Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Injury prevention and Rehabilitation

Old 08-Apr-12, 02:45 PM   #1
Merrida

Shin Splints

I've been reading up a lot on shin splints (I'm tracking all potential leads down). I'm finding all sorts of varying information regarding identifying it and treatment for it.

So, once again my friends, running it past you: What have you experienced with regards to treatments?

Listen not to what they say about you. Listen to what they whisper.
Old 08-Apr-12, 08:44 PM   #2
arbit

I used to have really bad shin splints when training for martial arts 4x a week. Stretching etc didnt help. I finally had to take a break, and then I cut down the frequency of my training.
arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-12, 07:30 PM   #3
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbit View Post
I used to have really bad shin splints when training for martial arts 4x a week. Stretching etc didnt help. I finally had to take a break, and then I cut down the frequency of my training.
Did stretching your TIBS make it sore at all?

Old 13-Apr-12, 08:06 PM   #4
arbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrida View Post
Did stretching your TIBS make it sore at all?
Nope.
arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-12, 06:53 PM   #5
.V.

I had that problem all the time with running. Bought different shoes, problem solved. It returned, time for new shoes again. I guess shin splints are my shoemileageometer.
Old 16-Apr-12, 01:34 PM   #6
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by .V. View Post
I had that problem all the time with running. Bought different shoes, problem solved. It returned, time for new shoes again. I guess shin splints are my shoemileageometer.
Ahhh, this brings me to 2 points, exactly.

One: I've been wearing the same "sneakers" since post-op, which have ZERO support and I got them because they're velcro closure. I can tie my right boot, sneaker, shoe without a problem but that doesn't do me a lick of good when I cannot YET contort my body safely to reach down to tie sneakers or boots. So unless I have someone with me 24/7, I'm stuck in the velcro suckers. Some of the "velcro walking" shoes are still too tough for me to do myself. I have a tool to use to assist with securing the velcro closure. Needless to say, slip ons mean zero ankle support and last thing I need is my ankle, weak from years of not being able to use it right (the left one), I can't risk twisting it or spranging it or falling due to it.

Two: I thought about orthotics. One for the surgical leg to provide arch support because it is (or has become?) very flat footed. The right one, my leg (orthopedically measured, not considering soft tissue compensation) is a whole half inch shorter, so I need either a heel lift or whole shoe lift for that shorter healthy leg. (just a heel lift, even Dr. Scholls, I wonder if I'd then just be transferring undue weight to that knee, like walking around in ONE high-heeled shoe and one bare foot,...sort of,....a "kitten heel" not a CFM pump, of course).

The stronger I get, the more I do, and the better I get (and I am making huge strides, so to speak, I am noticing that leg length discrepancy and feeling the shin pain more,...or I'm more aware of it now that I can move more proper).

Old 19-Apr-12, 12:03 PM   #7
rrouleau

Quote:
Exactly!!! Works for me too. If i find a pair that really works for me. I will usually buy a couple pair.

Also, If i go a while without running and start back up and get shin splints.... I was pushing it too hard and or over training.
Old 27-Apr-12, 11:30 AM   #8
Merrida

I can now bend over enough to pretty much tie regular sneakers now, so I can get out of my post-op sneakers. And I found, as was pointed out, it made a huge difference. It still hurts, but a lot less. I haven't been able to wear lace up shoes since surgery (well before surgery actually), so I'm hoping new kicks will help.

Also, that foot on the leg that had the surgery is flat. The other one is not. So I do slap the foot down. Any recommendations on good sneakers for "flat feet?"

Old 13-May-12, 01:17 AM   #9
.V.

Quote:
Also, that foot on the leg that had the surgery is flat. The other one is not. So I do slap the foot down. Any recommendations on good sneakers for "flat feet?"
Let me go look in my gym bag. I always forget the name. It's a weird one.
Old 13-May-12, 01:19 AM   #10
.V.

Saucony.

And yes...I got the black ones. but that's kind of a duh statement with me.
Old 15-May-12, 06:43 PM   #11
Merrida

Quote:
Saucony.

And yes...I got the black ones. but that's kind of a duh statement with me.
Oh I hear ya plenty on that one. "Black anything" is most assuredly one of those "d'uh" things with me too. (It isn't a phase, not at my age,-- I started the whole "black thing" when I was a young teen. I remember my Mum was worried I was on some deep, dark spiral into death.....uhm, yeah, well, I know you understand what I mean!)

Thanks for the brand name, too. I was torn between Saucony and I think it was Asics. Someone mentioned Asics in particular for womens' feet, especially if they're wide or in need of extra protection.....given I broke the same foot, yep the one on the surgical side, wouldn't have it any other way,....THREE times,....oh yeah. I'm one of those gals working around just all sorts of stuff, hmm?

I'm going sneaker shopping this week. It's a must do on my "must do" list. And, shock beyond shock, if they have black for women, I'll be sticking to that too.

Old 21-May-12, 12:07 AM   #12
.V.

Quote:
Oh I hear ya plenty on that one. "Black anything" is most assuredly one of those "d'uh" things with me too. (It isn't a phase, not at my age,-- I started the whole "black thing" when I was a young teen. I remember my Mum was worried I was on some deep, dark spiral into death.....uhm, yeah, well, I know you understand what I mean!)
Absolutely...everyone thought I'd gone psycho... so it appears we started that at about the same age... Evidently not a phase since I'm turning 43 this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrida
Thanks for the brand name, too. I was torn between Saucony and I think it was Asics. Someone mentioned Asics in particular for womens' feet, especially if they're wide or in need of extra protection
I tried the asics, the new balance (new balance even sent me two of their newest "barefoot" shoes to the gym to review...I was kind to them and didn't publish it), a few others...and nothing was quite right. My left arch is nearly flat, my feet are narrow ...oh well... and I can't tolerate any restriction on my toes at all, even the skeletoes and five fingers are intolerable for me... then I put on the Saucony and was in shoe heaven. Must get more because these are becoming daily wear if in athletic pants or shorts (black...duh) I like them almost as much as I like boots or chucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrida
I'm going sneaker shopping this week. It's a must do on my "must do" list. And, shock beyond shock, if they have black for women, I'll be sticking to that too.
Ummmm if they don't, have them order them for you. That's what I had to do.

Come back and let us know what you found...you are the one that got me to come back here after all...now you post and run. Geesh girl...post something already.
Old 24-May-12, 01:42 PM   #13
Merrida

I got delayed or waylayed or something that sounds similar, on my getting new kicks. Couldn't find a bloody thing I liked or provided what I need and want.

Soooo, since I'm rather bombarded with physical therapy, vet appts (for the dog, not me, just to clarify and head off any potential biatch comments), it looks like I'm postponing my footwear shopping for another week.

I have always had a hard time with shoes. I don't have those delicate femmy feet that wear pointed toe spike heels. I'm more the black jack boots, and sneakers....never really one for "fashion" but I expect them to fit and do their job and not sprain my ankle (like one silly investment in sneakers did...a moment of weakness). It's tough finding boots and shoes that suit me as a woman. Men's boots are too big, boys boots I'm around a 4 or 5 maybe but hey, they don't cut it.

Wow did I get side tracked.

Sneakers first, gotta work on my new gait and getting my body back, then eventually back into my boots. Heck, I've only been able to bend my hip enough to tie my sneakers over the past few weeks. One step at a time. But with my shin like this, and my back, I'm not wanting to skimp on the footwear.

Thanks!

Old 25-May-12, 06:37 AM   #14
.V.

Quote:
vet appts (for the dog, not me, just to clarify and head off any potential biatch comments),
Oh, had a horrible vet comment but am keeping it to myself. Me and my inappropriate humor. Nearly every joke I make is inappropriate or offensive to someone...I'll have to do better...and make it EVERY joke I make. But anyway, it had nothing to do with bitch comments. Just a vet comment.
Old 25-May-12, 11:55 AM   #15
Merrida

Quote:
Oh, had a horrible vet comment but am keeping it to myself. Me and my inappropriate humor. Nearly every joke I make is inappropriate or offensive to someone...I'll have to do better...and make it EVERY joke I make. But anyway, it had nothing to do with bitch comments. Just a vet comment.

Does it involve a thermometer?