Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > General Fitness

General Fitness CardioVascular exercises, warming up, swimming, yoga, pilates, etc.

Old 06-Mar-07, 02:16 PM   #1
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Knot in hamstring

Last week I got a knot and some soreness in my hamstring. There wasn't anything specific I remembered doing to injure it. At the time the knot started, I was just sitting at my computer. I felt a cramp and then a tightness and that knot started then. I was sitting somewhat awkwardly, but I am fairly flexible, and I often sit in somewhat strange positions. It had been 4 days since I had last worked legs, and the normal DOMS was gone, so it was not caused by my workout. It went away on its own after about 2-3 days.

I am curious what causes knots to suddenly form in muscles. Also what can be done to make it go away faster.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-07, 02:28 PM   #2
gymgirl
Site Moderator

I'm not 100% sure but I thought knots like what you are describing could be caused by dehydration, or mineral imbalances? Do you get enough potassium?

You said you had not done legs in 4 days but what about running?

as for what can be done, have you tried foam rolling knots? nothing seems to get my knots out better then some QT with a foam roller!

my workout journal

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Mar-07, 02:40 PM   #3
trainerty

I'd like to add:

"Knots" are many times caused from over-reacting GTOs (golgi tendon organ) triggering your muscle spindles to contract (spasm). It can be nutrition as gym girl stated as well.
Why do they happen? To keep your muscle from ripping away from the tendon and bone (in theory).

Foam rolling is great. However, the hamstring complex holds a pretty deep muscle belly....so you best have a very hard foam roller to get the benefits. Also, you can stand on a tennis ball and roll your foot around on it for about a minute. This will release deep fascia which runs the length of your body.

Me Facebook

trainerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Mar-07, 01:41 PM   #4
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Thanks for the hints guys! It could def be a nutrition issue. If it happens again, I'll make sure to start eating a banana every day. I can't remember exactly how recently I had run, but I hadn't been to the gym at all the two days previous. So not for at least 3 days. I don't have a foam roller, but will try the tennis ball thing if it happens again.

I don't really expect it to happen again, it seemed like a random thing. I was just curious what causes it to happen.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Mar-07, 11:26 PM   #5
.V.

Not having the right amount of magnesium, potassium, or sodium can cause it. What trainerty said can cause it.

If it becomes a chronic problem, then you probably have a soft tissue injury and need to be careful because down there it can lead to sciatica type pain. Look for an active release practicioner.

There are no real ones here, but a massage therapist I know is learning and used me for practice. Great stuff.

Tags
foam rolling

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pulled hamstring bowling
hamstring workouts for speed