Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 01-Dec-04, 09:12 PM   #1
eb86

What does being hungry mean?

I have a questions, its probably been answered, but owell. What does it mean when the body is telling you that you are hungry. Does it mean that you have run out of calories to burn? or what? Thanks for the replies.

-eb86

eb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-04, 07:52 AM   #2
CliffStamp

If you are lean and healthy it means you should eat because you need food or else you will start burning fat or protein depending on how active you are.

If you are overweight it can simply mean you are used to eating. This is why chronically overweight people have such problems trying to maintain weight lost.

It takes a *long* time for your body to rest back to a healthy food intake.

-Cliff
CliffStamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-04, 04:10 PM   #3
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp
If you are lean and healthy it means you should eat because you need food or else you will start burning fat or protein depending on how active you are.

If you are overweight it can simply mean you are used to eating. This is why chronically overweight people have such problems trying to maintain weight lost.

It takes a *long* time for your body to rest back to a healthy food intake.

-Cliff

im pretty lean, but im bulking right now. when i first started bulking it was EXTREMELY hard for me to eat the nessecary calories cuz i was always just so full.

but it seems that im actually getting used to eating meals ever 3 hours..and infact lately...if i dont eat every 3 hours i get really hungry.

I'm wondering if its 1 because ive been lifting hard and my body wants the nutrients
2. or cuz ive just gotten used to eating and my stomach has become accustom to food every 3 hours.
alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-04, 11:34 PM   #4
armorforsleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard
I'm wondering if its 1 because ive been lifting hard and my body wants the nutrients
2. or cuz ive just gotten used to eating and my stomach has become accustom to food every 3 hours.
i think its a little of both, probably more of #2. when i first went on a bulking diet i was always full... when my next meal time came around i didnt want to eat cause i was not hungry at all. but after a month or so my body became dependent on each meal, if i skipped a meal i would feel very hungry.

of course, any strenuous exercise boosts your metabolism so nutrients are absorbed more quickly, hence your body begins hunger telling you to eat more.
armorforsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-04, 11:36 PM   #5
abarlament

Send a message via AIM to abarlament Send a message via MSN to abarlament
When you are dehydrated you can mistake it for being hungry, also. I noticed when I increased my water intake I was generally less hungry throughout the day. That, and ketosis.
abarlament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Dec-04, 07:33 AM   #6
CliffStamp

Once you start and enhanced eating habit your body will very quickly become accustomed to that and you will start feeling hungry simply out of habit. If you are on a bulking diet its unlikely you are actually hungry. Just watch the scales and your progress to make sure you don't overeat too much.

-Cliff
Old 10-Dec-04, 02:15 AM   #7
flippy

In my anatomy course I learned that the water content in your cerebral spinal fluid is constantly under surveilance, and if it is lacking the brain senses it and makes you thirsty. There is a whole process of nutrient transfer that would take too long to explain so just look it up.Anyways, the feeling of thirst correlates with that of hunger, and the brain sometimes can't tell, so you eat because you feel hungry. It is so true that drinking more water will suppress your appetite; and with less sugar intake and a healthier appettite, your workouts become more productive.
flippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-04, 12:12 PM   #8
rbuchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffStamp

-Cliff
When will you burn fat and when will you burn protien?
rbuchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-04, 01:06 PM   #9
CliffStamp

When you go into a need for calories you will first start burning protein, if this didn't happen people would starve immediately. In order to stop burning protein you must have an activity level which shows your body that you need the muscle mass to survive.

-Cliff

Tags
burn fat, burning fat, muscle mass