Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 02-Mar-04, 11:48 AM   #1
aggiecasi

Post Cardio Meal

I've searched through the threads for post-cardio meals and what the make up should be for replenishing your body, but staying on the goal of cutting.

What I've found are opinions about when to eat that post cardio meal (and then the next meal), how many carbs/pro/fat to eat, etc.

So, my question is, what do you think is the best meal to eat after a cardio workout of moderate intensity (i.e. 45 minutes on the stairstepper)? Not sure if I helps, but I'm 5'6", 120lb (checking bf% today), and looking to lose about 5 lb of fat, but gain that back in muscle. My typical day is broken up into p/c/f of 50/35/15.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by aggiecasi; 02-Mar-04 at 12:15 PM.
aggiecasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 11:55 AM   #2
ACEHOLE

I think you should concentrate on building muscle before worrying about 5lbs of fat on a 120lb frame.

It depends on what your doing, cardio is kind of weak in my estimation so I dont need carbs after cardio to recover in the slightest. I typically wait about 15-30 minutes after cardio to eat to take advanage of the fat burning state.

I think alot of people can relate to where you are now, trust me you will look 1000 times better if you are at 150lbs of lean mass versus your current weight. You can make clean gains when starting where you are at now, I think you should adopt a 40/40/20, cut back on cardio and lift hard keeping rest times very short.

good luck man.
ACEHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 12:14 PM   #3
aggiecasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEHOLE
I think you should concentrate on building muscle before worrying about 5lbs of fat on a 120lb frame.
good luck man.
Not sure if it's one of those "I call everyone man" thing (which is totally cool with me), but I'm not a man..
Old 02-Mar-04, 12:24 PM   #4
ACEHOLE

Ok, I am embarrassed for jumping to that conclusion...

I do apologize, this negates much of what i said. Haha

At any rate, I prefer a low/no carb meal after cardio myself unless is somehting really explosive like sprints or a hike at a really fast pace up a good incline.

ps: you should let me add u to messenger to I can hit on you since yer a chic.
ACEHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 12:31 PM   #5
aggiecasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEHOLE
ps: you should let me add u to messenger to I can hit on you since yer a chic.
That's more like it!

I usually switch between oatmeal w/ protein powder or a protein shake after my morning cardio, but with a cruise coming in 6 weeks, I just wanted to get a little firmer all around. Thanks!
Old 02-Mar-04, 12:50 PM   #6
Marmot

I personally slam a protein/carb drink immediately post cardio and then eat a whole food protein/carb meal 1 hour later. I will then have another protein/carb meal in 3 hours. I take full advantage of the increased insulin sensitivity brought about by cardio. The majority of those carbs will be used for glycogen restoration as opposed to be storing as fat. My drink is 30g of protein and 60g of carbs. My two meals are around 30/80. Im 170 lbs. I have remained lean using this philosophy and I find it invaluable for recovery. I do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and have no more large carb feedings after that second meal.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 01:32 PM   #7
physelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiecasi
I've searched through the threads for post-cardio meals and what the make up should be for replenishing your body, but staying on the goal of cutting.

What I've found are opinions about when to eat that post cardio meal (and then the next meal), how many carbs/pro/fat to eat, etc.

So, my question is, what do you think is the best meal to eat after a cardio workout of moderate intensity (i.e. 45 minutes on the stairstepper)? Not sure if I helps, but I'm 5'6", 120lb (checking bf% today), and looking to lose about 5 lb of fat, but gain that back in muscle. My typical day is broken up into p/c/f of 50/35/15.

Any suggestions?
Have a post-workout shake like you would after a weight workout. Consume a carb-protein shake with a 2:1 ratio of carbsrotein. The carbs used should be those that are quickly absorbed such as glucose or dextrose. Your protein source should be a quickly absorbed type too. Whey protein is the best. There are many products on the market that contain these ingredients in the ratios mentioned or you could make your own.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
physelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 02:53 PM   #8
aggiecasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot
I do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and have no more large carb feedings after that second meal.
Ahhh... When you say no more large carb feedings, would you mind giving me an idea of a limit of carbs compared to total calories you intake per meal? For example, if my meals were usually around 300 cals, would you say to limit my later-in-the-day feedings to, say, 20g of carbs?
Old 02-Mar-04, 02:55 PM   #9
aggiecasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by physelite
Have a post-workout shake like you would after a weight workout. Consume a carb-protein shake with a 2:1 ratio of carbsrotein. The carbs used should be those that are quickly absorbed such as glucose or dextrose. Your protein source should be a quickly absorbed type too. Whey protein is the best. There are many products on the market that contain these ingredients in the ratios mentioned or you could make your own.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
So you think there is a need for more carbs to 'recover' like after a weight workout? Do you mind if I ask your reasoning behind this? I've been under the impression that the cardio workout didn't need as much 'recovery' for your muscles, especially if the focus is leaning out. Hmmm..
Old 02-Mar-04, 03:28 PM   #10
Marmot

The post workout drink consists of simple sugars (maltodextrin and dextrose.) The subsequent 2 whole food meals consist of starchy complex carbs (I eat a lot of oatmeal) and fruit. The meals after that will contain only veggies. Those meals are predominantly protein and fat. Around 30g of protein and 15g of fat. I keep those meals relatively carb free under 10g. I get over half my daily calories in those 3 meals after my workout. I have found that eating the majority of my carbs during and post exercise I am able to remain lean while keeping my carb intake fairly high to supply adequate energy and recovery for my next workout. I do almost the exact same thing for my lifting workouts. The only difference is that I will 'fuel' that workout. I do not lift on a empty stomach.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 03:58 PM   #11
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by physelite
Have a post-workout shake like you would after a weight workout. Consume a carb-protein shake with a 2:1 ratio of carbsrotein. The carbs used should be those that are quickly absorbed such as glucose or dextrose.
Um ... that isn't what I would recommend. After cardio exercise day (when when I am not doing resistance training), I totally avoid high glycemic intake. To each their own ...

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________P R O G R E S S___P I C S
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 04:18 PM   #12
aggiecasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursor
Um ... that isn't what I would recommend. After cardio exercise day (when when I am not doing resistance training), I totally avoid high glycemic intake. To each their own ...
Thanks for another voice out there... I thought I might be a weird one.
Old 03-Mar-04, 08:01 AM   #13
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
If I'm able to eat right after I finish my run I'll have a chicken pita, or a turkey breast sub on whole wheat.
Old 03-Mar-04, 12:13 PM   #14
physelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiecasi
So you think there is a need for more carbs to 'recover' like after a weight workout? Do you mind if I ask your reasoning behind this? I've been under the impression that the cardio workout didn't need as much 'recovery' for your muscles, especially if the focus is leaning out. Hmmm..
The person who made the original post stated they are training for 30-45 minutes, carbs post-workout with protein will help replenish glycogen stores which will be somewhat depleted.

Carbs post-workout whether after weight training or aerobics aren't going to increase the risk of their being stored as fat like they may at other meals of the day.
physelite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building muscle, carb drink, carb meal, cardio exercise, complex carb, complex carbs, daily cal, daily calorie, daily calories, fat burn, fat burning, high glycemic, lean mass, moderate intensity, morning cardio, protein powder, protein shake, protein source, resistance training, weight training, weight workout, whey protein, workout drink, workout shake