Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 24-Apr-04, 06:43 PM   #1
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk

Should women do Deadlifts?

I was peaking around in the Female Bodybuilding forum and I just started thinking about whether the average women should do Deadlifts...

Ive never seen a woman do a deadlift at a gym, or anywhere else for that matter lol. When I think of a deadlift, I think of men doing it, thats it. Its a raw, physical test of strength, which typically the average women are really not into, GENERALLY SPEAKING!

So, should they do them or what?

I say yes because of course, first of all deadlifts expend TONS of calories. Second, theres nothing better for building strength in your back.
Old 24-Apr-04, 07:38 PM   #2
Kyle C

Send a message via AIM to Kyle C Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle C
Why should a women train any different then a man?

I know female lifters who deadlift over 700 pounds and bench over 500.

Kc

www.FortifiedIron.com
Kyle C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-04, 07:54 PM   #3
DaRkAnGel

Send a message via AIM to DaRkAnGel Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkAnGel
I thought there was only 1 lady that benches over 500? Swanson, am i wrong?
DaRkAnGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-04, 12:35 AM   #4
a_girl

Send a message via ICQ to a_girl Send a message via AIM to a_girl
I've also never seen a single women at the gym I go to deadlift, it's actually the main factor holding me back from trying myself.. Looks like a great challenge!

I wouldn't mind trying some deadlifts, as I really need to strengthen my back, but I think (at least in my opinion) that a big factor keeping the majority of women from doing deadlifts is how only the big muscle men tend to do it. I don't know about others, but I find it quite intimidating to watch a guy lift 800+ pounds while letting out an ear piercing bellow, neck veins begging to be released from the skin.
a_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-04, 01:26 AM   #5
Cort

Send a message via ICQ to Cort Send a message via AIM to Cort Send a message via Yahoo to Cort
The girls on the powerlifting team at my school do, don't see what is wrong with it.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-04, 10:56 AM   #6
BenT

Send a message via AIM to BenT
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_girl
I've also never seen a single women at the gym I go to deadlift, it's actually the main factor holding me back from trying myself.. Looks like a great challenge!

I wouldn't mind trying some deadlifts, as I really need to strengthen my back, but I think (at least in my opinion) that a big factor keeping the majority of women from doing deadlifts is how only the big muscle men tend to do it. I don't know about others, but I find it quite intimidating to watch a guy lift 800+ pounds while letting out an ear piercing bellow, neck veins begging to be released from the skin.
Of course women can deadlift. The female body builders at my gym deadlift regularly. Straight leg and traditional deadlift. If you don't want to build mass, do higher reps and lighter weight.
Old 25-Apr-04, 02:19 PM   #7
Bvlgari

Most women can't develop large muscles, even if they wanted to. Biological fact... (got that from exrx.net)
Bvlgari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-04, 02:46 PM   #8
jimmyv

Quite a few women have developed very large muscles, and often without supplementation. On the other hand, yes, women do put on mass at a slower pace, and to much lower genetic potential.

I think the main tragedy here is that women often avoid heavy lifting because they're afraid of becoming overly muscular, as though they'll do a heavy set of deadlifts, squats or bench and all of a sudden look like Arnold in a miniskirt. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Putting on lots of mass and building strength is very, very difficult to do, and is not the sort of thing that happens underneath your radar -- no one need ever worry about it. If you feel yourself getting stronger and more muscular than you'd like (highly unlikely), you can always cut back at THAT point.

So, bottom line, deadlifts are great. Women should do them too.
jimmyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-04, 02:40 AM   #9
cbrf2rider

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenT
If you don't want to build mass, do higher reps and lighter weight.
I dont get it, wouldnt it be lower reps, higher weight?
cbrf2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-04, 06:31 AM   #10
Tuna Fish

Yes, women should deadlift if they're physically able (most are) and want the results.

Terrific exercise that my wife absolutely hates doing. Her butt and hams like it though....
Old 26-Apr-04, 09:03 AM   #11
monsta

Send a message via ICQ to monsta
women deadlift all the time.. when they lift a child , or lift the shopping! (or lifting engine block, or bag of cement to not sound sexist!!!)
so it make sense to do them in the gym to strengthen the muscles used to do everyday jobs.
Old 26-Apr-04, 10:02 AM   #12
BenT

Send a message via AIM to BenT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf2rider
I dont get it, wouldnt it be lower reps, higher weight?
Typically the fastest way to put on muscle mass is to lift heavy weights at low repetitions. Someone please correct me if I'm spatting off bad info, this is just what I have read in arnolds "bible".

Also, this is the method that has stacked some serious mass on me in the last 3 years.
Old 26-Apr-04, 10:20 PM   #13
cbrf2rider

lmao, thats my fault there, i thought u said if u WANT to build serious mass, lol my mistake
cbrf2rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body builder, body builders, build mass, genetic potential, heavy weights, higher rep, higher weight, lift heavy weights, muscle mass, serious mass

You may also search for: