Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition

Diet and Nutrition Discuss the best diets for both losing and gaining weight. Sub forum: Related Recipes

Old 26-Sep-05, 02:12 PM   #1
Asazman

Arrow

Why am I always tired?

Every time I sit down to do something I feel like I'm about to fall asleep, instantly. I am sleeping between seven and a half to eight and a half hours a night consitantly, at the gym three days a week, and from what I can tell I'm eating healthy (revert to this thread). I stay away from sugar all day long, drink pleanty of water, and only caffeinated thing I have all day is an iced latte in the morning.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but I'm also ADD and am medicated for it. Right now I am on a med called Straterra. I haven't noticed it spike since I've started taking this med, however it has made me a little more spacy.

What am I missing? Am I just a tired person? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks guys
Asazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 02:18 PM   #2
maverick
missin the gym

How intense is your training and when's the last time you took a week off? I know when I go a little too hardcore for a while I get a bit run down. I feel better during and after my workout, but other than that, I'm a zombie.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 02:45 PM   #3
Lady C
"I know squat"

Try cutting back on the oatmeal, pasta, rice, breads and potatoes. Replace those calories with veggies. See if this makes a difference.
Old 26-Sep-05, 03:36 PM   #4
Dins_PR

You aren't eating enough fruits and vegetables. If you eat a largely fruit and vegatable diet you will be amazed at how much energy you have. If all you eat is carbs and meat you are going to be tired and sloggish all the time.
Old 26-Sep-05, 03:54 PM   #5
gymrat

I agree with the suggestions about more veggies.

Also, it could be a problem with your medication. I know of a few folks who were on ADHD meds and they felt like zombies. It's probably worth checking with your doctor to see if there is another alternative or perhaps your current dosage needs tweaking.
gymrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 04:12 PM   #6
pierini

How old are you? Younger people seem to be sleepier that us middle-age men, all other things being equal, unless it's 10:00 p.m. or later.

I point my finger at the meds as well. Who sold you on your "ADD" label?
Old 26-Sep-05, 04:27 PM   #7
Mr Ian

I def agree with the younger people need more sleep. Also try taking a multi vitamin. I know that makes a big difference
Mr Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 04:32 PM   #8
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

i'm ADHD as well, as is my older daughter. ADD is NOT a "real" problem - it simply means you have a shorter attention span than teachers want you to have. no REALLY normal kid or person can be expected to listen raptly to someone drone on about ordinals and polynomials or adverbial clauses for 75 minutes without getting bored out of their gourd and acting up. by doping up kids, they can reduce classroom disruption and ease up on the demands made on the teacher and, hence, lighten up the budget by removing some or all teaching assitants.

now, if you honestly can't sit still if you're not interested and can't get out of it when you ARE interested, that's different. for example, i can't sit through an average television show such as "seinfeld" - i always get up about halfway through and go do something else - but i can watch CSI or Star Trek a dozen times in a row even if i've seen the episode a hundred times before without moving from the couch. i can't sit through a church service - i have to get up and leave about every ten minutes or i have to jiggle my foot or click my nails or something - but i can sit at the computer 18 hours at a stretch. i can't sit on the bus or the train without getting up and pacing the aisle, but i can drive for six hours straight.

seriously, lose the meds. they do NOT help. what's the good of being able to focus in class if you never have to learn to control yourself? if you've been diagnosed as ADD, then it's the *teacher* that will have to adjust to you. both my kids were identified and the school put unbelievable amounts of pressure on me to dope my girls up until i literally went incandescent and pitched the mother of all fits. i flat out told the teachers and guidance counsellors that my kids have been identified as special needs and the law says the school MUST accomodate their needs; it does NOT say i have to put them on drugs.

if you're ADHD, however, it still doesn't mean you're automatically a gimp who needs to be medicated in order to sit still. it means you need to learn certain things at a more fundamental level than non-ADHD ppl; things like, don't interrupt when someone is speaking; don't get up and leave in the middle of a church service, movie, etc; make sure you're not hitting something when you have to kick your foot; don't jiggle your knee if the table's not stable; and so on. "normal" ppl don't need to be told these things and just automatically follow along with them. we, on the other other, get a thought in our head and our body's already kicked into gear and acting on it - hence the eating with the mouth full or starting a new topic of conversation in the middle of a sentence.

the drugs run your body in a higher gear, so yes, you'll be more tired at the end of the day. it's a helluva lot more brain strain, but life without meds is a lot better than life on speed.

Last edited by threenorns; 26-Sep-05 at 04:42 PM.
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 04:41 PM   #9
Rats!

I concur with threenorns. Meds for AD(H)D are bull****. My pediatrician was a dolt and decided to put me on Ritalin and then Adderall then anti depressants like Wellbutrin and all they did was make me feel depressed and my social anxiety got even worse. Two years later I was completely over it, without the help of meds or doctors. My parents even wasted thousands of dollars on psychologists and psychiatrists in those 2 years and they didn't do ****.

Last edited by Rats!; 26-Sep-05 at 04:44 PM.
Rats! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 04:44 PM   #10
threenorns
Hi Drama Queen

oh, absolutely - you get put on the speed to help you focus, then you're too tired to function so they give you another prescription to wake you up but now you can't sleep at night so it's another pill to help you sleep then a pill to stop the side effects from the other pills interacting and then one to help you wake up in the morning and then a pill to stimulate your now-suppressed appetite and it just never ends!
threenorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 05:04 PM   #11
LINDA

My favourite family doctor won't prescribe Ritilin or other med as they have come to be requested by parents and teachers even without a proper diagnosis for ADD and ADHD. His first line of action is to suggest giving the person a cup of coffee or a glass of coke in the morning. Imagine that caffeine actually used as a drug.

Azazman, try drinking coffee when you are sleepy and see if it makes a difference. It's not evil, especialy not as harmful as OTC caffeine pills and other meds.
Old 26-Sep-05, 05:12 PM   #12
pierini

My wife, a former elementary school teacher, thought that the ADD-label was a bunch of crap. Many teachers and parents wanted students to be labeled as ADD to medicate them and control their behavior.

My wife would say "show me a kid who is labeled ADD and I'll show you a parent who lacks parenting skills or a teacher who isn't willing do practice classroom management skills to keep students in line." She prided herself on her ability to tame the wildest student. She's had less success with me, however.
Old 26-Sep-05, 05:52 PM   #13
carcajou

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns
i'm ADHD as well
You are ADHD yet you have 4000+ posts in 6 months?

Isn't that OCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Imagine that caffeine actually used as a drug
...er...caffeine IS a drug...

Last edited by carcajou; 26-Sep-05 at 05:55 PM.
carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-05, 08:03 PM   #14
LINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcajou
You are ADHD yet you have 4000+ posts in 6 months?

Isn't that OCD?

...er...caffeine IS a drug...
4000+ posts in 6 months is called "post-whoring" on my other favourite message board!

And yes you understood my point about caffeine!:
Old 26-Sep-05, 09:52 PM   #15
Asazman

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I will address each one of the responses seperately.

Quote:
How intense is your training and when's the last time you took a week off?
very intense. I don't sweat a lot while actually running, but about ten mins later it looks like i just got out of a pool. I am pushing myself pretty hard now - I'm on the weights I was on about a year ago, but I'll work my way up to what I was at at the end of the school year. Uhh, week off? This is new to me...I work out three times a week, as I did last year, and hardly ever missed a day. I love running, gives me such a rush..wouldn't want to take a week off from that.

Quote:
Try cutting back on the oatmeal, pasta, rice, breads and potatoes. Replace those calories with veggies. See if this makes a difference.
I cut back on all of those about five days ago....basically I am running out of food, but I find if I don't go to the store I don't spend as much money heh. The only thing I have left at the moment are peanuts..massive amounts of peanuts. I've been having a couple handfuls to replace one or so small meal a day. I plan on going to the store soon, but I'm procrastonating. I'll be sure to pick up more fruits/vegitables than anything else.

Quote:
How old are you? Younger people seem to be sleepier that us middle-age men, all other things being equal, unless it's 10:00 p.m. or later.

I point my finger at the meds as well. Who sold you on your "ADD" label?
19. Yes I know I need more sleep, but keep in mind I'm in college...there is simply too much work to be done. As for the meds - I am somewhat of a conglomerate of a thousand little disorders/abnormalities..dyslexia, ocd, add, and a mass assortment of various anxieties. Up until the age of three my parents (and the doctors) thought I was autistic. So they pumped me full of prozac..back in the good 'ol days when it was only available in liquid form. Then to elementary school, they switched me to zoloft, and when I got to highschool I was moved over to paxil. I gotta say, moving off paxil was probably the most horrible experience I've ever endured...but then I went right on prozac again. I've been on three different ADD meds - I started taking a drug called concerta in 9th grade, then about junior year I moved over to ritalin, which I gotta say really was a wonderful drug. The only problem is that it only lasted 8 hours..which was fine for highschool, but college it just wasn't enough. The beginning of this year I started on straterra - a non-stimulant add med that stays in your system 24 hours a day. Side effects were a little too much at first, but they go away, and now it works great.

Quote:
seriously, lose the meds. they do NOT help.
I don't mean to sound disprespectful throughout any of this so please excuse me if it comes out wrong. ADD meds have changed my life..and it's not a psychological effect. With my ritalin, the med was completely out of my system in about 14 hours (lose effects after 8 hrs). So I could take it on monday, not on tues or wed. then on thurs and it would be fully effective again. I've got to tell you - there is a tremendous difference. Huge. I can't even describe in words how much more effecient it makes me. I could go on and on and on praising these drugs, but my point is this: these drugs ARE NOT placebos. They work.

Quote:
what's the good of being able to focus in class if you never have to learn to control yourself?
it's not so much that I can't sit down in class and take notes and pay attention (which I can without the meds), it's that it is simply nearly impossible to do work outside of school. I mean I could NOT sit down and study outside of school, no matter how hard I tried my body just wouldn't let me. I'd just get up and do something else eventually. Drugs allow me to sit down, and stay there and complete the work.

Quote:
I concur with threenorns. Meds for AD(H)D are bull****. My pediatrician was a dolt and decided to put me on Ritalin and then Adderall then anti depressants like Wellbutrin and all they did was make me feel depressed and my social anxiety got even worse. Two years later I was completely over it, without the help of meds or doctors. My parents even wasted thousands of dollars on psychologists and psychiatrists in those 2 years and they didn't do ****.
Sounds like that's a problem with your doctor. Everyone is wired differently - some drugs won't work so well with you and excellent for someone else.

Quote:
oh, absolutely - you get put on the speed to help you focus, then you're too tired to function so they give you another prescription to wake you up but now you can't sleep at night so it's another pill to help you sleep then a pill to stop the side effects from the other pills interacting and then one to help you wake up in the morning and then a pill to stimulate your now-suppressed appetite and it just never ends!
Keep in mind that straterra is not a stimulant like ritalin/adderall, it works in a completely different way. But I mean I've always sort of been tired during the days..I've never had great sleeping patterns. So this issue predates my use of add meds.

Quote:
Azazman, try drinking coffee when you are sleepy and see if it makes a difference. It's not evil, especialy not as harmful as OTC caffeine pills and other meds.
Caffeine is not all that effective on people with ADD. I forget the mechanics of it, but it simply takes more caffeine to effect people with this disorder (ADD NOT ADHD). Up until a couple years ago I thought it didn't effect me at all - I would have a couple cups of coffee than fall asleep like thirty minutes later. I discovered a wonderful thing called espresso a while back - I didn't feel a buzz at all unless I got up to six shots. This amount of caffeine wears off in a little over an hour, and I can usually fall right asleep in about two hours. I have an iced latte in the morning with two shots, sometimes four. Works for only so long...

Quote:
My wife would say "show me a kid who is labeled ADD and I'll show you a parent who lacks parenting skills or a teacher who isn't willing do practice classroom management skills to keep students in line." She prided herself on her ability to tame the wildest student. She's had less success with me, however.
My mother is a child psychiatrist specializing in play therapy. She deals with OCD/ADD kids every day and has been for the past few decades. She has had more patience with me than anyone else in the world. I assure you, when I was in elementary school, I was the ****ing anti-christ, she would have had a ball with me heh.

Please don't take any of this badly, I am just posting replies to all these for the sake of sharing knowledge..been a long day so some of that may sound sort of 'short.' As for your advice - I will definetly pick up more fruits/vegies, and drop down on the carbs a bit.

Thank you for all the replies! Let's see how this turns out..
Asazman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bell pepper, blood test, fall asleep, half hour, hours straight, liquid form, low sugar, multi vit, multi vitamin, quaker oats, sports nutrition, stop taking