Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Female Fitness

Female Fitness Forum specifically for women to learn and share advice.

Old 21-Sep-04, 04:42 PM   #31
Amkey

Send a message via AIM to Amkey Send a message via Yahoo to Amkey
P.S You need to make sure you get 128oz of WATER each day before you drink any "other" liquids. I just realized your number of posts. I think you would get your moneys worth by going and searching the correct way to diet and the importance of macros and timing. Eating refined crap is just that..crap and a calorie is not the same as a calorie. With the short time you have been doing this, you will only harm yourself by not doing the correct research and doing what you think is right or what is right for others. Dropping your calories too low will only drive you further away from your goal and by your post I do not think you believe us much. Finding the correct amount of calories is a trick yes but like I said it takes trial and error. Ask anyone who you think their body is exactly what you want yours to be and ask them how long they have been at it. They will all say years and finding what works is half of it.

If what you say your weight is true (135 lbs) and you can fit into a 8/10 then this may make you think about finding the correct way to diet. I weigh 20 solid more pounds than you and I can fit into an 8 most of the time. Fit into a 10 on a bad day and a 7 on a good. I have a hell of a long way to go as well.
Amkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-04, 04:47 PM   #32
MrsRiley

Quote:
This is not your Dad's responsibility!!! It's yours - take ownership of it and deal with it. (Mrs Riley this is why I emphasize behaviour and food relationship. It's the whole root of her problem. She wants someone else to to the dirty - unpleasant work for her which will not give her strength and independance in taking responsibilty for her own health!)
ok when you put it in those terms I do agree with you.
I've been thru this myself....I had been blaming the boy for eating 'bad' stuff in front of me and making me want some but the truth is it was my choice to give in whether him eating it made it harder for me to resist or not it was still my choice to give in.

edited to add: I'm 150lbs in a 6/8....everyone's body is different!!!

Last edited by MrsRiley; 21-Sep-04 at 04:51 PM.
MrsRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-04, 04:59 PM   #33
Amkey

I added that in to prove that looking at a scale is not the answer as well as dieting incorrectly will make the scale say what you want it to say but result in muscle loss and not fat loss.
Old 21-Sep-04, 05:05 PM   #34
MrsRiley

yah I added mine in just to reinforce your point. :
Old 21-Sep-04, 05:14 PM   #35
mseyes79

scale

I'm not asking anyone to do the dirty work for me and I'm not blaming my ex because of how I ate. I ate because I was stressed and depressed and that's how I ballooned up to a size 18.

I found this site and thought that talking with other women would help me not bitch at me because of what I used to do or that I'm asking them for advice. I do take everyone's advice seriously. In my posts, I am telling my story of what I've gone thru and what I'm going thru. I thought that being able to talk to other women that have gone thru it would help.

I also know that it won't happen over night - like I said, I didn't get like this over night, and it won't come off over night either! I appreciate everyone's help, but I thought talking to ppl would be more supportive and not so 'looking down' on my and what I've done. All I was wanting was some advice, some incentive... like a support group. I apologize if I've come off the wrong way.

I stopped weighing on scale about 2 months ago. Now, I just measure. I'm not really worried about the weight, just how I look in the mirror and in my clothes. And of course, trying to get the rest of this fat off my abs.

Last edited by mseyes79; 21-Sep-04 at 05:19 PM. Reason: also...
mseyes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-04, 07:17 PM   #36
Amkey

No one is bitching at you. We are trying to help you get on the right track. Like I said just go do that search and you will learn a lot about dieting. It will help that fat come off the tummy area. It helped me.
Quite frankly and please do not take this the wrong way but I do not care about how you got big or what made you eat that way. I know what my problem was when I did so I fixed it. If you want to fix it then tell yourself no excuses about being depressed and eating and/or telling yourself that since you didn't have a pound of candy during the week means you can have it on Saturday. I have not had ice cream in several months. I have not gone through a drive thru in a year and I have not had taco bell in several years. Does that mean a nacho supreme tonight for dinner would be okay? Yes it does mean that. Now I had 4 slices of pizza Sunday night so that means that I can't have tha nacho supreme because I had my crappy meal for the 2 weeks.

You want the fat to go away then you have to diet simple as that. That doesnt mean simply changing your eating habits or making yourself starve. It means learning what foods do what and when they do it and using that to your advantage and eating that consistantly.
Old 21-Sep-04, 07:31 PM   #37
Lady C
"I know squat"

What does your diet look like when you are not eating "high protein" and not the tuna and salad one either. We need to know what you eat like normally.
Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Sep-04, 07:40 PM   #38
LINDA

I'm @132lbs today and still happily a size12. I've been a size 12 for most of my adult life from 110 lbs to 140lbs always a size 12. I've never been outside of the healthy weight range/BMI for my height. I have lived some pretty unhealthy lifestyles though. I paid the price for it in other ways.

Believe it or not myeyes I think all this talk is good for you. It's not easy to put yourself out there and ask questions on a board like this. I commend you for that. I don't think we are looking down at you at all. It's just the way we are. No sugar coating on the advice. The fact that you generated so many responses is proof that we are supportive and want to help.

Take some time to reread everything to digest the information (no pun intended)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-04, 10:23 AM   #39
mseyes79

wow

Ok, I reread over all the posts. Again I say thanks for everyone's help. I didn't have time to check out the websites that you guys listed before, but I did now. I'm going to try to do my body fat % tonight. I went to www.room42.com and entered in my measurements to see what I should be eating. They said the following for me:

Basal Caloric Intake Active C.I. Weight Loss C.I.
1391.2 Cal 2086.8 Cal 1200 Cal
46.374g F 69.561g F 40g F
52.171g P 72.256g P 45g P
191.29g C 286.94g C 165g C

Do you guys really go by their count? I was always told that your protein level should be basically your weight (1g per lb) and your Carb level should be low as possible. These aren't even near that. I thought that if I lowered my carb levels, that my body would start burning up the fat I have on it now. Is that not true? It also said that to safely lose weight, I should be consuming 1200 Cal a day or less to lose 1 lb every 18 days. Geez that's like every 2 1/2 wks! When I first started, I was losing about 2 lbs every wk! However, I do think that these #s are good and will try to go by them. I know it takes your body about 42 hrs to adjust to a new diet, but this jittery feeling is REALLY getting on my nerves! When I went to the grocery store, I bought some peaches and a bag of fruit 'n nut snack mix. I figure it would be good for me before my runs.

Today is back and shoulder day w/ a 3M run. I know the best thing would be to not do weights and cardio on the same day, but I'd be working out all 7 days then - 4 day cardio, 3 day workouts. Tomorrow is my day off - of everything! Friday is my long run - 7M this time. I haven't done legs and was going to do them w/ my abs either Sat or Sun. Should I even do legs since I'm running so much?

I also wanted to say that it's weird how everyone is in the sizes they are in and weigh what we do. That's hilarious that 3 of us are all size 8/10 but our weights range sooo much!

Last edited by mseyes79; 22-Sep-04 at 10:25 AM. Reason: everyone's weight and size
Old 22-Sep-04, 11:12 AM   #40
Amkey

1 to 1.5 grams protein per LEAN BODY WEIGHT. You need to get you body tested to know this. Feed the muscle not the fat. A 200lb man that is mostly fat does not need 300 grams of protein. It will be stored just like any other extra calorie.
Old 22-Sep-04, 11:42 AM   #41
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
mseyes I don't want to chime in on the nutrition aspect too much but with the amount you are running it is important to have a certain amount of carbs, but good carbs, in your diet. Especially that 7 mile run. You will burn a ton of calories! So so have the good carbs before your run to give you the fuel your body needs. You should work out your legs even though you run. Although your leg workouts should be placed before an easy run so you don't get to sore to do your training schedule. In fact an easy run the day after your leg workout will help with soreness. If you have a good leg workout you'll find your running will improve, both speed and endurance. Plus you'll help keep the injuries away by building well balanced muscles.
Old 22-Sep-04, 12:24 PM   #42
mseyes79

How do you stay under the calories and still get enough C, P, and F? What foods are good for this?

I'm going to do my body fat % tonight.
Old 22-Sep-04, 12:55 PM   #43
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
A tool many feel useful is fitday.com. You can record what you eat the number of calories split into carb/protein/fat and you can also record your activity level and the calories you are burning to see a total. I'm going to start using it again too cause I did find it helpful once I'd gotten some of my foods (custom not what they list) into it.
Old 22-Sep-04, 01:21 PM   #44
mseyes79

I have been writing down what I eat and the amt of Cal, P, C, & F ea have in them. What's the diff from writing it down than entering it on fitday.com?
Old 22-Sep-04, 01:25 PM   #45
Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseyes79
How do you stay under the calories and still get enough C, P, and F? What foods are good for this?
Meeting calorie restrictions can be tough enough without getting *too* preoccupied with specific macro ratios and requirements. Everybody comes to the fitness table with slightly (and often not so slightly) different goals and priorities and the breakdown that suits one person might not work very well for another and might actually work against a third.

Since you're still looking to trim excess fat I would suggest focusing primarily on 'bigger picture' type stuff -- overall approach to eating, learning about the content of various foods, meal timing, things like that.

Once you get more comfortable with the broad stroke stuff you can take a look at tweaking specific macro breakdowns and finding the one that's best suited for you. And one of the nice things about p/c/f contents of most foods is it's actually pretty hard to go dangerously low in any one of them.

As long as you don't go off on some goofy 'I'm only going to eat cabbage boiled in grapefruit juice' jag and stick with a balanced mix of clean, unprocessed foods the p/c/f stuff should almost work itself out.
Octagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
added sugar, adding muscle, afternoon snack, baked chicken, balsamic vinegar, bbq sauce, bell pepper, bell peppers, belly button, bicep curl, bicep curls, binge eating, black beans, blood sugar, blood sugar levels, body adapts, body builder, body burns, body fat, body fat percentage, body mass, body responds, body size, body weight, body workout, bodyfat level, bodyfat levels, boiled eggs, brown rice, brown sugar, building muscle, burn muscle, cal diet, caloric intake, calorie deficit, calorie intake, calorie range, calorie restriction, calories worth, candy bar, carb bread, carb load, carb loading, cardio exercise, cardio routine, cheat meal, chicken breast, chromium picolinate, cold turkey, complex carb, complex carbs, cooking spray, count calories, counter productive, daily activities, daily cal, daily caloric, daily caloric intake, daily calorie, daily calories, dark chocolate, deep fried, diet plan, digital camera, dried fruit, eat breakfast, eat high, eat protein, eating disorder, energy level, energy levels, excess calories, excess fat, extra lean, extra protein, fast food, fat burn, fat burners, fat burning, fat calipers, fat cheese, fat cottage, fat cottage cheese, fat level, fat levels, fat loss, flat stomach, food choices, food store, food stores, football player, football players, frequent meals, fresh veggies, gain muscle, gain weight, gained weight, gaining muscle, gotta eat, grain bread, grain breads, granola bars, grapefruit juice, green tea, grilled chicken, grocery shopping, health food, health food store, healthy choice, healthy fat, healthy fats, healthy lifestyle, healthy weight, heavy weights, high calorie, high glycemic, high protein, higher rep, hydrogenated oils, ice cream, ideal weight, inches apart, insulin spikes, junk food, junk foods, kidney beans, lean body, lean body mass, lean body weight, lean forward, lean protein, lean steak, leg curl, leg extension, leg press, leg squats, leg workout, leg workouts, lift weights, lifting heavy weights, lifting weights, light headed, light weight, losing fat, losing weight, low body, low bodyfat, low cal, low carb, low fat, low fat cottage, low impact, marathon runner, marathon training, mass building, meal plan, meal timing, mixed nuts, mostly fat, muscle building, muscle gain, muscle loss, muscle mass, muscle tissue, muscle tone, natural pb, natural peanut butter, nutritional info, nutritional information, nutritional value, nutritional values, online journal, optimum nutrition, partially hydrogenated, personal choice, personal preference, personal trainer, plain water, portion control, portion size, portion sizes, potato chips, primary goal, processed food, processed foods, protein bar, protein concentrate, protein drinks, protein intake, protein isolate, protein powder, protein shake, pun intended, quick fix, quick oats, romaine lettuce, rye bread, skim milk, skinless chicken, skinless chicken breast, slice cheese, slow process, slow twitch, south beach, spare tire, spot reduce, stability ball, stay focused, stay motivated, still eat, still hungry, still working, stir fry, stop eating, store fat, strength loss, sugar alcohols, sugar levels, sweet potatoe, sweet tooth, taco bell, tape measure, term goal, trail mix, training method, training program, training programs, training schedule, training sessions, trans fat, trans fats, twitch muscle, upper abs, upper body, water bottle, weight gain, weight loss, weight training, wheat bread, wheat tortilla, whey isolate, whey protein, whey protein shake, white flour, white rice, workout routine, workout shake