Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Nutrition and Supplementation > Diet and Nutrition > Related Recipes

Related Recipes A library of user submitted recipes for the fitness-minded.

Old 03-Apr-03, 11:43 AM   #61
jplayer

Cursor,

My wife and I are going to be working on a pizza tommorrow night. I will post back with results!!!
jplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Apr-03, 11:46 AM   #62
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Great! We've also been experimenting with some crust options. We may have a winner! We'll test a few more variations before we zero in on a recipe to post here.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Apr-03, 01:11 PM   #63
jplayer

Yeah we found a decent whole wheat crust recipe online, BUT I think we will modify it based on the experiences we learned with our flaxseed whole wheat bread and try to make it a bit healthier and maybe tastier?!?! Well see!!
Old 05-Apr-03, 12:35 PM   #64
StevenD

mmmmmmmmmmm.....pizza ::drools::
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Apr-03, 12:18 PM   #65
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

While not yet finished with our pizza testing, we had some pretty wonderful success on Saturday night. We made two crusts—froze one and used the other. I need to calc some nutritional values before I post though.

I've just posted an evening meal that some of you might find appealing: broccoli & asparagus soup. It boast high protein and lots of fibrous veggies.
Old 07-Apr-03, 01:39 PM   #66
jplayer

Well we did our pizza but got in a rush so I had no clue what the caloric totals where on it but I must say it was excellent.

My toppings included
Turkey pepperoni,
Extra lean 4% fat ground beef
shredded red bell peppers
mushrooms
turkey bacon crumbled up
and mozerella. My wife picked up the toppings and absolutely abhors shredding cheese so she got the lowest fat (pre-shredded) cheese that she could find. Next time I will be buying the cheese and getting the lower fat version in the block!!

The crust was a whole wheat crust that she derived up and everything put together it was better than pizza huts or any other chains meat lovers pizza!!! Im sure that it wasnt the HEALTHIEST thing on the planet but on the other hand there was no visible puddles of grease or anything like that when you buy pizza or cook one of those frozen things!! And the ingredients where definately a ton healthier than regular pepperoni, beef, etc.

Im sure we will be making it more in the future and next time we will get a caloric total on things. I was using that as my second meal after my workout and things took a little longer than we expected and started getting past my mealtime so we threw everything together and made.
Old 07-Apr-03, 02:03 PM   #67
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Post the crust recipe!
Old 07-Apr-03, 02:16 PM   #68
jplayer

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1 pkg dry active yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil / or flaxseed oil - we used flax

Stir yeast into 1/2 cup of warm water, mixing completely. Blend in 1 cup of all purpose flour, mixing well. Cover bowl and let rise in warm place for half an hour or so or till the starter is full of bubbles. Stir the salt into the remaining flour, mix well, and add to the starter. Add the oil, and begin to slowly add the rest of the water until you have created a moist dough. Knead for a good 5 minutes, adding additional drops of water till as needed till the dough is smooth.

Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl about three times the size of the dough, cover and let rise till doubled, about 2 hours. To finish the dough, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes more.

Divde it out however you like.
Old 08-Apr-03, 04:06 AM   #69
Merrida

Oooh, I just tried mixing protein powder (plain soy) in with my oatmeal this morning and I LOVE IT!

Oooh, this is yummy! It adds a whole new flavor. No flavor to the protein, that is plain, but because of that it adds like a nutty quality to the oatmeal (which I top with plain lowfat yogurt).

Oooh, I like it!

Thanks guys!
Merrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-Apr-03, 09:39 AM   #70
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Sounds great Merrida. For those who have a bit of a sweet tooth, you can add a packet of Splenda. Additionally, adding just a pinch (about ½ oz) of raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit certainly dresses up the meal.

Last edited by cursor; 13-Jul-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-Apr-03, 04:42 PM   #71
Jakanden

Hey Cursor,

Are your egg burritos good as a pre-workout meal? Or would you reccomend them for non weight training days?
Old 12-Apr-03, 08:23 PM   #72
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

They might be a little high in fat (when you eat enough to get your protein), but if you have one and supplement it with other items to meat your macronutrient quota, then great! Munch on, dude!
Old 12-Apr-03, 08:28 PM   #73
Jakanden

The Burrito wraps i got are fat free so the only fat would be comming from the egg yolk (I dont like Horseradish). So i guess that should work then =) Thanks!
Old 24-Apr-03, 07:34 PM   #74
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

I just posted a great lentil dish at Cursor's Corner. Here's my Curried Lentils & Veggies.
Old 27-Apr-03, 03:25 PM   #75
MikeS

I'm no chef, but this is something simple I've been hooked on for a while now:
I take 99% fat free, thin cut, skinless/boneless chicken breasts dip them in egg whites and then I dip them in whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with crushed red pepper. Then I fry them in a pan with PAM Garlic spray.

The extra "kick" from the red pepper and garlic is great, and the egg whites add in some more protein.

Yum!
-M-
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activity levels, amino acid profile, baby carrots, bell pepper, bell peppers, black beans, black olives, boiled eggs, boneless chicken, brown rice, canned chicken, chicken breast, chicken breasts, chicken broth, chicken sandwich, cold water, complex carb, complex carbs, cup brown, cup brown rice, diet plan, dietary fat, dietary fiber, dried fruit, eat eggs, eat high, egg beaters, essential amino, evening meal, extra lean, fat content, fat intake, fewer calories, fiber ratio, fibrous veggies, flax seed, flaxseed oil, frozen strawberries, glutamic acid, glycemic load, grain bread, green pepper, green peppers, healthy fat, healthy foods, healthy lifestyle, high fat, high fiber, high protein, higher carb, highly recommend, hot water, ice cubes, lactose intolerant, low carb, low fat, low glycemic, low sugar, lower fat, meal plan, myoplex deluxe, nutritional info, nutritional value, nutritional values, oat bran, optimum nutrition, orange juice, premier member, protein powder, protein shake, protein source, protein sources, pure protein, quality food, red pepper, room temperature, skinless chicken, skinless chicken breast, steamed broccoli, sunflower seeds, sweet potatoe, sweet tooth, turkey bacon, vegetable oil, virgin olive, weight training, wheat bread, wheat germ, wheat tortilla, white rice, workout meal