Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 26-Jan-05, 02:43 AM   #1
Michael

Question

Feeling Sick After Running?

hello,

i have started running in the morning couple weeks ago, so far so good. but there is one little thing really annoys me: when i wake up, i get change and go for a stretch, then start running for like 10-15 mins, the moment when i get back, i feel really sick, i nearly throw-up in the shower this morning! does anyone know what causes this?

thanks,
michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-05, 05:12 AM   #2
Zackoz

someone once told me its because when you exercise, your body releases a chemical (cant remember what), and if you exercise intensively, your body releases so much of this chemical its almost like overdosing on it in a smaller way, and thats why you feel sick, and sometimes throw up.
Zackoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-05, 06:57 AM   #3
sooner_ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackoz
someone once told me its because when you exercise, your body releases a chemical (cant remember what), and if you exercise intensively, your body releases so much of this chemical its almost like overdosing on it in a smaller way, and thats why you feel sick, and sometimes throw up.
I've never heard that one but that doesn't mean it's not true.
Zackoz, why don't you try getting up about 30 minutes earlier, grab a small snack and drink about 8oz of water. Wait about 20 minutes, then do your stretching before running. Perhaps you just need something in your stomach.
Eat right...exercise right...but enjoy yourself along the way!
sooner_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-05, 08:47 AM   #4
Vas85

Send a message via MSN to Vas85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackoz
do you mean Lactic Acid? or something similar to that, i hardly ever run, but sometimes i find if i run on an empty stomach i'll get abit dizzy/feel sick afterwards, i dont run on a full stomach, but i like to have a 3/4full tank of food in my stomach
Old 26-Jan-05, 09:50 AM   #5
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
That happens to me if I don't eat before I workout. Doesn't matter if it's running or weights, I need something in my stomach!
Old 26-Jan-05, 10:10 AM   #6
Zackoz

Not lactic acid...its the chemical that people can become actually addicted to if you exercise loads...i really cant remember what its called....
Zackoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-05, 10:20 AM   #7
Lift2Live

Send a message via Yahoo to Lift2Live
Endorphins or Dopamine? Just a guess... Wouldn't know for sure but food in the tummy is always a smart plan.
Lift2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-05, 11:02 AM   #8
Michael

well as many articles i have read, they suggest to do cardio in the morning as you have such a low sugar level which would make you burn off more calories. i will try putting somethin in my stomach next time..jsut in case..thanks guys

michael
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-05, 04:44 PM   #9
.V.

Endorphins, (polypeptides). Opiate like chemicals found in the brain - they occur naturally - and are natural stress responses eg: weightlifting, running. They work similar to opiates. Therefore the name endorphin (endogenous morphine). There are over 20 of them. The only ones I can remember right now are corticotrophin, cortisol, catecholamines, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. They are the body's way of controlling pain, and helping heal damage. They are also part of the immune response. They are addictive too, just tell an experienced runner or lifter that they aren't allowed to go anymore. One side effect of all opiates and all endorphins is nausea and even vomiting. If you get a big enough release, you will get sick. You should eventually get used to it and not get sick anymore after a while.

Eat first, it will help. You could also take a mild antihistamine too, but this would kind of defeat the purpose of the endorphin release. And make you sleepy and adversly effect your run.

Here is a prescription to get the body used to it.

Pick foot up, put foot down, pick other foot up, put it down, repeat rapidly for as long and as far as needed.

Last edited by .V.; 27-Jan-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 23-Jan-08, 02:50 PM   #10
ijeremy

Sorry for the thread-necro, but this fit my question exactly.

I had this problem for as long as I've been running. I get what feels like motion sickness which forces me to either slow down if I'm at the gym or throw up if I'm in a race. I never really got over it.

I'll have to try the antihistamine thing.
ijeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-08, 07:20 AM   #11
Lady C
"I know squat"

I did a search and found this
Getting sick after a workout can be caused by several different things;

1. Dehydration
2. Heat exhaustion
3. Vagal reaction
4. Hyponatremia
5. The most Likely Causes of Exercise induced sickness.

1+2. Exercise induced sickness from dehydration and heat exaustion is usually because of the increased effort causing you to sweat out lots of fluids that are not replaced.

3. Vagal Reaction - Exercise induced sickness from the vagal reaction is more rare but happens. Most folks heart rate increases when they are excited, scared, or doing a hard workout. However, a small percent of people experiance the opposite. Thier heart rate slows, blood pressure falls, and they can experience intense nausea with or without vomiting or getting sick.

Here is a quote from National Library Of Medicine
Quote:
"Vagal reactions" may follow sudden emotional or physical strain in "vagotonic individuals" and are usually benign. In the case described, emotional stimuli caused life-threatening vagal reactions in a "healthy individual.
Implantation of an artifical pacemaker was necessary to control the attacks. HMMMMM, sounds scary!

4. Exercise induced sickness from Hyponatremia is caused by a sudden drop in concentration of sodium in the blood. When you do a hard workout with heavy exercise and sweating, your body turns on the pituitary gland in your brain to produce a hormone called ADH, or anti-diuretic hormone. This hormone tells the kidney to hold on to free water or water that does not contain salt. If your salt and other mineral intake is too low, then the concentration of sodium in your blood can drop. For some reason people that take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin, Advil, or Aleve may be more at risk of hyponatremia.

5. Gastrophageal reflux brought on by the valsalva maneuver or holding your breath while you push hard. BREATH SO YOU DONT PUKE!

A weak esophageal sphincter or a looseness of the little ring of muscle that separates your stomach from the esophagus. This is more of a little regurgitation instead of a full fledged puke.

If you are shaking when you puke then is could also overstimulated your central nervous system from intensity techinuques or just going past your limits and your body wants you to stop! So it makes you puke!

The last thing and what my intuition tells me is the most common cause of exercise induced sickness or the puke monster is a change in your blood pH produced by the anaerobic metabolism of pyruvic acid. If you workout harder than usuall and your body cant get rid of the lactic acid quicker than you are producing it a build up occurs and your ph goes out of whack. You become toxic and puke to try to clean your system.

So why do you puke after you work out? In most cases the bottom line is that you worked harder than you should have and your body wants you to stop. Making you puke seems to achieve just that for most people!
Old 24-Jan-08, 07:57 AM   #12
minime
I need a title!

I sometimes feel like I will be sick when I work out, but only when I am pushing myself extremely hard. Are you running with a lot of intensity? If so maybe you should take your pace down a little until your body gets used to it.

Also eating a little something would help : i never could workout on an empty stomach.
Old 30-May-08, 01:20 PM   #13
bodyshop20
Site Admin

If yr unfit you will feel sick when you over exert yr self, even when i was in race horse condition sometime after squatting id nearly faint and puke so worry not and keep at it
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood pressure, central nervous, central nervous system, heart rate, low sugar