Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Female Fitness

Female Fitness Forum specifically for women to learn and share advice.

Old 29-Jul-07, 09:40 AM   #1
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis

Hormones are a bitch

This is a bit of a rant. Advice is always welcome though lol. I'm on the mini pill. I find that it really affects how I eat. Lots of times I forget to go get a new pack and I'm off for a week or so and I have NO problem eating good, and not high amounts of food at that time. When I'm on the pill I crave sugary foods, and high carb foods. I know I tend to lean towards a carb type anyways for metabolic type, but when on the pill it's ridiculous. It's a real challenge to eat healthy! I've been exercising more lately which helps, but sometimes it just irritates me how much my monthly cycle combined with the pill affects my weight, metabolism, and cravings. I'm still looking for ways to avoid this. My big thing is trying to only have healthy snacks around, but it doesn't always work lol.
Old 29-Jul-07, 04:20 PM   #2
sweetdream

Send a message via AIM to sweetdream
Can the pill affect weight loss? have their been studies done to show that women on the pill lose weight at a lower or higher rate than those who aren't? anyone ever hear anything about that?
sweetdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jul-07, 07:40 PM   #3
ajarvis

I don't know about studies, but I do know from experience, and from talking to other women that when on the pill I find it harder to lose weight. Not only because of the bad food cravings etc. but it seems like your body just holds on to it more. Even when my diet is good it seems hard to lose weight.
Old 29-Jul-07, 09:36 PM   #4
minime
I need a title!

why don't you just stop taking the pill? Do you use it only for birth control, or for other reasons too?
Old 30-Jul-07, 03:40 AM   #5
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdream View Post
Can the pill affect weight loss? have their been studies done to show that women on the pill lose weight at a lower or higher rate than those who aren't? anyone ever hear anything about that?

Side effect of the pill is weight gain

Ajarvis you are just going to have to force yourself into habits when on the pill.
Old 30-Jul-07, 12:09 PM   #6
sweetdream

Send a message via AIM to sweetdream
I know personally I take it for birth control not for other reasons.
sweetdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jul-07, 01:47 PM   #7
ajarvis

I take it for BC. That's it. After the next baby dh is getting snipped lmao. But til' then I'm stuck with the pill. Guess I'm just going to have to muster some willpower. Today I'm sick so that makes it easier lol. My head feels like It's going to explode, and I really don't want to eat.
Old 31-Jul-07, 01:24 PM   #8
mangotango

I read the title of this thread and thought AMEN! I can totally relate. I read an article in More Magazine about hormonal weight gain that I found really helpful. Definitely picked up a few good pointers. I was recently talking with some friends about the men in our lives and how they just seem to eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. If only it could be so simple for us women....the article shed some light on what causes us to start and stop eating, and guess what?! It is all hormonal! As if we didn't already have enough hormonal issues to deal with!
mangotango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Aug-07, 01:12 PM   #9
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Have you thought about switching to another pill? There are many out there, and each will affect each woman differently. Something else might have less side effects.

I wonder, too, if going off of it and then back on is exacerbating your cravings and other issues. I think it's not so much the hormones themselves giving women trouble, but the fact that they constantly fluctuate.

I just started on Yasmin and have been having crazy cravings for fruity sugary treats, but they're starting to die down, so I think my body is adjusting.

Speaking of sugary things, have you tried dried fruit for your cravings? They are like candy. High in sugar, yes, but at least healthier than just candy.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Aug-07, 09:19 AM   #10
ajarvis

I have thought about it, but I'm still breastfeeding so I'm hesitant to switch because I'm working all day so it's tough to drink enough to keep up my milk supply as it is. The combination pills "can" cause supply issues. So I guess I'll just deal with it for now.
Old 01-Sep-07, 08:18 PM   #11
goldsgirl

I know some women aren't crazy about the idea of the new extended cycle pills (Seasonale etc.) but it has made a huge difference in my training. Since you said you can't take a combo pill I guess it would be off limits too though.
goldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Sep-07, 08:45 PM   #12
ajarvis

I think I'd like that pill, but I'm off birth control in about 8 days lol

Tags
birth control, carb foods, dried fruit, high carb, stop eating, stop taking, weight gain, weight loss