Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 23-Jun-04, 12:50 PM   #16
gcs118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger
Nice bench, gcs -- I have some catching up to do if I want to hang with you. What's your max and your goal?

Body fat is a weird thing. I measured 8.8 percent in back to back weeks. The first time I thought it was a glitch (expected it to be 12+), but hey, I'll take it. Bad news is I'm not even remotely ripped at that %.

Been trying to keep my diet clean, but my wife keeps buying muffins (at least they're low fat) and ice cream. I know I need to shwo restraint but sugar is so damn good...

Jason
haha I hear ya about the foods. I keep telling my mom to stop baking cookies and stop buying the snack cakes and chips! They're just so tempting...I hate it! My max bench is probably right around 160. I was trying for a 3 x 8 on my bench routine. I think that I should move it down 5-10lbs, but I'm gonna stick with this until I reach my goal (3x8) and then move upwards more slowly. I don't really have a long term goal in mind, I'm focusing on increasing the weight currently.
gcs118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-04, 10:50 AM   #17
gcs118

BACK/SHOULDERS, Thursday, June 24, 2004
Deadlift 8 x 165 lbs, 8 x 175 lbs, 8 x 185 lbs
Military Press 8 x 60 lbs, 8 x 70 lbs, 5 x 80 lbs
Hyperextensions 15 x 25 lbs, 15 x 25 lbs, 6 x 25 lbs
Dumbbell Shrugs 8 x 65 lbs, 8 x 75 lbs, 6 x 75 lbs
Forearm Lay 1 minute

Notes: Military press totally wiped out my shoulders! Usually I can easily finish 8 x 85 lbs on the DB shrugs. Sheesh! I could have pushed out more reps on the military press but I felt my form falling so I did not. First day doing hyperextensions. Haha 25 lbs felt light...wow after that many it hurt so bad! Also, the forearm lay is also called planks here on the forums for anyone confused.
Old 24-Jun-04, 11:12 AM   #18
Klinger

Nice job on those presses gcs. You do them standing or seated? And do you do lateral raises?

Jason
Klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jun-04, 04:02 PM   #19
gcs118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger
Nice job on those presses gcs. You do them standing or seated? And do you do lateral raises?

Jason
I do the military press standing. I used to do it sitting but I thought I'd mix it up a little and try standing. In other back/shoulder days I do have lat raises, both to the front and to the sides with dumbbells.
Old 25-Jun-04, 12:58 PM   #20
gcs118

ABS, Friday, June 25, 2004
Decline Sit Ups 15 x 25 lbs, 13 x 25 lbs, 9 x 25 lbs
Roman Chair 15, 15, 15
Decline Crunch Twist to Left/Right 10, 10 x 5 lbs, 5 x 5 lbs, 5 x 5lbs

Notes: On the decline, I am unsure of the angle, but I can feel it working decently. Sit ups my arms are crossed across my chest holding the plate while crunches my hands are holding the plate behind my head. For roman chair I plan to hold a dumbbell between my feet for future sessions. My knees are bent, I do not like the straight legged roman chairs.

CARDIO, Friday, June 25, 2004
Racquetball 3 Games (~1 hour)
Old 25-Jun-04, 01:43 PM   #21
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Hey man just a question...what if you were to go heavier on the bench presses and do a few lighter reps? What do you think about that? Just curious...

Same thing with deadlifts man. Going for reps of 8? thats crazy lol. I usually just stick with 6 tops. Anyway, just sayin something .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jun-04, 02:42 PM   #22
gcs118

I used to do reps of 10 on everything, and I wanted to up the weight so I dropped down to 8 reps. I've actually been considering a new rep scheme for the bench, like you mentioned. haha yeah after 8 reps of deads I'm exhausted and breathing heavy for a couple minutes. I dunno, Firehawk, if you think I could improve my bench by dropping to 6 reps, why not just drop all my exercises to 6 reps? I dunno, it's been something I've been thinking about but can't make up my mind.
Old 25-Jun-04, 05:37 PM   #23
Klinger

Hey gcs - try varying it and it might give your body a jolt. do some 3x6s and even a few 4x4s and heavy 3x3s to shock your system into growth.

Another favorite of mine is upping weight while shaving reps. That is how I have boosted my DL and my squat in the last six weeks. Check mu DL pattern and its usually something like 6,6,5,4,3.

Then again, you're getting results, so what the hell do I know?
Klinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-04, 02:48 AM   #24
TommyD

Send a message via AIM to TommyD Send a message via MSN to TommyD
Generally speaking, 4-6 reps is the best amount for gaining strength and mass. But there are so many different types of errors and variables that go along with that, you can't really say that the 4-6 reps alone will give you the strength and mass. Things like sets, exercises, intensity, volume, body type, etc will play a large role in whether a certain amount of reps will work for you.

If I were you, I'd probably drop down to 4-6 reps or go on a 5x5 scheme for major lifts. Just make sure you're training your calves with 15 reps though b/c they're a totally different muscle than chest, back, upper legs, etc. They respond to higher reps with heavy weight rather than low reps and heavy weight.
TommyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jun-04, 10:22 AM   #25
gcs118

Good feedback guys, thank you. I'll look over my routine and see what I can revise. I might as well drop to 6 reps on everything except for the few that it might be detrimental, such as calves as Tom mentioned. Aren't abs the same way? More reps instead of low reps? I'm looking forward to greater gains over the next few weeks if I drop to 6, because from 10 to 8 was pretty significant, and I usually start dying around 5-6 reps, so this oughta help out a bunch.
Old 26-Jun-04, 12:20 PM   #26
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Yeah, abs are more low twitch fiber i believe, so it is good to train with more reps. I generally do not do ab work because on all the major lifts, you are definitely working your abs, especially on deadlifts/squats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26-Jun-04, 12:55 PM   #27
gcs118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk
Yeah, abs are more low twitch fiber i believe, so it is good to train with more reps. I generally do not do ab work because on all the major lifts, you are definitely working your abs, especially on deadlifts/squats.
I find this true as well, working the abs as part of other major lifts, so I go very light on my abs day. The thing is, they never get that squishy feeling other muscles do after being worked hard. Even after 3 heavy sets of 15 on the crunch machine, I mean they hurt bad, but were still solid. Weird. Anyway, I intend to rework my routine starting tomorrow.
Old 26-Jun-04, 02:23 PM   #28
gcs118

ARMS, Saturday, June 26, 2004
Close Grip Bench Press 8 x 85 lbs, 8 x 90 lbs, 8 x 95 lbs
Barbell Curl 8 x 70 lbs, 8 x 75 lbs, 4 x 80 lbs
Skull Crushers 8 x 55 lbs, 8 x 60 lbs, 8 x 65 lbs
Preacher Curl 8 x 45 lbs, 7 x 55 lbs, 1 x 65 lbs

Notes: Just wanted to finish out the week on 8 reps to keep it consistent. Starting tomorrow or Tuesday, whichever day I lift, I'll drop to 6 reps most likely. Didn't want to push myself on the close grip benches today, seeing as how it was my first time doing them, I had no spot, and my bench isn't really that great. Otherwise worked the bis and tris pretty well today.
Old 26-Jun-04, 03:42 PM   #29
Firehawk
PowerLifter

What you should do, in my opinion, is add enough weight taht you are sure you can get at least 4 reps, but can't get more than 6. If you can get 6, you need to add more weight.

Nice workout, but sub preacher curls for Dumbbell Alternating curls. Preacher curls isolate your biceps too much, and will cause you to lift much lighter weight. Notice how much you have to drop off from a Barbell curl to a preacher curl? That shouldn't be the case...

This is just my advice man, but I am getin great results, and im not even trying to bulk right now lol.

My biceps get worked on back day, so generally my bi's are half dead when i start training them lol. Heres my bicep routine:

Barbell Curls 3 sets of 4-6 reps (if i get 6 reps, i add 5 lbs to the next set then up everything the following week).
DB alternating Curls 2 sets of 4-6 reps each hand. Remember, stand up and do these, and let your body move naturally as you curl the weight, dont try to isolate the bicep completely.

Your biceps are a smaller muscle, so they don't need to be taxed like chest and back muscles do.

Here's a good read on how to do them right:

http://www.ast-ss.com/training/exerc...sp?bp=Arm&pn=3

Old 26-Jun-04, 06:25 PM   #30
gcs118

I'm probably gonna drop to 6 reps on most everything for awhile to see how that works. I'll do 3 sets for each exercise, increasing the weight each set, and if I complete a full 3 x 6, then I'll add weight next time.

Dumbbell curls are part of my regular workout, just not this week. They will be there next week. I try to mix it up for a variety so I don't get bored and also to hit the muscles differently. I do my DB curls sitting down, I don't really see a benefit from standing?

Tags
active recovery, added sugar, added weight, adding mass, alternating curls, arnold press, arnold presses, assisted pull, assisted pullups, awesome workout, balanced meal, balanced meals, bar pulldowns, bar rows, barbell curl, barbell curls, barbell press, barbell row, barbell rows, barbell shrug, barbell shrugs, basic exercises, behind head, bell curls, bell press, bench max, bench press, bench presses, bench routine, bicep workout, blood flow, blood flowing, body builder, body builders, body exercise, body fat, body guessing, body routines, body split, body weight, body workout, bodyweight exercises, box squats, brisk walk, brisk walking, bruce lee, building muscle, bulking phase, butter sandwich, cable crunch, cable crunches, cable pull, cable push, cable pushdown, cable row, cable rows, calf machine, calf press, calf presses, calf raise, calf raise machine, calf raises, calorie dense, canned tuna, cardio routine, cherry pickers, chest area, chest exercise, chest exercises, chicken breast, chicken legs, chicken sandwich, clean eating, compound exercise, compound movement, compound movements, concentration curls, conventional deadlift, conventional deadlifts, core strength, counting calories, creatine supplementation, crunch machine, curl bar, currently eating, currently weigh, cut calories, decent workout, decline bb, decline bench, decline crunch, decline sit, decline situps, deep squat, delt raises, diamond push, digestive system, digital camera, dip machine, distance runner, distance running, domini sit semper, double overhand, drop weight, dumbbell curl, dumbbell curls, dumbbell fly, dumbbell flyes, dumbbell incline, dumbbell press, dumbbell presses, dumbbell row, dumbbell shoulder, dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell shrugs, dumbell curl, dumbell curls, early morning, exercise routine, extra fat, extra muscle, fall asleep, farmers walk, fast food, fast twitch fibers, felt heavy, felt strong, fitness test, flat bench, flat bench press, flat press, floor presses, flutter kicks, gain muscle, gain muscle mass, gain weight, gaining strength, gaining weight, gotta eat, grilled chicken, grip bench, grip bench press, grip chin, grip chins, grip lat, grip pull, grip pulldown, grip pulldowns, grip strength, grip training, grow muscle, hack squats, hammer curl, hammer curls, hammer str, hang cleans, hanging leg, hanging leg raise, hanging leg raises, head press, healthy eating, healthy foods, healthy lifestyle, heart rate, heavy bag, heavy bench, heavy compound, heavy deadlifts, heavy deads, heavy lifts, heavy squats, heavy stuff, heavy weights, heavy workout, high calorie, high protein, high pull, high weight, higher rep, higher volume, higher weight, higher weights, hill sprints, hip flexor, hip flexors, holy cow, hook grip, hours sleep, hours straight, human body, ice cream, incline bb, incline bench, incline db, incline dumbbell press, incline fly, incline press, incline presses, increasing weight, intense workout, intense workouts, interval training, interval workout, isolation exercise, joint pain, jumping rope, junk food, keeping track, knee raises, knee wraps, kneeling cable, knees bent, kung fu, lat pull, lat pulldown, lat pulls, lat raise, lat tower, late afternoon, late night, lateral raise, lateral raises, lean forward, lean mass, leaning forward, left knee, leg curl, leg dead, leg deadlift, leg drive, leg exercises, leg extension, leg lift, leg lifts, leg press, leg routine, leg strength, leg training, leg workout, leg workouts, legs straight, lift weights, lifting heavier, lifting program, lifting routine, light cardio, light warm, light weight, local gym, losing body fat, low box, low fat, low impact, lower weight, lower weights, lung capacity, machine crunches, martial arts, mass builder, max squat, max weight, meal plan, medium grip, mentioned earlier, merry christmas, mile jog, mile warm, military press, moderate intensity, moderate pace, moderate weight, moving forward, muscle development, muscle gain, muscle growth, muscle mass, muscle memory, muscle strength, muscle weight, muscles grow, neck press, normal routine, normal weight, oly lifts, overall strength, overhand grip, overhead db, overhead press, overhead pressing, parallel squat, pause bench, pax domini sit, peanut butter sandwich, perfectly fine, personal preference, personal record, plank hold, poor diet, pound plate, pound plates, power lifter, power lifters, power lifting, powerlifting routine, preacher curl, previous workout, progress pictures, proper form, protein bar, protein intake, protein meal, protein powder, protein shake, protein source, protein sources, pullup bar, push jerk, push press, quick lifts, quick workout, rack pull, rack pulls, raise machine, rear delt raises, rear delts, red meat, regular deadlift, regular deadlifts, regular squats, rep schemes, resistance training, reverse flies, reverse wrist, reverse wrist curls, rotator cuffs, running intervals, running workout, russian twists, saturated fat, scale weight, seated cable row, seated cable rows, seated calf raise, seated calf raises, seated military, seated military press, seated overhead, seated row, serious weight, short workout, shoulder exercises, shoulder injury, shoulder joint, shoulder pain, shoulder press, shoulder workout, sissy squats, sit semper vobiscum, size gains, skim milk, skull crushers, slow twitch, smaller muscles, smith machine, solid muscle, sore throat, soy milk, specific exercise, specific training, speed bag, sports med, sports medicine, spring break, squat clean, squat form, squat rack, squat racks, standard grip pull, standing calf raise, standing military, standing military press, static hold, stationary bike, stay healthy, stay tuned, stiff leg, stiff legged deadlift, stiff legged deadlifts, stiff legs, still hurts, still sore, still working, straight bar, straight leg deadlift, straight leg deadlifts, straight legged, strength endurance, strength gain, strength gains, strength loss, strength train, strength training, suitcase deadlift, sumo deadlift, sumo deadlifts, super heavy, swiss ball, taco bell, taking creatine, taking whey, target weight, term goal, trader joe, training method, training methods, training partner, training style, tricep cable, tricep exercise, tricep exercises, tricep ext, tricep extension, tricep extensions, tricep pressdown, tricep pull, tricep pulldown, tricep pulldowns, tricep pushdowns, tsk tsk, underhand grip, upper body, upright row, upright rows, volume training, wait till, walking lunge, walking lunges, wall sit, wall sits, weight belt, weight bench, weight exercises, weight gain, weight gainer, weight lift, weight lifting, weight training, weighted chins, weighted decline, weighted dips, weighted pullups, weighted sit, wheat bread, wheat germ, whey protein, wide grip, wide grip pull, wide stance, wider grip, wider stance, woo hoo, working weight, workout meal, workout partner, workout program, workout routine, wrist curls, yard dash, yates row