Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > Strength Training

Strength Training Forum for Powerlifting, Olympic Lifts, Strongman Competitors, Kettlebell Training, and other forms of strength training

Old 10-Jan-05, 03:43 PM   #31
grambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lift2Live
I believe that to be somewhat true Khaine. I am convinced that some people were just meant to lift. Speaking about big benches, those people will progress more quickly. Genetics play a huge role in lifting. I see skinny dudes at the gym who look like they have no place lifting more than 95lbs. yet, they pound out 12 reps of 225 with good form. Alot of these guys have long arms and alot of torque built into their frame. I personally am a short, stumpy dude with short limbs and that takes away alot from my bench, squat and a few other lifts. Now, none of this translates into size because I am a big boy yet my weights are below alot of peoples'. I build muscle very easily but strength-wise I am average. I think there are many factors that create a large lift.

It is true that different builds will result in certian lifts possibly being easier. I've always wondered what specific builds are best for each of the big 3. However, I've never that let that idea hinder me mentally one bit.
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-05, 05:11 PM   #32
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine
That would depend on your original build, no.....? I had great progress strength wise for the first six months and could definitely see my muscles getting larger and more defined, but then, I started out wit a small, skinny frame and low bf%.... I find it likely that a person who is looking to LOSE weight as well as get stronger and more defined would take longer to see results in all areas, and thus would be more prone to getting discouraged.....
I'd think just the opposite really. Skinny people take alot longer to see muscle growth (so it seems) and genearlly get discouraged and start to think they will Never have that big build that they dream of.

I come from the other end, have a large frame and am trying to cut. I've seen awesome strength gains but what I get frustrated about is the length of time it takes to cut fat and cut fat properly. lol

So yeah I guess it does depend on where you're coming from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-05, 12:17 AM   #33
Cort

Send a message via ICQ to Cort Send a message via AIM to Cort Send a message via Yahoo to Cort
I cut down my weight first, then started working on strength. Worked pretty fine, I saw some fairly great gains. Its sorta evened out over the last few months though, been way too busy so I'm barely getting in 3 days a week. Once classes start I actually have 3 days specifically set aside where I have time to lift no matter what, and I bet I can get in another 2 on my own easily...can't wait for that.

Part of it is just how much you're willing to put into it. If someone REALLY wants the strength, they put in the effort to get it. If they don't...then they don't and they give up.

Last edited by Cort; 11-Jan-05 at 12:20 AM.
Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-05, 02:34 PM   #34
killerduck

Send a message via MSN to killerduck
my arms are about 14" which i would say is about a big as the average non fat bastard man. I suck a bench and can only do about 80kg max (179 lbs)
Old 22-Jan-05, 08:49 PM   #35
Blaze

I read in a Men's Fitness or Men's Health(not sure which one), a few months back that the average guy could bench 93% of his body weight. Which isn't much, but, it's true if you think about it. The average person, never touches weights.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-05, 09:07 PM   #36
Lift2Live

Send a message via Yahoo to Lift2Live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze
I read in a Men's Fitness or Men's Health(not sure which one), a few months back that the average guy could bench 93% of his body weight. Which isn't much, but, it's true if you think about it. The average person, never touches weights.
Yikes, I have some work to do! LOL 93% of my BW is 218lbs. and only now can I bench 215 for 8 reps.
Lift2Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-05, 09:25 PM   #37
Cort

Send a message via ICQ to Cort Send a message via AIM to Cort Send a message via Yahoo to Cort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lift2Live
Yikes, I have some work to do! LOL 93% of my BW is 218lbs. and only now can I bench 215 for 8 reps.
It means as a maximum 1 rep I think.

Its mostly for those who lack weight training though, and the average person just doesn't lift a lot. The average lifter who's been at it a while should at least be able to do their own bodyweight for 1 rep, and probably more than that.
Old 24-Jan-05, 11:31 AM   #38
Jackal

I'd say the average lifter has 13'' inch arms. Come to my university gym and 90% of the guys in there are about that size.

"Veni, vidi, vici." - Julius Caesar
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-05, 02:35 PM   #39
candyass

That 93% sounds about right. I dont think we should put a specific number on the lift as it is so dependent on body type and size.
candyass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-05, 03:46 PM   #40
Cort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'd say the average lifter has 13'' inch arms. Come to my university gym and 90% of the guys in there are about that size.
Scary where I'm at man, its like everyone has 16-18 inch arms here, I always feel like I'm puny when I go to work out
Old 15-Feb-05, 11:29 AM   #41
Hazukidojo

average depends on what you are comparing it too...or the "base"

bench - 425
arms - 20"
Hazukidojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-05, 07:52 PM   #42
John29

i doubt the average bench press is over 200.
John29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-05, 08:55 PM   #43
DaRkAnGel

Send a message via AIM to DaRkAnGel Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkAnGel
Any arm size under 16 and i don't think most men look like men. You can pull it off with a small build but i wouldn't be able to stand having 13 inch arms. My forearms are 14.5 so i just even imagine that on me.
DaRkAnGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-05, 01:57 PM   #44
arbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkAnGel
Any arm size under 16 and i don't think most men look like men. You can pull it off with a small build but i wouldn't be able to stand having 13 inch arms. My forearms are 14.5 so i just even imagine that on me.
My arms are under 14
arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-05, 02:08 PM   #45
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkAnGel
Any arm size under 16 and i don't think most men look like men.
Uh, what?! Talk about stereotyping! Isn't that about like saying that if women don't have breast/chest girths greater than 33" then they don't look like women? That perspective is just a bit narrow, don't you think?

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cursor; 22-Feb-05 at 07:23 PM.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm size, bench press, body weight, build muscle, compound movement, compound movements, cut fat, grip chin, grip chinups, heavy compound, heavy compound movements, hours straight, left shoulder, low bf, muscle growth, muscle mass, play football, pounds heavier, shoulder injury, strength gain, strength gains, weight training, wide grip