Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Bodybuilding > General Bodybuilding

General Bodybuilding Forum for intermediate and experienced bodybuilders to learn and give advice.

Old 31-Oct-06, 03:24 PM   #1
Willie5566

Anyone else see this?

On Thursdays I go to the rec center and I am noticiting an annoying phenomena of people talking on their cell phones while working out. Don't get me wrong I am not an 80 yr old that is out of touch with soceity and technology. I'm 31 and I think it is ridiculous that people are on their cell phones at the gym. Am I crazy for this?
Willie5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-06, 05:57 PM   #2
LiftGirl
Site Admin

I don't mind if it's a quick, Hi, I'll call you back, but it's annoying when they're sitting on something for a half hour that you want to use just talking on their phone.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-06, 07:10 PM   #3
Mr VW

Haha. I'm only 19 and I hate it when people bring cellphones to the gym. I leave mine in the car. I don't care if anybody calls me, I'm busy working out.
Reach 8% BF
Gain 5 lbs of LBM
Mr VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-06, 09:06 PM   #4
.V.

Seen it, don't care. If I visit a gym instead of lifting at home, I'm there to workout and not watch people.

In fact, I'm getting a T-shirt made that says, "UNLESS YOU ARE HOT, FEMALE, AND 10 YEARS YOUNGER...DON'T TALK TO ME." to wear when I visit.

A sign I have in my home gym as a reminder to the wife and kids says, "STFU...DON'T TALK DURING MY SET. DON'T TALK WHEN I'M RESTING."
Old 01-Nov-06, 03:29 AM   #5
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_welch503

In fact, I'm getting a T-shirt made that says, "UNLESS YOU ARE HOT, FEMALE, AND 10 YEARS YOUNGER...DON'T TALK TO ME." to wear when I visit.
Brilliant have to get one of them, though i would still make them wait till i was finished

Wait 10 years younger would make them 12 think ill leave that bit out !!
Old 01-Nov-06, 03:30 AM   #6
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl
I don't mind if it's a quick, Hi, I'll call you back, but it's annoying when they're sitting on something for a half hour that you want to use just talking on their phone.
no way would i allow that dont care if they are on it as long as its not distracting me but would never let anyone take up equipment.
Old 01-Nov-06, 08:32 AM   #7
Willie5566

a_welch you are crazy! I am not sure if my wife would go for the sign or the shirt. I love the shirt idea though. The only thing I ask of my wife is to flash the lights when she comes into the basement. I always listen to headphones when I work out and it scares the hell out of me when she just seemingly appears in front of me.

No offense lift girl, the girls are the worst. I have seen several of them carry on an entire conversation 10-20 minutes while on some cardio equipment. The guys do seem to keep it short, but I see them text messaging a lot.

Fortunantly, none of this keeps me from my workout. There is enough equipment to go around. I just think you lose some of the workout if you do this.
Old 01-Nov-06, 10:07 AM   #8
ebon00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566
I'm 31 and I think it is ridiculous that people are on their cell phones at the gym. Am I crazy for this?
Not by a long shot. I noticed this just the other day. A really fat guy was sitting on a bench and he obviously was using the dumbell he had as a rest from his cellphone yapping rather than the other way around. I went through 8 sets of deadlifts alternated with Hammer Strength shoulder presses and 5 supersets of dips/pullups and in that time I saw him do a grand total of 3 "sets" of concentration curls... He did get a lot of talking doen though. Why even bother coming to the gym?
ebon00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Nov-06, 10:56 AM   #9
Willie5566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebon00
Not by a long shot. I noticed this just the other day. A really fat guy was sitting on a bench and he obviously was using the dumbell he had as a rest from his cellphone yapping rather than the other way around. I went through 8 sets of deadlifts alternated with Hammer Strength shoulder presses and 5 supersets of dips/pullups and in that time I saw him do a grand total of 3 "sets" of concentration curls... He did get a lot of talking doen though. Why even bother coming to the gym?
That's ridiculous!

Why are some of the words on this thread getting turned into a link?
Old 01-Nov-06, 11:47 AM   #10
.V.

It's called hyperlinking. You need to run an AV and spyware scan, HD's need a good cleaning every now and then.
Old 01-Nov-06, 05:04 PM   #11
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebon00
Why even bother coming to the gym?
So they can say they did.
Old 01-Nov-06, 05:04 PM   #12
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxgain
no way would i allow that dont care if they are on it as long as its not distracting me but would never let anyone take up equipment.
What am I gonna do? Beat them up?
Old 02-Nov-06, 07:51 AM   #13
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl
What am I gonna do? Beat them up?
a swift kick to the gonads should do it.
Seriously though just say "do you mind if i get in there..." 99% of the time they will be embarssed and move out of the way. If not either verbally lash out at them or just tell someone working there. Most gyms have an unenforced ban on mobiles anyway.

I will give them 2-3 minutes but that is it. I couldnt care what an idiot like that thinks if they are interfering with my workout
Old 02-Nov-06, 07:52 AM   #14
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_welch503
It's called hyperlinking. You need to run an AV and spyware scan, HD's need a good cleaning every now and then.
i think he just means the google ads built into the site for certain terms
Old 02-Nov-06, 02:47 PM   #15
Todd
Roll'n On 28's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566
On Thursdays I go to the rec center and I am noticiting an annoying phenomena of people talking on their cell phones while working out, and I think it is ridiculous that people are on their cell phones at the gym. Am I crazy for this?
Nope, I find the same thing happening at my gym. These wannabees are always talkin on their cell phones...they do a half-assed set then either their phone rings or they call someone. They must think they're the sh!t or something, who knows. All I do know is that it's these same individuals who look the same 6 months down the road.

As long as they are not disturbing my own workout, I could care less if they waste their own time and effort in obtaining zero gains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concentration curls, half hour, hammer str, shoulder press, wait till