'd be having at least one serving a day (usually with breakfast, regardless of whether I'm exercising or not), I'm wondering if the slower digesting casein in the milk protein would make any sort of noticeable difference.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Aug-08, 07:45 AM   #2
Lady C
"I know squat"

In theroy, casein takes longer to digest than whey. It is purely individual though. If you have no stomach issues with casein, I would give it a try.
Old 04-Aug-08, 08:10 PM   #3
westside24

instead of buying casein, why not just drink milk? just a question to throw out there... its just as slow aborbing...
Old 05-Aug-08, 07:02 AM   #4
Lady C
"I know squat"

Milk has the lactose and fat - protein powders don't. Some people care.
Old 05-Aug-08, 09:37 AM   #5
westside24

whoa whoa... I didnt say no one cared. Thats all I was asking, I didnt think of that.

So for someone, or the majority of people who are ok with lactose, would milk be just as beneficial and less pricey then casein? or no?
Old 10-Aug-08, 10:34 AM   #6
SNPiccolo5

Sorry for the slow replying on this...

I've noticed I tend to break out/feel worse when I consume non-cultured dairy. I eat a decent amount of cereal (usually for breakfast or part of a pre/post work-out meal) and use a combination of fat free soy milk and almond milk.

I guess I've just noticed, over the years, that milk seems to have bad effects on me. By no means am I lactose-intolerant; ice cream is my main cheat food -- I indulge two or three times a month (coconut gelato is a weakness of mine, let's say), but I can stomach it fine and it doesn't make me feel bad when I eat it. I just notice things, such as my complexion, (and I'm 21, so there shouldn't be too much going on there) that improve noticeably when I avoid dairy.

So this leads me to one other quick question -- would these effects, such as worsened complexion, which happen when I consume lots of milk, worsen if I consume milk concentrate? My gut says yes, but maybe somebody here has experience with it. I know I've done whey before and it works -- without any "side-effects" or anything.

That's part of why I'm leaning towards whey -- I wish there were a way to get a smaller size of milk protein so that I could try it first without spending $60+.

Thanks for all the help!

Tim
Old 10-Aug-08, 11:08 AM   #7
LINDA

If you can tolerate ice cream but not milk then I would say there is something going on with your observations like maybe you are trying to blame milk for a non related problem or perhaps you just don't want to admit that ice cream is just as bad (probably worse because of the high added sugar content) for you because that would mean that you are not willing to let go of it in your diet for the betterment of your health.

If ice cream is good and the milk you ingest is bad then try drinking a higher fat milk like whole milk. I get headaches from skim milk and 2% milk but whole milk (homo) is just fine. Just like coffee cream. Half and half gives me a headache but 18% or higher is just fine.

Experiment with different kinds of milk. I used to think all milk gave me headaches until I got over my fear of moderate amounts of animal based saturated fats in my diet. I'm older (in comparison to the average age here) so I've established that a quart a week of whole milk and full fat cream daily in my coffee is my level of tolerance.

Now I could be full of it too but my weight remains stable, my measurements do too and my blood tests are excellent. I can't honesty see anything wrong with my logic regarding milk fat.

Have you thought of looking into the cereal you eat as the source of your malaise?

Last edited by LINDA; 10-Aug-08 at 11:12 AM.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Aug-08, 11:02 PM   #8
SNPiccolo5

Hmm. The thing is, I consume ice cream less than once a week, so I really don't see how that would hurt my health in the long run as long as I don't eat ice cream all day at those times, lol! I think the key idea is moderate all things -- even moderation.

The thing is, I consume cereal probably ~ 5 times/week. I have no complaints when I eat whole grain cereal with a vegetable-based milk, so I doubt it's the cereal.

Being a psychology major in college, I'm _definitely_ not one to dismiss effects of perceptions, confirmation bias, or otherwise that result in physical ailments.

There's lots of stuff out there about the benefits of consuming full-fat dairy, etc..., and I'll probably try it sometime, but right now I'm in a physical and nutrition spot that's going pretty well, I'm feeling pretty good, and have convinced myself to reduce animal products in my diet. I would never eliminate them (including meat) because I'd probably go crazy.

In case anyone gets confused, when I mentioned "milk concentrate" in the last post, I meant "milk-protein concentrate/isolate".

Thanks for the responses!

Tim

Tags
blood test, protein concentrate