Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 01-Mar-04, 01:42 PM   #1
genEus

Question

Doing cardio with sore legs a bad idea?

I do my leg workout once a week with max weight for 4-6 reps, a la max-ot, and it takes a long time for me to stop hurting after the training session - about 4 or five days to fully heal. I wanted to alternate a day weightlifting, a day cardio, but I find that I can barely walk, much less do HIIT runs on the treadmill the days following my legs workouts. By the 3rd day my legs are still not fully healed for a leg workout, but enough for me to run easily.

SO, is it OK to do 3 days lifting followed by 2 days cardio, and if not, is it OK to do cardio with sore legs? In reality when I get moving, I donít feel the soreness that much, but isnít it bad for the muscles to do that before they at least have a little chance of recovery?

Thx.
genEus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-04, 01:47 PM   #2
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Well, im doing 3 cardio days, 3 weight training days. Whether im doing upper or lower body, i use my legs alot due to dead lifts on uppper day and squats on lower day, then i use a stationary bike.

I find that while my legs are usually almost always a little bit sore, im still progressing in my squat and deadlifts.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Mar-04, 01:52 PM   #3
atherjen

I find personally that by doing cardio the day after leg training, the 48hours DOMS is significantly decreased. although the cardio sessions is grueling. keep in mind that cardio session is not intervals, just an intense pace.
Old 01-Mar-04, 02:00 PM   #4
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
It is O.K. to run while you are sore. If you do a light easy run it may even help your legs feel less sore. It works for me. I usually slow down on the treadmill by .5 miles per hour.
Old 01-Mar-04, 02:28 PM   #5
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by atherjen
I find personally that by doing cardio the day after leg training, the 48hours DOMS is significantly decreased. although the cardio sessions is grueling. keep in mind that cardio session is not intervals, just an intense pace.
My cardio is HIIT and very intense. After leg training days, the HIIT cardio is very very tough in the beginning but seems to adjust for me as i go through the 20 minutes HIIT. Other than the fact that i have slight soreness almost all the time (other than after my day of rest), I have not noticed any decrease in performance on weight training days.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 02:52 PM   #6
physelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by genEus
I do my leg workout once a week with max weight for 4-6 reps, a la max-ot, and it takes a long time for me to stop hurting after the training session - about 4 or five days to fully heal. I wanted to alternate a day weightlifting, a day cardio, but I find that I can barely walk, much less do HIIT runs on the treadmill the days following my legs workouts. By the 3rd day my legs are still not fully healed for a leg workout, but enough for me to run easily.

SO, is it OK to do 3 days lifting followed by 2 days cardio, and if not, is it OK to do cardio with sore legs? In reality when I get moving, I donít feel the soreness that much, but isnít it bad for the muscles to do that before they at least have a little chance of recovery?

Thx.
You should be okay to do light to moderate cardio. Also, there's no reason to be so sore after a workout. While you should put everything into your workout training to the point you can't move the next day will in the long run hinder your progress.

Also, make sure you are getting adequate sleep, protein, calories and are drinking a good carb/protein shake pre and post-workout.
physelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Mar-04, 04:31 PM   #7
genEus

Quote:
Originally Posted by physelite
You should be okay to do light to moderate cardio. Also, there's no reason to be so sore after a workout. While you should put everything into your workout training to the point you can't move the next day will in the long run hinder your progress.

Also, make sure you are getting adequate sleep, protein, calories and are drinking a good carb/protein shake pre and post-workout.
Umm, I've found that kinda impossible... If I do 3 sets of 4-6 reps with max weight on each body part I exercise in a session and let my body heal before the next similar workout, there is NO way that I am not sore the next day, and especially when I do legs. And, I don't really do light/moderate cardio, currently running HIIT style, so I need my legs to be in quite good shape to do so
genEus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Mar-04, 11:10 AM   #8
physelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by genEus
Umm, I've found that kinda impossible... If I do 3 sets of 4-6 reps with max weight on each body part I exercise in a session and let my body heal before the next similar workout, there is NO way that I am not sore the next day, and especially when I do legs. And, I don't really do light/moderate cardio, currently running HIIT style, so I need my legs to be in quite good shape to do so
You don't need to fail at the end of each set in order to make progress. Training this way will over time fry your nervous system and ability to recover.

If you want to do this you need to make sure to reduce your volume and intensity every 4th week by 60%.

If you are doing HIIT training do it about 2 days before and after your leg workouts.
physelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-09, 07:50 AM   #9
alabbadi

I find it confusing and maybe contradictive sometimes.

what i am on about is the whole idea of bodybuilding, the whole idea is to build a strong fit muscular body, but the reality is we are always in pain and seem unfit.
i mean reading some of the comments here on leg soreness, some say they are sore for upto five days and can barely walk the next two days after a hard leg workout.

does that sound healthy, i mean don't get me wrong i get sore for a couple of days too, and to tell the truth i couldn't run after someone if they mugged me. probably i wouldn't be able to fight them off even if i caught them too. as i would probably be aching in my shoulders or chest from working out upper body.

so why do we do it if we seem to be in pain all the time and feel so unfit.

i haven't been able to answer that question yet.

ANY IDEAS!

regards
alabbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-09, 11:19 AM   #10
.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabbadi View Post
so why do we do it if we seem to be in pain all the time and feel so unfit.

i haven't been able to answer that question yet.

ANY IDEAS!

regards

Because it makes us look so damn good at the beach.

Seriously, if you are always in pain then you probably aren't training as intelligently as possible.

Sure, there are going to be sore days if you are always pushing to improve. If we don't hit walls, work to our limit, and push beyond the limit...we don't improve. But unless you have a very specific goal like adding maximum size for a bodybuilding contest or maximum strength for a powerlifting comp... there is no need to train in such a manner as you are always in pain.

I'm making very nice improvements and am seldom in pain from my workouts...during yes...the next day? Not often. Often there is an "awareness" of the muscles worked, But no actual pain. However, I do train smart. Heavy days, light days, medium days...full body workouts, weight training is never more than 3 days a week. Brief, brutal, effective...and most important...RECOVERABLE.
Old 12-Aug-09, 05:17 PM   #11
alabbadi

Wink

Re:Sore legs a bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by .V. View Post
Because it makes us look so damn good at the beach.

Seriously, if you are always in pain then you probably aren't training as intelligently as possible.
i agree, and to be honest the only part of my body that takes two days to recover are my legs, the rest of my body is fine from other workouts.

I have started to train more wisely now and i have reached the stage where i am happy with my body to an extent so i do not need to push it to the limit, i just do enough to maintain it.

with legs it is a bit different as i am trying to put on a bit of size, so i push them a bit harder, but the pain is only for a couple of days, uncomfortable sometimes. but as they say no pain no gain

regards
alabbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-09, 08:13 AM   #12
sooner_ed

Well, let me ask you a question.

Do you consider yourself a bodybuilder who runs or a runner who lifts?

Once you answer that question, you can more intelligently build a workout plan around that.

I run into this problem on a weekly basis. However, I'm a runner who lifts so I understand that I have to take it somewhat easy on leg day.

Right now, I'm doing a three day split; push, pull, lower body. I also workout twice a day, which gives me more opportunity for running. I run 4.25 miles in the morning before work and I lift after work. That way, I know I can take some time off from running after leg day if I need to.

So it really depends on what your goals are.

You can run while still sore, but you also have to listen to your body. If you start running and you're absolutely way too sore, then you take a day or two off from running. As others have said, you don't need to train to failure to make significant gains. Recovery is crucial but if you find you're having to take too much time for recovery to the extent you're not able to workout, whether lifting or cardio, then it sounds like you may be training too hard.

If you feel you seem unfit, then perhaps back off on the intensity of your workouts until you get to that point. It takes time to become fit. Sometimes I have a tendency of overdoing it and I have to remind myself it will take time to get back in shape.

Also, keep in mind that running is a leg workout in and of itself, especially if you run hills. So you could also incorporate running as part of your lower body workout instead of separating it in terms of lifting and cardio. I hope that made sense.

Sorry about the book. Your post just touched home with me because I struggle with this issue on a regular basis.
Eat right...exercise right...but enjoy yourself along the way!
sooner_ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead lift, dead lifts, hiit cardio, hiit training, leg training, leg workout, leg workouts, max weight, moderate cardio, protein shake, stationary bike, weight training

You may also search for: