Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 06-Feb-04, 04:39 PM   #1
S3ngh

Bigger hamstrings, Squats or Deadlifts best?

Hi guys,

Im likeing the way my quads are developing, they seem wide from the front view and nice and curved from the side view. My problem is that my hamstrings are really really lagging, from the side profile my legs look quite thin. So, should I squat then deadlift? Or deadlift then squat? I prefer to do squats first due to greater strength at the beginning of my workout, but then I find my legs are a little tired for deadlifting so I have to lift a fair bit less than if I was to squat first.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
S3ngh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Feb-04, 04:45 PM   #2
Wolfnatas

Personally, I can't squat & deadlift on the same day. I guess I could if I really wanted to, but if it's going to require that I use less weight than I can normally handle on the second exercise, I'd rather move it to another day.
Old 06-Feb-04, 04:57 PM   #3
B.A.

Good Mornings and Romanian deadlifts (you must extend the hips to incorporate the hamstrings properly) are two of my favourite movements for developing my hamstring strength.

- B.A.
Old 06-Feb-04, 08:44 PM   #4
Spinster

Send a message via Yahoo to Spinster
Straight leg deads always kill my Hams. I can't use squats to potential due to weak ass knees.
Spinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Feb-04, 11:50 PM   #5
gettnlnr

stiff legged deadlifts are by far the best for hamstring development, imo.
gettnlnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Feb-04, 04:39 AM   #6
TommyD

Send a message via AIM to TommyD Send a message via MSN to TommyD
SLDL's are the best exercise for your hamstrings because they are a compound exercise (meaning you can use a lot of weight compared to an isolatory exercise like leg curls) and because they target your hamstrings.

That doesn't mean don't do squats though. Squats are the number one exercise for building your legs up so if you skip them, be prepared for some odd looking legs.

Do them both, get the best of both worlds.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Feb-04, 11:53 AM   #7
ebon00

I agree with most here that stiff-leg deadlifts are the best for hamstrings; especially if you also do a knee-targeted hamstring movement (any hamstring curl will do). However, before trying on squats and deadlifts in the same session (which is a lot of work) make sure that you're doing full squats. That will make the hamstrings work harder and will allow you to tax them during your quad training.

Now, most people don't do enough hamstring and adductor work compared to their quad work (and definitely not compared to the work they do for shoulders) so I think it's good to keep a roughly 1:1 ratio of quad-to-ham work to balance things out. Think about it this way, what's more common, a hamstring injusry or a quad injury? So if you do those 5 sets of squats you'd better counter that with 5 sets of stiff-leg deadlifts.
ebon00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compound exercise, leg curl, leg dead, leg deadlift, leg deads, romanian deadlift, romanian deadlifts, stiff leg, stiff legged deadlift, stiff legged deadlifts