Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 10-Jan-07, 03:25 AM   #16
minime
I need a title!

oh wait, i didnt lose it... strange. hmm ok... thats a relief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-07, 08:33 AM   #17
minime
I need a title!

My legs are quite sore. I was planning to hit the track tonight to work on my Marine Test Training but I am not sure how efficient a workout I will achieve with the leg DOMS. However, I may still try as I am loathe to spend time doing gym type cardio due to the huge crowds at this time of year.

Pierini - thanks for the training guide! I had a look at it and it looks good. Soon I will try the static hangs and time myself: maybe tonight. Also I wish to start on the situp training, I will start out tonight by doing 80 situps (full marks if i recall correctly) and timing myself.

When you used the pullup part of the training guide, how much did you improve over the period? It claims that most can do 20 pullups after 6-8 weeks which seems like it would be a fantastic result! its not much good for me really i guess since my max reps of pullup are zero. I was thinking though that I could share it with my boyfriend who is struggling to increase his pullups. I think he is stuck at about 8.

oh and one more question: do you think that doing 3x max sets of pushups each morning would help me (as the training guide suggests)? I am a bit scared of overtraining especially pertaining to upper body as I do not want to aggravate my shoulder (it feels fine now). So is doing pushups/pullups everyday on top of my other workouts ok in your opinion?

My max reps for pushups right now is probably 8! I used to be able to do 20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-Jan-07, 07:43 PM   #18
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime
when i went to the gym there was one guy wearing a shirt with cutout peices for his abs LOL
OMG, how did you not laugh? who would think that wearing a shirt like that to the gym is a good idea? lol

anyway...HI minime! happy new year! glad you had fun in the US and yipeee glad you are moving here. i'm telling the boyfriend that our next vacation is going to be to NYC since i have never been. then i'll tell him we need to swing by boston so you and i can hit up the gym together, then some shopping at H&M!

your 2007 plan looks great! 5x5 days do seem long but short, if that makes any sense huh? you did great on that leg workout! i'm going to have to re-read your first page again after i am more rested, but i just wanted to stop in say hi and check in on what you have been up to! doing great as always!

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-07, 06:01 AM   #19
minime
I need a title!

hey gymgirl welcome back! Yeah I know it was so funny! BF says that he has seen guys working out with actual 'belly' tops on, ie they just cut the ends off their tshirts to make a 'half top' I guess they feel it is unfair that girls can show their abs to the world so they should be able to too. But really, it just looks so stupid!

Ooh that would be great! and if i feel like I am missing the irish weather BF and I can just head up to seattle to visit you, and have some rain too LOL

I know what u mean about 5x5 its like i finish a set and think :wow that was nice and short! but then, oh NO another four to go! Im going to stick with it for a few weeks anyway.

ok, so now my workout:

I had a poor showing at the track last night, and was very disappointed in myself.

800m jog to warmup

1x800 3:27:84
1x400 1:32:33
2x200 40:04 , 39:87
4x100 16:77 , 16:46 , 16:45 , 16.76

I jogged/walked to rest between runs.

time: 40:42
av HR: 137
max HR: 220*

*i sincerely hope this is a false reading: I looked at the watch at the end of a 100m sprint and it was 180bpm which seemed about right to me.

I had planned on 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 as the training guide suggested, but i just couldnt face the long runs. I don't know what is wrong with me why is 800m on a track an eternity but fine on a treadmill? The was a very strong wind too last night so after two whole track runs, i decided to stop and only run with the wind. Excuses Excuses...

In gym:

3x chin bar hold 34 , 26 , 27 seconds

situps 32 in 2:00

ok i have a LOT of work to do! I planned to do 100 situps for time, but i was so tired it may have taken me twenty minutes. Also situps where you touch your shoulder blades off the floor each time are hard, i used to not quite touch the floor before.

Old 11-Jan-07, 06:03 AM   #20
minime
I need a title!

sorry double post

Old 11-Jan-07, 06:39 AM   #21
Maxgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgirl
OMG, how did you not laugh? who would think that wearing a shirt like that to the gym is a good idea? lol
Next time I go to the gym Im wearing a top similar to your avator. Equal rights is what I say!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-Jan-07, 07:04 AM   #22
pierini
Banned

Hi minime,

I used the Armstrong pullup training program 2 years ago and was able to increase my single set reps from 13 to 18. I never made it to 20 reps and I'm still trying (off and on). Interesting is that I recently have been banging out 18 reps after not having been able to do that many since February 2005.

The Armstrong program is very demanding and will give someone elbow tendonitis if they don't ease into it. I believe I will have more success, this time, in hitting my elusive 20 rep set by performing single sets of max rep efforts, once in the morning and once in the evening. And if I don't get my 20 reps this year I'll be OK with that because there is always next year and I'm having fun trying.

3 sets of max effort pushups in the morning is a bit much for someone who has other training to do and I wouldn't recommend it.

If your BF wants my two cents on improving his pullups, tell him to send me a PM describing his current training program and I'll offer some suggestions. 8 reps is very good as most guys can't do more than 3-4 reps.

Use the training guide as a guide to supplement your own judgment. Don't be a slave to the guide as you can easily overtrain.

Last edited by pierini; 11-Jan-07 at 11:46 AM.
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-07, 07:40 AM   #23
Lady C
"I know squat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime
I know what u mean about 5x5 its like i finish a set and think :wow that was nice and short! but then, oh NO another four to go! Im going to stick with it for a few weeks anyway.
Good Job MM. Keep it up.: It may seem too short but muscle building does not have to feel like you just did a Xfit workout to be effective. I hope you took some measurements or pictures so in 8 weeks you can see, feel or measure the difference.

Pull-ups are harder for women than men. Men have more upper body strength which helps tremendously. I still can only to 2. When I can do multiple sets of say five I will be ecstatic.

Last edited by Lady C; 11-Jan-07 at 07:43 AM.
Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-07, 08:22 AM   #24
minime
I need a title!

maxgain : i suspect if you did that in Ireland you would not get away without a serious mocking and/or getting beaten up In America there are more 'freaks' than you can shake a stick at.. so nobody bats an eyelid when they see a guy in a half-top/neon headband/bandana wrapped around their leg (?) etc.

thanks for the tips pierini : i suspected as much. I think I am just going to stick to the over-the-bar hold attempts 1-2x per week, and chinup attemps most days I am at the gym. I will tell BF that you said that: I am trying to get him to join up and start posting here anyway.

Lady C thank you for the encouragement. It still took me about 40 minutes to complete the three exercises in my 5x5, so though at times it seemed short it actually was quite long. I could cut this time by shortening rest times, but i like to rest a minute or two between sets, and a couple of minutes between exercises also.

As for the pullups, I will be ecstatic when I do one! For now I will stick to the chinups, until I can do a pullup. Yes men have a lot of upper body strength but then us girls can do quite well on the lower body stuff! I can outlift my boyfriend when it comes to squats and deadlifts (lb for lb), but I dont stand a chance when it comes to upper body stuff.

Old 11-Jan-07, 08:25 AM   #25
minime
I need a title!

I walked to the store at lunch time and when I was there i began to feel bad: nauseous, a little faint, cold sweats.. What does this mean? I ate an odwalla bar two hours before this, but could it still be a blood sugar thing?

I did not want to eat but I had an apple and a chicken sandwich and now i feel fine again.

Anybody have any views on this? gymgirl, I know you have blood sugar issues: is this how you feel when your blood sugar drops?

Old 11-Jan-07, 08:41 AM   #26
gymgirl
Site Moderator

hey minime...yep most of those symptoms are what i experience when my bloodsugar drops...i don't feel nausous though. but to be honest those symptoms are exactly how i feel when i am having a minor panic/anxiety attack...then i also feel as though i can't breathe!

since you felt better after eating the apple and sandwhich, maybe it was a blood sugar thing. oh i also get really jittery too, and the bloodsugar can drop like that even when i don't feel 'hungry'. glad you are feeling better now!

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
Old 11-Jan-07, 11:41 AM   #27
tim_mcf

Quote:
more 'freaks' than you can shake a stick at

lol

—Philippians 4:13
tim_mcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-07, 11:53 AM   #28
pierini
Banned

Hi minime,

I missed your training post when I was responding to the questions you asked about the training program.

I think your workout was just fine. You are still fresh from coming off of vacation. Read my lips: you are only as good as your last workout. You'll need another week or so to get back to where you were before you went on vacation.

The holds were good. Use your performance as a measuring base for future efforts.

The track workout was good. You did it. I know that lonely feeling on 800 meter runs. You hung in there, made some minor modifications and still got a decent track workout in. I'd take what you did 24/7.

The situps are very hard to do last like you did. Be prepared for some hip flexor DOMS and possible some ab DOMS as the situps hit the abs slighly different from what you may be used to with the other ab work you do.

It's all good! Have a great day!
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-07, 10:53 PM   #29
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxgain
Next time I go to the gym Im wearing a top similar to your avator. Equal rights is what I say!!!!!!!!!!
lol, I'd pay $ to see that maxgain!

minime, i think you are really going to enjoy the 5x5 program. I too had done some reading before my trainer put me on the current program, but I have to say my 5x5 days are my favorite! your goals look great! this should be a fun year, you should definitely take some before and after pics!

p.s. you and your b/f are welcome anytime in seattle! i doubt you will be missing the Ireland rain though! you know what would be the best? meet in LA and we can go hang out at the celeb hotsopts for some sightings! : Last time i went to visit my friend in LA we saw Kevin Smith and Kevin Costner, (a weekend of Kevin's) we actually got a smile and a wink from Kevin Costner...lol

Old 12-Jan-07, 06:32 AM   #30
minime
I need a title!

Pierini: thank you for the nice words. I know I have a tendency to be too hard on myself. Oh, my tummy was sore yesterday and still today! I like it: I get DOMS in my abs very rarely, and mainly it was lower, sides (i guess this is the hip flexor?)

I feel like I take the easy way out often on the track: I find the long runs so hard I often 'wimp' out and take it back to 200/100 sprints. I like sprinting as it 'feels right' When I have a 400 or an 800 ahead of me, I have difficulty pacing myself and it all feels very messy. Its easier on a treadmill: i just put it at a certain speed and run at a steady pace!

When you run the 400, do u do it on your toes like sprinting?

Thanks gymgirl: I wonder if it was a bloodsugar thing. How often do you have these incidents?

Yes, i would love to visit LA! down there we might be considered 'fatties' LOL!

OK the workout was not so good last night: my shoulder wasnt feeling so good after two exercises so I cut it short. Good thing I did the best ones first I guess.

5x5 day 2: upper body (weight in kgs/assist for pullups)

Bench 20, 30, 30, 25, 25
Pullups 12, 12, 12, 12, 14.5

chinups: 3 singles

Legs were so sore I didnt feel like running, so I just left.. I felt so lazy

Food 2032 35/41/24

Tags
added weight, animal protein, arm row, artificial sweeteners, assisted dip, assisted pull, assisted pullups, atlas pushups, average hr, awesome workout, baked beans, baked potato, baked potatoes, ball shots, batman pushups, beach diet, behind head, behind neck, belly button, bench dip, bench dips, bench press, bench presses, bicep curl, blades together, blood sugar, body builder, body fat, body strength, body weight, body workout, box jumps, brisk walk, brisk walking, brown bread, brown sugar, brussel sprouts, brussels sprouts, build muscle, building mass, business decision, calf press, calf raise, calorie count, calorie restriction, calories coming, calories worth, candy bar, cardio training, cheat meal, cheat meals, cheddar cheese, cherry pickers, chest exercise, chicken breast, chicken breasts, chicken sandwich, chinese food, chocolate whey, clean eating, clean food, cold turkey, count cherry, crossfit wod, curl machine, cut calories, dark chocolate, decline bench, decline crunch, deep fried, deep squat, diet coke, diet plan, digital camera, distance runner, distance running, dried fruit, dynamic visualized, dynamic visualized resistance, early morning, eat fish, eat low, eat meat, eating clean, eating meat, eating properly, egg yolks, elliptical machine, elliptical trainer, energy level, energy levels, excess calories, extension machine, extra cardio, extra fat, extra lean, extra weight, fall asleep, farmers walk, fat diets, felt heavy, felt strong, fitness test, five rounds, flat barbell, flat bench, fly machine, food choices, food log, food store, food stores, french fries, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, fried chicken, frozen strawberries, gain weight, gained weight, gaining weight, geared towards, glute ham, google search, granola bars, green pepper, green salad, grip bench, grip bench press, grip pull, grip pullup, grip pullups, grip strength, grocery shopping, grocery stores, gym membership, gym tonight, hammer str, handstand hold, hang cleans, hang power, hang power clean, hang squat, hanging knee, hanging leg, hanging leg raise, hanging leg raises, head press, health food, health food store, heart rate, heavy bag, high carb, high fat, high fiber, high protein, high protein diet, high pull, higher protein, higher rep, higher weight, highest hr, hip flexor, hip flexors, hour nap, ice cream, inch box, incline bench, increased weight, inner thigh, inner thighs, intense exercise, intense workout, interval training, interval workout, jump rope, jumping pull, jumping pullups, kettlebell swings, kipping pull, knee pain, knee raises, knee wraps, lean forward, lean weight, leaning forward, left leg, left shoulder, leg curl, leg dead, leg deadlift, leg lift, leg lifts, leg press, leg press machine, leg squats, leg strength, leg workout, legs straight, lift weights, lifting heavier, lifting session, light jog, light mayo, light pole, light weight, locker room, losing weight, lost muscle, low body, low cal, low calorie, low calories, low carb, low fat, low sodium, lower body workout, lower fat, lower split, lower weight, lying leg curl, maintenance calories, maple syrup, max hr, max squat, max weight, maximum effort, maximum hr, merry christmas, meter walk, mile bike, mile jog, mile timed, military press, mixed nuts, moderate pace, morning weight, morning workout, muscle building, muscle development, muscle fatigue, muscle mass, muscle memory, muscle soreness, natural peanut butter, nonfat yogurt, nutritional info, nutritional information, oat bran, oly lifts, olympic lifting, overhand grip, overhead press, overhead pressing, overhead squat, parallel squat, personal trainer, physical fitness, physical therapy, plain yogurt, plank hold, pork chops, potato chips, pound ball, pound bar, pound deadlift, pound dumbbell, pound dumbells, pound gain, pound plate, power cleans, pre workout, proper form, proper nutrition, protein bar, protein diets, protein intake, protein powder, protein source, pullup bar, push jerk, push press, quick workout, raisin bran, reduced fat, regular bench, regular deadlift, regular deadlifts, regular pushups, regular squats, renegade rows, resting heart, resting heart rate, romaine lettuce, romanian deadlift, rope climb, running outside, running workout, salad dressing, samson stretch, scale weight, seated calf raise, seated shoulder, seated shoulder press, serious weight, short workout, shoulder blades, shoulder blades together, shoulder dislocates, shoulder exercises, shoulder pain, shoulder press, shoulder workout, skim milk, skinless chicken, skinless chicken breast, slow digesting, slow pace, slow process, smith machine, sounds weird, south beach, south beach diet, specific training, split jerk, squat clean, squat cleans, squat form, squat rack, stair climbing, standard grip pull, standard grip pullup, standard grip pullups, standing calf raise, static hold, stiff leg, stiff leg deadlift, still hungry, still hurts, still sore, still working, stop eating, straight bar, strength gain, strength gains, sumo deadlift, sumo deadlifts, sunflower seeds, super heavy, sweet potatoe, swiss ball, term effects, three rounds, tomato sauce, tommy kono, tough workout, trader joe, trader joes, trail mix, training partner, training plan, training program, training schedule, training style, turkey bacon, underhand grip, upper body, upper body strength, upper body workout, video clip, visualized resistance, walking lunge, walking lunges, wall ball shots, wall sit, wall sits, warmup cfwu, watching tv, water retention, weight bench, weight class, weight gain, weight training, weighted decline, weighted pullups, weighted walk, wheat bread, whey protein, whipped cream, wide grip, wide grip pull, wide grip pullups, wide stance, wider grip, woo hoo, workout tonight, yates row, yoke walk, zone diet