Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 02-Jan-04, 09:41 AM   #1
NYCGirl

Cool

Trainer ??'s Part 2

Alright-

So I bought a one month deal with a trainer. My month will
be up very soon. He has done a great job and I plan to buy one more
month.

What is the etiquette for tipping a trainer?
Should I tip him before I start my new month or should I just give him
one big tip when I'm done with my second month?
SHould I tip him at all?

You're advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
NYCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jan-04, 12:24 PM   #2
MostMuscle
Site Moderator

Send a message via MSN to MostMuscle
No tip is really necessary. Many of my clients, once we are parting ways, leave a nice big tip, but certainly no tip is necessary if you are signing on for another month.
MostMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jan-04, 02:15 PM   #3
Chain

Send a message via AIM to Chain Send a message via MSN to Chain
It's not necessary to tip him. Hiring him for another month is tip enough.
All you got is life time...
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jan-04, 03:30 PM   #4
IronMan

Problem is, everyone in NYC expects a tip. I once hired a guy in our mailroom from the City and come Christmas time he was put out that no one gave him a tip. It was foreign to him that his pay was all he got. Different culture down there.....

IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-04, 11:02 AM   #5
TriplNipl

So now you have to tip your trainer? Good freakin lord!!!
TriplNipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-04, 02:43 PM   #6
Workaholic

Send a message via MSN to Workaholic
I was thinking of hiring a personal trainer for powerlifting. She charges $60. cdn an hour. 2 times a week so that comes up to $480 a month. Is that a rip off? I wouldnt tip if I was paying that much.
Old 05-Jan-04, 02:49 PM   #7
ricohelms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriplNipl
So now you have to tip your trainer? Good freakin lord!!!

I agree Trip, now way I am tipping a trainer. He gets a cut of the hourly rate that you pay as well as some sort of bonus for signing you up for sessions.

NO TIP!!!
Old 05-Jan-04, 03:45 PM   #8
TheBigness

If the trainer actually goes out of his to help you especially outside the gym, or is actually helping you to improve which you werent doing on your own maybe a small tip would help to make them feel appreciated, but FEW trainers exhibit those traits mentioned above and you are probably breaking your bank to pay the trainer as is, so if you have the money a small tip would likely be apprecaited, but i dont think its a manditory thing.
TheBigness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Jan-04, 03:17 PM   #9
ricohelms

I brought this subject up to my wife last night and she had a good idea. If the trainer goes out of his way you could get him a gift cert to a supplement store like GNC or something.
Old 07-Jan-04, 12:55 AM   #10
tweeter

Send a message via AIM to tweeter
dont tip him/her anything cause you urself should be your own personal trainer. they dont know your body like you do, experiment and see what works and dont work. the tip you can give yourself is the great figure you look in the mirror :thumbup:
tweeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Jan-04, 07:04 AM   #11
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic
I was thinking of hiring a personal trainer for powerlifting. She charges $60. cdn an hour. 2 times a week so that comes up to $480 a month. Is that a rip off? I wouldnt tip if I was paying that much.
That isn't a rip off the cheapest I've ever seen is at my current gym, which is a small one, and I paid $50 cdn an hour. I see no reason to tip a personal trainer, they make a lot of money. I work at gym where I basically do payroll for them and they make A LOT of money, even the ones just starting out and only making $60 an hour still make very decent money! A lot more than me!
Old 11-Jan-04, 12:37 PM   #12
Merrida

FYI: Some trainers make as little as $7/hour, even those with degrees. So assuming that because you pay a hefty fee to the club for your training automatically means the trainer is getting paid a good fee,.....is erroneous.

Not all clubs are like that, granted. Some have independent contractors, the trainer gets 100% and turns a % over to the club as "rent."

Some get a percentage, some get a straight fee.

But please, don't assume what YOU fork over goes to your trainer. The burn out rate in our profession is extremely high, and part of it is this assumption which carries over, thinking we make the big bucks.

To make "average" bucks, we work 60-70 hour weeks, at bizarre hours, and donate a lot of our own time "off the books" to make our "ON the books time" with you count.

A tip is appreciated.

Yes, different cultures/areas/geographical regions will have different protocol, but any,...ANY,...service that is a "fee for service" payment, -- it is a respectful gesture to tip. Whether it's your waitress, hairdresser or trainer,...not only that, right or wrong, good or bad, any of us who get tips (in ANY profession) are impressed by that gesture....not just for the monetary reason, but because of YOUR effort of doing it, and we remember. You'll get more for that gesture.

Nothing says "thank you" like cash.... in any profession.
Merrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-04, 12:48 PM   #13
Lee J B

I get tips sometimes, but I don't expect them to tip or care. I only do it as a hobby and so don't have much business come my way, but if the gym owner thinks he's a got a guy I can handle with my hours then I'll get 100% of the cash that he pays. I've earnt 30 an hour and I've earnt 85 an hour... no big deal really, anything helps with all these student nights out and car parts... oh **** I mean, with all these books I have to buy to study....
Old 11-Jan-04, 01:19 PM   #14
Merrida

A tip isn't about what a trainer makes or what you think they make. A tip to any professional is a gesture above and beyond the normal fee, and is meant as a gesture to say "thank you" for services that you personally appreciate. You don't just tip because you think the professional gets paid a lot or a little or you should or shouldn't,...and it isn't necessarily a matter of protocol.

It's separate from whatever "fee" you pay,...it isn't even associated or related.

I've seen clubs where people wouldn't dream of tipping, and I've seen clubs where tipping is more common than not. It isn't about being expected or required, it's a reflection both of service provided, and the client's personal appreciation.
Merrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Feb-04, 05:18 PM   #15
skinny

workaholic, where in canada? big city (van, toronto or montreal) i can't say i know the going rates, but in victoria, and smaller cities like calgary and ottawa, for $60 an hour you should be looking at a university degree minimum, and someone with a masters in human performance could be within your reach. private trainers are the way to go, as the gym may charge $60, but pay $15 to the trainer. get your money's worth.
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extremely high, personal trainer