Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 12-Feb-05, 10:22 AM   #46
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
have you ever done low volume like 4-5 sets per muscle group?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-05, 10:25 AM   #47
Klinger

2-11 Shoulders/traps & Cardio

Cutting update: Checked weight today. Still steady at 172, but I think definition in my abs/torso is improving. Been trying to keep calorie count around 2,200 or so (maintenance is roughly 2,600), but I have only been doing cardio 1-2 times a week. I'll be happy if I can maintain my strength and drop to 168. I want to be cut for spring, so I really only need to lose a pound a week to get there. An extra cardio session should take care of that.

DB press: 45x6, 45x6, 50x5, 50x4

Lateral raise: 25x4, 25x4, 20x6
Up from 20s last week

DB shrug: 80x10, 80x10, 80x10

EZ bar upright row: 75x8, 85x6

Standing military press: 85x6, 85x6
Had to push press (recruit legs) the last two reps of set 2.

Cardio: 10 minutes on the recumbent bike, 10 minutes running on the treadmill.
Old 12-Feb-05, 10:29 AM   #48
Firehawk
PowerLifter

When you guys are doing the 8-6-4-4-2-2 or whatever, are all those weights you are doing for each set basically heavey enough that you can't do 1 more rep? So basiclaly you going to the limit on each of those sets?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-Feb-05, 10:31 AM   #49
Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk
have you ever done low volume like 4-5 sets per muscle group?
Sort of - back when I was doing full body I'd do 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of incline bench, 3-4 sets of rows, etc. It was great for maintenance but gains were slow. My perfect setup seems to be what I'm doing now - 10-14 sets for each body part, each part once a week (Back/Chest/Legs/Shoulders/Arms).
Old 12-Feb-05, 10:56 AM   #50
Firehawk
PowerLifter

The gains were probably slow because you ewre doing a full body workout lol.

I was talking more along the lines of a 3 day split and doing that low volume.

Old 12-Feb-05, 11:00 AM   #51
gcs118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk
The gains were probably slow because you ewre doing a full body workout lol.

I was talking more along the lines of a 3 day split and doing that low volume.
Why is doing a full body workout going to make gains slow? :confused:

gcs118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-05, 11:02 AM   #52
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Could be alot of reasons. You can't focus on a part like you can if you did them on separate days for instance. Come on dude, you are geared toward powerlifting. Do i need to tell you that? lol

Old 12-Feb-05, 11:12 AM   #53
gcs118

lol well I know full body isn't what I'd need, but I could see some people gaining from it. (especially newbies! so it might work as a change of pace for more experienced lifters)

Old 12-Feb-05, 11:25 AM   #54
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Newbies can make progrss on anything they do though man. I didnt say people wouldnt' make progrss, but I'd think the progrss wouldn't be as good. This has been argued before on this forum so last thing I wanna do is get into it. It definitely wouldn't work for me though, just now how I work lol. I need to focus on one part at a time, and get the intensity ready for that part.

Old 12-Feb-05, 02:40 PM   #55
.V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinger
Checked weight today. Still steady at 172, but I think definition in my abs/torso is improving.

An extra cardio session should take care of that.
Yeah, one more day of cardio shouldn't hurt anything - it sucks to have to do it though don't it? It sure would be great to just lift and never have to do any cardio.

Same body weight + more definition = less fat and more muscle.

Are you burning fat and building muscle at the same time? Shame on you, that isn't supposed to be allowed.

Keep up the good work.
Old 13-Feb-05, 08:05 AM   #56
Klinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_welch503
Are you burning fat and building muscle at the same time? Shame on you, that isn't supposed to be allowed.
Yeah, I am. But that is very slow going as you probably know. Other than a cutting period 3+years ago, I've been around 168-174 forever.

I'm reluctant to do a traditional bulk/cut cycle because I know how much I love to bulk. My fear would be I would lack the discipline to go the other way! Since I've finally learned to eat well and within reason, I have no desire to return to the dark side.

Besides, at 34, I'm in no hurry. If it takes a year to get my squat to 300 or my bench to 200, so be it. At least I'll be fit while I'm doing it.
Old 13-Feb-05, 08:11 AM   #57
Klinger

2-12 Arms

Great day all around. Surprised myself with the jump on CG bench. Obviously my tris and shoulders are solid, so it's time to figure out why my flat bench and close-grip bench weights are so close. I'm slowly morphing toward MAX-OT style. The strictness appeals to my German sensibility.

Close-grip flat bench: 130x6 (too easy), 135x6, 135x6, 135x6

Skull crusher: 65x8, 75x6, 75x6 (barely)
I'll try to do 3 sets of 6 at 75 next week before going to 77.5 or 80.

BB curl: 80x5, 80x5, 80x5
Again, I want to get 6 here before going up.

Seated alt. DB hammer curl: 30x6, 35x6
Was shocked to get 6 reps with 35s 'cause my bis were pretty toasty.
Old 13-Feb-05, 08:51 AM   #58
gcs118

Wow nice close grips. I remember I did a set of 135 once and it wasn't too easy! Congrats, good accomplishment.

Old 13-Feb-05, 09:19 AM   #59
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Klinger have you thought about trying a powerlifting routien for awhile to get your strength up there?

Id guess if your close grip and bench are so close, your chest/front delts/lats are all out of proportion. Hmm.

Old 13-Feb-05, 10:03 AM   #60
gcs118

lol spreading more powerlifting propagana are ya Firehawk?

Tags
active recovery, added weight, alternating db, apple juice, arm row, awesome workout, ball crunches, bar curl, bar curls, bar rows, behind head, bell curls, bench max, bench press, bench routine, bicep curl, blades together, blood flow, blood flowing, body fat, body routines, body weight, body workout, boiled eggs, box squats, brisk walk, building muscle, burger king, burning fat, cable crunch, cable crunches, cable curl, cable curls, cable press, cable pressdown, cable push, cable pushdown, cable row, calf raise, calf raise machine, calf raises, calorie count, calorie deficit, calorie intake, chest press, chest presses, chicken breast, chicken breasts, compound movement, core lifts, core strength, crunch machine, curl machine, decent workout, decline bb, decline bench, decline crunch, decline db, decline sit, decline situps, deep breath, delt row, digital camera, dip machine, dips bw, dips bwx, double overhand, dumbell curl, dumbell curls, earned muscle, elbows tucked, extension machine, extra cardio, fat mass, felt heavy, felt strong, flat barbell, flat barbell bench, flat bench, flat press, floor presses, functional strength, green veggie, green veggies, grip bench, grip chin, grip chins, grip chinups, grip lat, grip press, grip pull, grip pulldown, grip pulldowns, grip pullup, hammer curl, hammer curls, hammer str, hanging leg, hanging leg raise, head press, heart attacks, heart rate, heart rate monitor, heavy bag, heavy bench, heavy deads, heavy weights, high intensity, high row, higher rep, higher weight, hip flexor, hip flexors, inch box, incline bb, incline bench, incline curl, incline db, incline press, increased strength, increasing weight, interval workout, isolation exercise, jay cutler, junk food, kneeling cable, lat pull, lat pulldown, lat raise, lat tower, lateral raise, lean forward, leaning forward, leg curl, leg drive, leg extension, leg muscles, leg press, leg sled, leg workout, lift heavier, light cardio, light weight, loading phase, low cable, low row, lower chest, lying db, mass building, max squat, max weight, meter pace, mile jog, mile timed, mile warm, military press, moderate cardio, moderate pace, moderate weight, muscle gain, muscle mass, neck press, neutral grip, nitrogen balance, overall fitness, overall strength, overhead db, overhead press, overhead pressing, overhead tricep, pause bench, personal record, pill form, positive failure, pound db, pound plate, pound plates, pounds heavier, powder form, preacher curl, proper form, push press, rack pull, raise machine, rate monitor, rear delt row, rear delts, rear lat, rear lateral, rear laterals, recumbent bike, rep schemes, retain water, reverse crunch, reverse fly, rope pushdowns, running shoes, running workout, russian twists, seated calf raise, seated military, seated military press, seated overhead, sharp pain, shoulder blades, shoulder blades together, shoulder pain, shoulder press, shoulder workout, size gains, skull crushers, slow pace, soy milk, spring break, squat machine, squat rack, standard push, standing cable, standing calf raise, standing calf raises, standing military, standing military press, static hold, still sore, story short, strength gain, strength gains, strength train, strength training, suitcase deadlift, swiss ball, taking creatine, term effects, term goal, torso rotation, training program, training programs, training style, treadmill running, tricep ext, tricep extension, triceps press, triceps push, triceps pushdowns, underhand grip, upper abs, upper body, upright row, upright rows, video clip, weight gain, weighted chins, weighted decline, weighted pullups, wheat bread, whey protein, wide grip, wider grip, woo hoo, working legs, working weight, workout partner, workout shake, wrist curls