Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Beginner Fitness

Beginner Fitness Just starting on your fitness journey? Post here to connect with other beginners. Get advice from the experienced members for starting out right on the path to fitness.

Old 30-Aug-07, 04:12 AM   #1
Sambo

Smile

Crunches on Bed.... good or bad?

Hi everyone.

Just a question really... is it alright to do cruches on your bed?

WHen doing them on the floor, I tend to get neck ache quite bad (even though im not pulling my neck forward as i crunch).

I tried doing some in bed last night, and it worked a treat.... could really feel the burn in my abs, and had no back/neck ache at all.

Just wondered if this is effective, and I cant decide if it could strain my lower back muscles (It didnt bother me last night, but could it in the long run?)

I thought it might be good also, as your core also has to stabilize you laterally as well as up and down.

Some people advise doing them on bed, some dont.

Anyone any views???

Cheers
Sambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-07, 08:32 PM   #2
pierini

I see nothing wrong with doing them on a bed for a beginner who is just beginning a core training program.
Old 31-Aug-07, 11:16 AM   #3
LiftGirl
Site Admin

I don't think anything is wrong with doing them on the bed.

That being said, you say you are not pulling your neck forward when you crunch, but where are your hands? If you cross them over your chest, you can be sure you are not pulling your neck forward without realizing it. It is easier to pull your neck forward without noticing than you would think.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Sep-07, 01:41 PM   #4
bodyshop20
Site Admin

I agree with lift girl, but explian to your mum what your up to or she'll think your into playing with yourself lol.
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Jan-08, 05:49 PM   #5
westside24

do them on the floor dude! do you think the military the army and the navy would let our soldiers get cozy in bed and do crunchs and situps! no way jose. in fact, If I was your drill sargeant or coach I would make you do them on a gravel driveway! Learn to Love pain, Pain will make you grow into a man. no its time for me to leave and get my manicure/pedicure done!
Old 07-Jan-08, 08:05 PM   #6
Gooseneck
CO

Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyshop20 View Post
I agree with lift girl, but explian to your mum what your up to or she'll think your into playing with yourself lol.
LOL, I've done them on the bed before and it does sound like you're doing something else, with someone else.

1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Jan-08, 09:08 PM   #7
westside24

specially if you do alot of grunting and breathing hard
Old 07-Jan-08, 09:59 PM   #8
standAPART

I think that doing crunches on the bed actually negates the whole exercise. People have a tendency to roll the hips (use momentum) when they crunch. If doing crunches on the bed being may actually promote this becuase it is not a rigid surface like the floor.
standAPART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Jan-08, 01:31 AM   #9
EliteLift

I agree crunches on a mattress would not be optimal, momentum or not (not that I am saying momentum is good to use with crunches).

The main reason I would say its not optimal is because your mattress will sink as you transfer weight from your upper back to your butt, witch would probably assist your crunching motion making the exersice less difficult than it would normally be.

So, I would recomend the floor over the bed without a doubt. Its going to be better than nothing though, and I would not worry about injury if you decide bed crunches are what works for you.

best of luck.
Old 28-Jan-08, 04:07 PM   #10
Mrs.V.
Outlaw Muscle Bodybuilding Contest - 7th place.

I have to agree here with StandAPART and Elite...You aren't getting the FULL effect of the crunch doing them on the mattress, you are letting the bed do the hard work for you...Gotta have a little pain and sweat in exercise to get the FULL feeling of a WELL EARNED workout...Also have you thought about maybe using a mat on the floor to help with the back...You really need the sturdiness of the floor for support...If you get one of those that they use in Kindergarten, its not too soft to reverse the effect that you are trying to achieve with the sturdiness of the floor yet it MAY help ease some of the back pain...And the BED is a wondeful place to sweat and get FULL satisfaction, however, I think the purpose is MUCH different...LOL......Exercise on the floor pal...

Last edited by Mrs.V.; 29-Jan-08 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Thought of an idea last night that may help...
Mrs.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-08, 05:06 PM   #11
Disturbed

just make sure u excersize your abs not your hand whichever u choose! bed or floor
Disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Jan-11, 05:47 PM   #12
bloomtofit

Crunches in general are bad for you. You can cause some damage to your spinal column.

I'd suggest you get on the floor and do some regular and side planks. This will give you the core strength that you're after.
bloomtofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-11, 10:03 AM   #13
EmGee

I agree, doing them in bed = not a good idea.

do planks and other core exercises instead of crunches. you are probably not doing them correctly and using your abs properly if your neck hurts. see the other thread about crunches.
Old 20-Sep-12, 08:45 AM   #14
lira

For me its not good when you do it in bed. there's no contraction happen when you do it in soft mattress than when you do it on the floor with a mat to protect the spine.
lira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Jun-13, 07:57 AM   #15
Atwood

Send a message via Yahoo to Atwood
yes..I think nothing wrong if you do this. But in my point of view you should don't use this technique for permanently. It should be just for temporary.

Tags
training program

You may also search for: