Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition > Related Recipes

Related Recipes A library of user submitted recipes for the fitness-minded.

Old 08-Dec-02, 02:41 PM   #31
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

My fiber to carb ratio technique is not necessarily a substitute for glycemic index ratings. It simply provides another indicator to rate food components. While the GI system is revealing, it does have some serious flaws. I frankly think that it should have been much more thoroughly developed before putting it before the public. There again, are some changes taking place—have you looked at the Glycemic Load info (a system that makes much more sense)?
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cursor; 13-Dec-02 at 01:55 PM.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-02, 02:22 PM   #32
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

egg burrito
w/ mustard & horseradish

03p 18c 03f - wheat tortilla (about 8" dia), La Reina
12p 00c 00f - egg white, hard boiled (3 ea)
03p 00c 05f - egg yolk, hard boiled (1 ea)
00p 02c 00f - 2 ts dijon mustard
00p 01c 02f - 1 ts horseradish sauce
00p 01c 00f - 2 ts relish
18p 22c 10f = 250 total calories

Hard boil and peal three eggs?discard two of the yolks. Dice the egg components. In a bowl, combine the egg and all other ingredients (minus the tortilla, of course ) and mix thoroughly.

Warm the tortilla until pliable. Spoon the egg mixture onto the flat tortilla and smooth into semi-rectangular volume (I'll shoot a pic this weekend). Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the egg mixture, then fold each of the two sides (leaving the top side open).

Place on a hot skillet (hot enough so that a drop of water dances) with fold side down. When browned and crisp, turn over and brown the flip-side.

Let cool slightly, then enjoy.
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cursor; 13-Jul-04 at 09:25 AM.
Old 13-Dec-02, 02:37 PM   #33
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

... need to add nutritional info ...

Oat+Wheat Bread
it's like oatmeal in a loaf

I make my own bread so that I can know exactly what I'm taking into my body. I've compared it directly (even flavorwise) against anything that Great Harvest has to offer and definitely prefer mine. It took a lot of tweeking, but finally have it just perfect (worx4me ).

56p 238c 07f - 3-1/2 cu wheat flour
35p 161c 21f - 3-1/2 cu rolled oats, Quaker Quick
28p 005c 03f - 1/3 cu gluten flour
00p 000c 00f - 1-1/2 cu cursor multi-grain mix (see below)
00p 000c 00f - 1-1/2 tb quick-acting dry yeast
00p 000c 00f - 1 tb salt
00p 000c 00f - 1/3 cu canola oil
00p 000c 00f - 1/3 cu molasses (or honey)
00p 000c 00f - 000 total calories
05p 017c 03f = 115 calories per slice (16 slices per loaf)

Heat 2.5 cups of water to 110°F (in preparation for the yeast). Add 1.5 cups of unbleached wheat flour, 1.5 cups of rolled oats, 1/3 cup gluten flour (to help the wheat bread raise), 1/3 cup canola oil and 1/3 cup molassas. Mix well. Now you have a nice warm home for the 1.5 tbsp of quick-acting yeast. Go ahead and add it now...

Add 1 tbsp salt (don't worry, this'll make two nice big loaves), 1 cup of cursor multi-grain mix (see below), another 2.0 cups of rolled oats, and another 2.0 cups of the whole wheat flour (stop adding the flour when the mixture starts to come clean from the sides of the mixing bowl).

Knead thoroughly, then let it gel just a bit by placing it in a flour-dusted bowl (cover it with a dish towel) for about 15 minutes.

VERY lightly spray the inside surfaces of two large loaf pans with Pam (or equal brand). With the bread dough fully mixed and kneeded, I roll it out into one long log, then cut it directly in half.z Place the two portions in lightly oiled, standard-sized bread pans. Cover with a clean towel and place in a warm location to rise z (about 45 min to an hour--depends on room temperature).

When it has risen to double size,z place in a 350°F preheated oven for 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven, and pop them out (just turn them upside down, then gently shake). Ideally, cool them on an open-air rack. z It's best if you don't slice immediately since it will simply deform the hot bread.

Don't even think about putting butter on it... (you'd better not have any in your house ) Be VERY careful though--it's really easy to go overboard.

It only takes me about 20 minutes of my time to make a couple of loaves (plus the rising, plus the cooking)--but oh the rewards!
_____

cursor multi-grain mix -- equal parts
GNC Soy baking mix
flax seed
bulger wheat
sunflower seeds
wheat germ
oat bran
-----
I make up a whole batch of this, so it's available as I need it.

note: If you can't get a hold of the ingredients required for this cursor multi-grain mix, then simply substitute 1/2 cup of rolled oats and 1/2 cup of wheat flour.
_________

Last edited by cursor; 03-Feb-06 at 07:23 AM.
Old 13-Dec-02, 04:08 PM   #34
oddball182

cursor, about the bread recipe, with that recipe do u usually use 2 slices for your sandwich? or just make an open-faced sandwich?
oddball182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-02, 04:18 PM   #35
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

It really depends on what your particular body needs at any specific time of the day. There are times when I'll have grilled (no oil or butter) turkey or chicken sandwich, using two thinner slices of bread. Then again, there are times when I'll make it open-faced because otherwise I'd be getting too many carbs. It just depends on the situation.

I'm sure that you've seen the values for each slice. As indicated, the post is in the process of being edited and completed, so there will be some changes.
_________

Last edited by cursor; 03-Feb-03 at 10:32 AM.
Old 13-Dec-02, 07:19 PM   #36
TallShadow

Amazing...

Thanks Cursor.

TS
TallShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-02, 09:12 AM   #37
Antony

Speaking of Tortillas, I can only find flour tortillas at my grocery store (I think I may need to shop around).
But a friend, who is into fitness as well, told me that the flour tortilla isn't bad for you. I didn't know whether or not to belive him. Can you guys shed some light for me on this? Thanks.

Antony
Antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-02, 09:25 AM   #38
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

I frankly think that too many people are far too negative in their attitude towards whole wheat flour. Used in moderation (like anything else), it offers some wonderful nutritional values—and the resultant foods taste wonderful. Satiety is key in sticking with a nutritional plan.

Although, "man shall not live by bread alone" ... "bread is the staff of life."
_________
Old 15-Dec-02, 10:36 AM   #39
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

soy & egg powder amino acid profiles

Soy & egg protein powders are great ... particularly for people (like my wife) who can't stomach whey. While many complain that they sometimes don't have the same "complete" amino acid profile that chicken breast offers (have they really examined it for themselves, or are they simply repeating what they read in a fitness magazine?), it still contributes a sizeable sum of aminos for protein sythesis:

As an additional source of convenient protein for my lactose intolerant wife (and for me too ), we also buy egg protein powder. We've had good luck with the Optimum Nutrition label.

Egg Protein Powder
Otimum Nutrition -- delicious vanilla flavor
28g (1 oz) scoop [ 22p 03c 00f ] > all values are in mg

Soy Protein Powder
Whole Foods -- natural vanilla flavor
28g (1 oz) scoop [ 24p 00c 01(un)f ] > all values are in mg

Whey Protein Powder
Optimum 100% Whey -- vanilla flavor
28g (1 oz) scoop [ 22p 02c 02(un)f ] > all values are in mg

.egg-soy-whey...amino acid
1267 1050 1162 - Alanine
1201 1850 0655 - Arginine
2233 2810 2315 - Aspartic Acid
0574 0300 0357 - Cystine
2923 4630 1629 - Glutamic Acid
0776 1020 0426 - Glycine
0500 0630 0351 - Histadine
1257 1190 1360 - Isoleucine ²
1860 1980 2397 - Leucine ²
1491 1520 1894 - Lysine ²
0756 0740 0433 - Methionine ²
1284 1270 0606 - Phenylalanine ²
0860 1240 1414 - Proline
1512 1270 1107 - Serine
1003 0910 0205 - Threonine ²
0277 0300 0205 - Tryptophan ²
0857 0910 0557 - Tyrosine
1411 1210 1178 - Valine ²

² = essential amino acid. Note that these protein products include all eight.

The question, of course, is "how do these compare to other protein sources." It's a question that should be asked by anyone serious about nutrition and fitness. I'll post the amino acid profile data for other protein sources, as I have time. Anywhere these protein sources might be slightly dificient can be supplemented by eating a very small amount of a complementary food that might have a higher concentration in any aminos that you might feel are lacking. Knowledge is power.

Note that a scoop of these soy and egg protein powders is basically pure protein (no carbs & virtually no fat).

... follow the cursor ...
_________

Last edited by cursor; 13-Jul-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-Feb-03, 03:10 PM   #40
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

I just added whey to the protein amino acid profiles, for comparison.
_________
Old 12-Feb-03, 03:30 PM   #41
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

shake -- oatmeal peanut butter
chewy and flavorful

11p 16c 00f - 10 oz non-fat milk
14p 08c 01f - 1 sc Myoplex Deluxe, vanilla (28g, or 1 oz)
15p 02c 00f - 2/3 sc Optimum egg protein
05p 23c 03f - 1/2 cu quick rolled oats (dry)
02p 01c 05f - 2 ts peanut butter
00p 00c 00f - dash cinnamon
47p 50c 09f = 469 total calories

The natural carb density of the oats makes this a really concentrated way to "bulk," but without too much stomach volume. The complex carbs, combined with the quality fats and fiber make this a great non-pre/post-workout meal.

As a slight variation, try using allspice+nutmeg instead of the cinnamon. Another great variation would be to add apple slices (make sure and consider the added values calculating your totals).
_________

Last edited by cursor; 13-Jul-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-Feb-03, 10:55 PM   #42
StevenD

looks good
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-03, 07:41 PM   #43
blacklbl

id like to try your oatmeal peanut butter shake, but i have no idea what a 'sc' or 'cu' is. I know what 'oz' and 'ts' is , but not the other 2. Any help? I'm 18 and ill-equipped with the experience of cooking.

Last edited by cursor; 13-Mar-03 at 11:06 AM.
blacklbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-03, 08:26 PM   #44
StevenD

scoop and cup
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-03, 09:16 AM   #45
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

There is a legend to the 2-letter abbreviations in the first post of this thread.
_________

Tags
activity levels, amino acid profile, baby carrots, bell pepper, bell peppers, black beans, black olives, boiled eggs, boneless chicken, brown rice, canned chicken, chicken breast, chicken breasts, chicken broth, chicken sandwich, cold water, complex carb, complex carbs, cup brown, cup brown rice, diet plan, dietary fat, dietary fiber, dried fruit, eat eggs, eat high, egg beaters, essential amino, evening meal, extra lean, fat content, fat intake, fewer calories, fiber ratio, fibrous veggies, flax seed, flaxseed oil, frozen strawberries, glutamic acid, glycemic load, grain bread, green pepper, green peppers, healthy fat, healthy foods, healthy lifestyle, high fat, high fiber, high protein, higher carb, highly recommend, hot water, ice cubes, lactose intolerant, low carb, low fat, low glycemic, low sugar, lower fat, meal plan, myoplex deluxe, nutritional info, nutritional value, nutritional values, oat bran, optimum nutrition, orange juice, premier member, protein powder, protein shake, protein source, protein sources, pure protein, quality food, red pepper, room temperature, skinless chicken, skinless chicken breast, steamed broccoli, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoe, sweet tooth, turkey bacon, vegetable oil, virgin olive, weight training, wheat bread, wheat germ, wheat tortilla, white rice, workout meal