Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 30-Dec-06, 10:41 PM   #46
LINDA

Hey Andy you are too kind. I haven't signed up yet. I will after my birthday (I jumped the gun on my avatar tag line) I am kind of liking this non-DOMS kind of training but like I said before it is ripping up my joints. I'm trying to get psyched about getting stupid sore again. The yoga helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Dec-06, 10:45 PM   #47
.V.

For my joints, I just watch the form and take my glucosamine. It works for me, doesn't work for others. Since it's cheap, it's worth a shot and supposedly good for joint health, not just joint pain relief. Takes about 2 weeks to feel it for most folks though.

I don't know much about yoga, just a couple of poses that the old lady taught me that help me with my back and hips...keeping them all in line. Back in the day when she owned a gym she was the aerobics, karate, and yoga teacher. Finally, I'm getting something back after 15 years of servitude.
Old 30-Dec-06, 11:20 PM   #48
LINDA

I've been taking glucosamine for a few years now. What I am feeling is beyond that, but it doesn't linger past 2 days or so. I just have to watch the tendonitis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30-Dec-06, 11:25 PM   #49
.V.

Then I guess the yoga is it. Those oddball positions do somehow seem to help the joints. I'll be damned if I can figure out why, but they do.
Old 31-Dec-06, 08:41 AM   #50
pierini
Banned

Hi Brat,

Anaerobic training begins at that point during exercise when the metabolism supposedly switches from an aerobic to an anaerobic state, when the body's demand for oxygen exceeds its ability to produce it.

Aerobic is defined as in the presence of oxygen, meaning that sufficient oxygen is delivered by the cardiovascular system to maintain a steady state of energy production through the breakdown of glycogen. Running at 65-80% of my MHR is my defined aerobic training zone.

Anaerobic is defined as without oxygen, meaning that exercise is so intense that the cardiovascular system cannot provide sufficient oxygen for efficient energy production. Running at 80-90% of my MHR is my defined anaerobic training zone.

In reality, there exists a continuuim between aerobic and anaerobic activity.

Red line training (a.ka. entering the "Pukie" zone) begins, for me, after running for an extended time period at 90% or above of my my maximum HR. Due to the cumulative impact of a constant effort, my maximum HR continues to rise so if I sprint after being there, my HR will approach its MHR. There's some unique point at this level of intensity that our friend "Pukie" stops by to pay us a visit.

I thought you might have been running in the anerobic zone and hence my comments. Maybe you were not. It doesn't matter as it's all good, but I believe that superfitness and CV improvement both happen best with anaerobic training. Pedal to the metal training is the real deal.
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-06, 02:32 PM   #51
Rufiedodg

Itís hard to argue the benefits of intense interval training. There is however an obvious difference in each individuals level of excitement, and commitment toward doing them.

Competition, hear rate monitors, and equipment are just part of what some people need to stay motivated in doing them, especially as we progress.

As we progress, the _more_ important feedback becomes, whether by machine, or people (competition). As Iíve said before, the best thing about a rowing machine is its monitorís ability to provide instant feedback (speed or watts per stroke). Same thing can be said about a treadmill. Knowing exactly how fast your going (in MPH, or minutes per mile) plays huge in motivation.

And there is nothing quite like the _high_ of completing what was planned. But by the same token, nothing like the _low_ of failing. Success plays huge toward motivation.

We need to plan or progress carefully.

I did some rowing intervals today, and although they were pathetic (compared to a year ago), I love them so much I canít wait until the next session!

Anyway, Iím rambling.

Happy New Year Brat

I always enjoy reading your posts

Dan
Rufiedodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-06, 02:39 PM   #52
LINDA

I almost wish I had chosen different parents considering the way I loathe even thinking about training my heart just to avoid a heart attack!

CV training is a pain in the ass. I hate the way it makes me small and straighter. I do not have the bodytype that requires constant cardio training to stay lean. What many people find as a benefit (weight loss), I find as a deterent to my interest in it. Everyday I ask myself "do you want to suffer heart surgery" or "would you rather keep experimenting to find the right mix of cardio training intensity and eating so as to overcome your weak-ass heart?"

Last edited by LINDA; 31-Dec-06 at 02:45 PM.
Old 31-Dec-06, 03:08 PM   #53
LINDA

This what I did today did one round only.
(My Jan/05 circuit that I did after 20 weeks of consistent workouts)

23 °F Overcast
Relative humidity : 79%
Wind : 24 km/h E

The roads are covered with snow rutts, like running in wet sand, but slipperier

Warm up with10 minutes of brisk dog walk

1. Run 400 metres - done outside
2. Do 5 chin-ups (sub 20lb BB rows) - did 15reps
3. Complete 36 ab crunches - done
4. Perform 15 squat thrusts with jumps (burpees) - did 10
5. Do 15 press-ups (pushups) - did 10
6. Complete 30 body-weight squats (fast) - did 20

7. Run 400 metres again - done outside
8. Do 12 squat and dumbbell presses (with 3lb dumbbells) -done
9. Complete 10 feet-elevated press-ups - done
10. Perform 36 low-back extensions - did 17 on gymball
11. Do 15 bench dips (triceps) - done
12. Complete 15 lunges with each leg -done
13. Run 400 metres - done

Cool down with about 5 minutes of walking outside. I got to catch the community fireworks since I run in a circular path. The park where they are set off is 2 doors from my house. Lotts of people were out shouting and cheering tonight.

Last edited by LINDA; 31-Dec-06 at 09:41 PM.
Old 31-Dec-06, 03:17 PM   #54
Rufiedodg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
I almost wish I had chosen different parents considering the way I loathe even thinking about training my heart just to avoid a heart attack!

CV training is a pain in the ass. I hate the way it makes me small and straighter. I do not have the bodytype that requires constant cardio training to stay lean. What many people find as a benefit (weight loss), I find as a deterent to my interest in it. Everyday I ask myself "do you want to suffer heart surgery" or "would you rather keep experimenting to find the right mix of cardio training intensity and eating so as to overcome your weak-ass heart?"
Here is a snippet CB did on Dave Draper some time ago that I think you will find interesting. Proof that there is more than one way to get something accomplished. In the event you are interested in the whole article you can find it here. Dave Draper - book

Iíve said before that _Health _ as a motivator has trouble enduring over the long haul. And know that Mr. P, and myself have issues with extra BF. What most people donít know is that even CB has issues with BF. He obviously has as good of handle on it as anyone. ( I have a pic of him in his 30ís and looks to be between 15-20%)
Maybe your answer is as simple as a quicker weightlifting routine.

Thumbs Down on Aerobics

Dave isnít big on aerobics. Physical fitness, he says, is "vitally important" and admits to engaging in some intense cardio from time to time. He doesnít necessarily discourage aerobics, but says it is "over-rated, over-consumed and over-worshiped." His bottom line: "The Ďironí is better, thatís all... honest."
When you consider that he trains hard, two hours a day, five days a week, itís easy to see where heís coming from. He simply doesnít have time or energy for aerobics. Judging from his photos, he sure doesnít need the fat loss benefits of aerobics. I donít know about his coronary arteries, but someone who can train at a fast pace for two hours probably has a fairly decent ticker. Plus, he confesses, "I love barbells." Finally, turning scientific, he says, "Excessive aerobics causes your body to shift its chemistry, calling on muscle protein to provide energy."
I would phrase it differently and get there by a different route, but I find a lot of truth in what Dave says about aerobics. In short, donít overdo long slow aerobics -- unless you want to look more like a marathoner than a bodybuilder. As Dave suggests, itís for each individual to decide whatís best for him or her. It depends on your unique physiology, your goals and what turns you on. Again, Dave is not being dogmatic. Heís just offering his opinion for your consideration, and doing it in a classy way. I like that.

Dan
Rufiedodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-06, 04:07 PM   #55
LINDA

My brother had a wake-up call heart attack at age 52. My paternal grandmother died of a heart attack at age 55. My father had bipass surgery 2 years ago as a preventative measure. My mother had an angioplasty last year and takes regular trips to the hospital by ambulance for observation while she is having small heart attacks.

I don't feel I have a choice.

To me it's like eating vegetables or crusts on the bread. Trying to "sell it too hard" makes it taste even less appealing. I didn't exactly like changing my kids diapers either but I had to if I wanted them.

BTW - I saw Dave Draper live onstage during "his worst" days. I understand he's over that god bless him, but he is not infallable either.

PS- I thought Clarence was much sexier at a higher bodyfat % although he did not come across as the fitness guru he is now.

Last edited by LINDA; 31-Dec-06 at 09:43 PM.
Old 31-Dec-06, 09:42 PM   #56
LINDA

I edited in today's workout above. Tomorrow is a rest day.

Happpy new year everyone. I look forward to another year of training with you!

Last edited by LINDA; 31-Dec-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 31-Dec-06, 09:56 PM   #57
pierini
Banned

Hi Brat, Happy New Year and best wishes for your good health and fortune in 2007. It sounds like it is going to be a year of big changes for you.

Nice to have a cyberspace fitness partner like you. You are fun. Wonder what you were like in high school?
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-06, 10:09 PM   #58
LINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierini
Wonder what you were like in high school?
A total little poutty and nerdy brat! (@ age 16 or 17)

Last edited by LINDA; 27-Jan-07 at 04:05 AM.
Old 31-Dec-06, 10:17 PM   #59
gymgirl
Site Moderator

awwwwwwwww. what a cute picture brat! you look like you were full of attitude(weren't we all at 16 or 17?)!

p.s. dang your hair is pretty!

happy new year brat!

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."ópierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-06, 10:31 PM   #60
LINDA

Aw thanks gymgirl! I wish I had known you back then. I was never satisfied about anything! I'd kill for pre-baby-homone-hair-colour-change hair now. Instead I wear the results of some chemist's hard work to reinvent what young hair should look like and the artist's brush held by the master himself... Scott, my hairdresser.

Tags
aerobic activity, aerobic training, arm curl, assisted dip, balanced meal, ball crunches, bell press, bench dip, bench dips, bench press, body fat, body shape, body weight, body workout, bodyfat level, bodyfat levels, box jumps, brisk walk, brussel sprouts, brussels sprouts, cable row, calf raise, cardio training, chest press, compound exercise, crossfit wod, deep breath, deep squat, dumbbell press, dumbbell presses, dynamic visualized, dynamic visualized resistance, english muffin, fast food, fat level, fat levels, fat loss, fat stores, fitness program, food journal, gain weight, gym membership, gym tonight, hammer curl, health benefits, heart attacks, heart disease, heart rate, heavy weights, high intensity, higher weight, higher weights, hot water, hour nap, hours sleep, interval training, joint pain, lat raise, lateral raise, leg curl, leg press, leg routine, leg workout, lifting routine, lifting weights, light weight, local gym, loose fat, max hr, maximum hr, maximum tension, merry christmas, military press, morning weight, muscle tissue, online journal, overall health, paying attention, personal training, physical fitness, plank hold, protein foods, protein shake, quality food, rate monitor, red wine, resistance training, running intervals, running outside, running workout, saturated fat, seated calf raise, shoulder press, slow pace, squat thrusts, stability ball, stair climbing, standing db, stay lean, stay motivated, steady state, still working, straight arm, strength train, strength training, term goal, term goals, training plan, training program, training programs, training sessions, upper body, upper body workout, visualized resistance, walking lunge, walking lunges, water bottle, weight gain, weight lift, weight lifting, weight loss, weight squats, weight training, wrist curls