Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Strength Training

Strength Training Forum for Powerlifting, Olympic Lifts, Strongman Competitors, Kettlebell Training, and other forms of strength training

Old 15-Nov-07, 09:55 AM   #1
gymgirl
Site Moderator

CrossFit's "Linda" WOD

For those of you not into crossfit, Linda is one of the toughest workouts in the CrossFit program. The workout calls for:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

You do 10 deadlifts, then 10 bench press then 10 cleans, then 9-9-9- 8-8-8 so on and so forth. This is a very tough workout scaled down, but to do is as rx'd with the weights listed above is incredible.

I wanted to share this video of Nicole doing this workout. it is very inspiring, especially when she struggles on the bench press.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...leLindaWOD.mov

my workout journal

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-07, 01:29 PM   #2
pierini

That was fun to watch.

I could see many moments of lonliness in Nicole as she was taking those brief recoveries between her broken reps sets.

I've never done "Linda" and probably never will, but that does not prevent me from being able to appreciate an outstanding effort like hers, and your recent one too gymgirl.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 15-Nov-07, 01:34 PM   #3
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Dang, she's tough!

I think she'd do better on the bench with a more PL type set up. Getting her feet under her and hitting lower on the chest. But wow, nonetheless!
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-07, 03:16 PM   #4
.V.

Not respectable, not impressive...I'm struggling for the right word here and the usual ones don't seem to fit.

All I can think of is that it's totally AMAZING.

Considering that 1.5x BW is my current 1RM for deadlift, I'm completely in awe.
Old 15-Nov-07, 04:22 PM   #5
IronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgirl View Post
This is a very tough workout scaled down, but to do is as rx'd with the weights listed above is incredible.
To say the least!!!

I'm in absolute awe of a workout like this. I might be able to start at 7 reps and work my way down, but I don't know if I could start at 10. And I did start at 10 I'm not sure I could do it.

Man, that is one hell of a goal to shoot for though. Thanks for posting and giving me some food for thought, gymgirl. I've been running my workout for a fairly long while now without a change and I'm thinking its about time to mix it up a bit.

IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-07, 04:26 PM   #6
LINDA

I love this workout and have requested to have it come up again soon at our affiliate.

Ironman, I have seen some painstorm workouts with rep requirements descending from 20 and also descending from 10 and then ascending back up again. Usually it's at least an hour of effort.
Old 16-Nov-07, 11:19 AM   #7
minime
I need a title!

I found the video very impressive and inspirational.. I showed it to hubby last night and he was also very impressed.

I don't know if I will ever be able to do this workout as rx'd but I'm going to have fun along the way trying!
Old 16-Nov-07, 03:48 PM   #8
Merrida

Arghh, for some reason I can't get the clip. I just get an "unknown zone" error message. That sounds like one seriously intense workout. Yikes. Wish I could watch it though, especially after reading everyone's wonderful comments about it.

Interesting that the weights are pre-set.

How long does it take you to get through the whole thing, 10-to-1, all the way through?

Listen not to what they say about you. Listen to what they whisper.
Old 16-Nov-07, 04:14 PM   #9
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrida View Post
How long does it take you to get through the whole thing, 10-to-1, all the way through?
It took her a little under 30mins. For me, it would probably take all night
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-07, 05:07 PM   #10
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl View Post
It took her a little under 30mins. For me, it would probably take all night

I hear ya. Me too! You and I would end up closing the gym together then. I have to admit, that appears to be one seriously aggressive workout. I'm in favor of aggressive, (I have clients doing something similar with burpees, pullups and squats,...but "Linda" looks particularly tough, especially, I note, because of the preset weights you're to use. That's the only "problem" I have with it). But man, kudos to those who do it, it's impressive to be sure.

Listen not to what they say about you. Listen to what they whisper.
Old 17-Nov-07, 06:37 AM   #11
LINDA

Quote:
but "Linda" looks particularly tough, especially, I note, because of the preset weights you're to use. That's the only "problem" I have with it). But man, kudos to those who do it, it's impressive to be sure.
That is not how you approach crossfit. Nothing is "preset". You scale the workout to your ability.

Nicole just happens to have been at this for several years now and is highly conditioned therefore can do the recommended weights (or rxed in crossfit forum lingo ).

Most people posting their scores of various "scaled" amounts do it within 20-40 minutes. Gymgirl did it her first time in less than that.

There is no point in doing anything that is beyond or below your ability. The multiple modes of taxing your fitness levels is what makes crossfit so efficient and satisfying for a training method. One of the first things I was taught was to manage my work rest intervals in order to improve my time score.

Last edited by LINDA; 17-Nov-07 at 06:40 AM.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-07, 08:09 AM   #12
Lady C
"I know squat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-OC_gal View Post
There is no point in doing anything that is beyond or below your ability.
I'll second that! Nicole just looked like she was seeing pukie to me!!!
Old 17-Nov-07, 11:26 AM   #13
EliteLift

after I seeing this thread my friend yesterday he came to the conclusion that we should try this WOD. my friend wieghs 185lbs, I weigh 150lbs so we both used the weight for 150lb person. He started very confindent but buy the time he got to his 5th set he had nothing, it was prety funny as he was slouched on the weight bench begging me to call it quits for the day.

I found the deadlifts to be the most challanging aspect of this workout.

that girl is freaken solid!
Old 17-Nov-07, 01:06 PM   #14
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-OC_gal View Post
That is not how you approach crossfit. Nothing is "preset". You scale the workout to your ability.

Nicole just happens to have been at this for several years now and is highly conditioned therefore can do the recommended weights (or rxed in crossfit forum lingo ).

Most people posting their scores of various "scaled" amounts do it within 20-40 minutes. Gymgirl did it her first time in less than that.

There is no point in doing anything that is beyond or below your ability. The multiple modes of taxing your fitness levels is what makes crossfit so efficient and satisfying for a training method. One of the first things I was taught was to manage my work rest intervals in order to improve my time score.
exactly what CF-OC gal said.

You NEVER have to do a crossfit workout as rx'd. you scale to what is appropriate for you. I look at it one of two ways, do you want the workout to me metabolic conditioning or strength? If you want a metcon go for light weights that you can handle with minimal rest, if you want a strength workout you don't have to go as rx'd just do what is heavy and challenging for you, even if you have to take a slower time.

I went back to check my past Linda efforts and as you can see you can progressivly build up to the rx'd version.

Here are a few of my past results:

2/8/07

150% bodyweight deadlift (sub. 1.10% of bodyweight, 115#)
100% bodyweight bench press (sub. 52% of bodyweight, 55#)
75% bodyweight clean (sub. 40% of bodyweight, 45#)

time: 17:51

I tried it again a few days later on 2/15/07 because I had scaled too much on my first attempt:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight (sub 135#, 1.3% bw)
Bench press: body weight (sub 75#, 71.5% bw)
Clean: 3/4 body weight (sub 75#, 71.5% bw)

time: 29:18

then again 7/27/07 BWT 108#

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight (155#) 1.45%BW
Bench press: body weight (80#) 74% BW
Clean: 3/4 body weight (75#) 69% BW

time: 24:51

and most recent attempt:

11/14/07 BW 107#

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight 160# (150% bw, rx'd!)
Bench press: body weight 85# (80% bw)
Clean: 3/4 body weight 80# (75% bw, rx'd!)

time: 25:07 (PR)

As you can see my first attempt I started waaaaay off the rx'd weights, but after working on it I am getting closer (stupid bench press!)
Nicole on the other hand has been doing crossfit for YEARS and is very strict on her diet. She is very familiar with the crossfit workouts and knows when and how much to push herself. She is a freckin beast.

Ironman- best of luck, let me know if you have any questions or need help scaling. let us know how it goes if you do decide to give it a try. You could also scale by doing 10-8-6-4-2 reps...

elite lift- great job! Linda is very much a mental workout as well. I find that once I get to the 6 rep round i feel the workout is managable. rounds 10-7 are absolutely brutal. the funniest part is by the time you get to the 6-1 rep rounds your muscles are so fatigued it can sometimes be more difficult, i guess that is when it switches from mental to physical toughness for me. Great job, and waht a way to introduce your buddy into crossfit!

oh and did i mention nicole is a freggin BEAST. I wanna be like her when I grow up!

my workout journal

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bench press, body weight, intense workout, light weight, tough workout, training method, weight bench