Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 14-Dec-05, 08:33 PM   #61
rangers97
I need a title!

i dunno, I even sprayed the rail with WD-40, and while it was a bit easier and smoother, still hard as hell though. Maybe we take for granted that the commercial pulldown machines are just too easy, maybe the weight stacks don't really add up to what they say they do, maybe the pully system just makes it easier? Who knows, but my rack has a low cable attachment as well, to do low cable rows and stuff, and this one is even harder than the overhead one! I can barely do rows with 50 pounds!! It is nuts
Old 14-Dec-05, 08:35 PM   #62
rangers97
I need a title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_welch503
What is it with some lat pulldown machines? I weigh 181. If I put 150 on it, I end up doing pullups from the seat. That's why I made a seatbelt so I could pull the weight instead of pulling myself up.
I tried your suggestion of using a "seat belt", well, I used my weight belt for my back strapped under the bench and wrapped around my legs, man I was practically lifting the bench off the ground with each rep, lol, but at least my legs stayed on the bench:
Old 14-Dec-05, 09:01 PM   #63
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers97
i dunno, I even sprayed the rail with WD-40, and while it was a bit easier and smoother, still hard as hell though. Maybe we take for granted that the commercial pulldown machines are just too easy, maybe the weight stacks don't really add up to what they say they do, maybe the pully system just makes it easier? Who knows, but my rack has a low cable attachment as well, to do low cable rows and stuff, and this one is even harder than the overhead one! I can barely do rows with 50 pounds!! It is nuts
Yeah my low pulley cable is very hard too. I wanted to do cable pullthrus and i was literally dragging the machine across the floor with me lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Dec-05, 07:39 AM   #64
rangers97
I need a title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk
Yeah my low pulley cable is very hard too. I wanted to do cable pullthrus and i was literally dragging the machine across the floor with me lol.
LOL!

If I tried to do that on my machine, I would literally have to put like 20 pounds on the stack to be able to move it, or else, like you said, it would become a machine dragging contest.

Any ideas on why these damn things are so tough? I mean, I could understand my old one, but the new one I have, the cable goes through a series of about 5 pullies, and the theory behind it is very similar to the ones in the gym, yet, it is impossible to move, unless you use a rediculously low weight. Eh, I guess it's still doing something right?:confused:
Old 15-Dec-05, 08:59 AM   #65
Firehawk
PowerLifter

The ones at the gym are probably balanced differently and might even be bolted to the floor. Ones at my gym are bolted to the floor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 15-Dec-05, 09:07 AM   #66
rangers97
I need a title!

Good point
Old 15-Dec-05, 05:02 PM   #67
rangers97
I need a title!

December 15 -- Speed Bench

As was yesterday, good but uneventful workout. Best part of the workout were the seated overhead presses, where I tried tucking my elbows in more and using pinkies on the rings, and guess what, the weight was easier to move than last week, no shoulder discomfort, and best of all, not bad elbow pain either, so either the glucosamine/chondroitin I am using is really working, or I just miraculously healed myself, lol.

Speed Bench
45 x 10
45 x 8
95 x 5
135 x 3
9 x 3 @ 155 using 3 different grips

Seated Overhead Press
95 x 8
135 x 5
155 x 3
185 x 6
185 x 6

Pin Presses (Pins set at about half way)
225 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5

DB Side Laterals
30 x 8
30 x 8
strict form on these, did not do the medley today

DB Rear Laterals
30 x 8
30 x 8
Old 15-Dec-05, 05:41 PM   #68
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Very nice workout hoss.

Old 15-Dec-05, 07:23 PM   #69
rangers97
I need a title!

why thank you

its all slowly coming together nicely :
Old 15-Dec-05, 08:37 PM   #70
gcs118

That's some solid over head pressing there, and using 155 for speed reps ain't too shabby either

gcs118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Dec-05, 05:35 AM   #71
Firehawk
PowerLifter

So the 155 moved quicker right? Now you doing things right, feels better don't it?

Old 16-Dec-05, 06:18 AM   #72
rangers97
I need a title!

of course it did...it was like moving air thats how it felt. I understand the reason for it, but it almost seems like it is TOO light. But that's fine with me , I ain't complaining :
Old 16-Dec-05, 06:20 AM   #73
rangers97
I need a title!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs118
That's some solid over head pressing there, and using 155 for speed reps ain't too shabby either
thanks, man. The overhead pressing was a bit of a surprise to me, since I really changed my form on them and concentrated on tucking in my elbows, like I mentioned. The surprise was that it was easier than when I had been doing it previously. I can't wait to get over 200 with these :
Old 16-Dec-05, 09:50 AM   #74
Firehawk
PowerLifter

You should actually feel taxed a little bit the next day after your speed bench. I always feel a bit sore in the chest and triceps. It does take it out of you if you're doing it right, because your supposed to be applying maximum force at the bottom and throughout to lock the weight out. This is teaching your muscles to fire at the same time and more efficiently.

Old 17-Dec-05, 01:17 PM   #75
rangers97
I need a title!

December 17 -- Heavy Deadlifts

Very good workout today. Had to start earlier than I would have liked since I have a party to go to tonight, but it worked out well, considering I only had 1 meal in me when I began, which was breakfast. I usually like to have at least 4 meals before working out, but maybe this isn't a bad way to go either, eh whatever.

Deadlifts
Conventional/mixed grip
95 x 3
135 x 3
185 x 1
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
325 x 1
335 x 1
Well, I had only planned on a max of 315 since I pulled 300 conventional last time I did deads, but it went kind of easy, so I added 10 pounds, then another, and I probably had a little more left in me, but why push it? 335 is a personal best for me pulling conventional, sumo or whatever, so I figured I would cut my losses and be happy with that. Maybe next heavy dead day I can hit 350? I made a video for this, will post it when I get a new monitor for my computer (old one died)

Speed Squats
5 x 5 @ 160
Very quick, felt good

SLDL
195 x 6
195 x 6
195 x 6

DB Lunges
50 x 6
50 x 6

Decline Crunches
BW x 20
BW x 20

Tags
amino acids, awesome workout, baby steps, bar curl, bar curls, bar rows, barbell bent, barbell row, barbell rows, barbell shrug, barbell shrugs, behind head, bench dip, bench dips, bench press, bench presses, bench routine, bigger muscles, blood flow, blood flowing, box squats, box squatting, cable pull, cable push, cable pushdown, cable row, cable rows, calf raise, calf raises, cambered bar, carb drink, conventional deadlift, core lifts, decent workout, decline bench, decline bench press, decline crunch, effort method, explosive power, felt strong, flat bench, flat bench press, floor presses, glute ham, glute ham raises, grip bench, grip bench press, grip lat, grip press, grip pull, grip pulldown, grip pulldowns, grip training, hack squats, ham raise, ham raises, hammer curl, hammer curls, head press, heavy bench, heavy deadlifts, higher rep, incline bench, incline bench press, incline db, incline press, increase muscle, inner thigh, inner thighs, lat pd, lat pull, lat pulldown, lat tower, lateral raise, lateral raises, leg extension, leg workout, light weight, low box, low cable, max squat, merry christmas, military press, moving forward, muscle building, muscles grow, overhand grip, overhead press, overhead pressing, paying attention, plate loaded, pound bench, pound db, pound plate, pound plates, powder form, power cleans, preacher bench, pressing movements, protein drinks, protein shake, pullup bar, rack pull, rack pulls, raw bench, rear delts, rear lat, rear lateral, rear laterals, regular bench, regular deadlift, regular deadlifts, regular squats, rep schemes, row machine, seated military, seated military press, seated overhead, short workout, shoulder pain, shoulder press, skull crushers, speed squats, squat rack, strength gain, strength gains, strength train, strength training, strict form, sumo deadlift, sumo deadlifts, sumo style, thumbless grip, tough workout, tricep exercise, tricep pushdowns, triceps press, triceps push, triceps pushdowns, underhand grip, upper abs, upper body, upright row, upright rows, video clip, wait till, weight belt, weight fast, weight training, weighted dips, wide grip, wide grip pull, wide stance, wider stance, working weight, workout drink, workout tonight, yates row, yates rows