Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > General Fitness

General Fitness CardioVascular exercises, warming up, swimming, yoga, pilates, etc.

Old 30-May-07, 10:54 AM   #16
pierini
Banned

Hi Maxgain,

I think 1:32 for the 400 meters is great and thanks a million for posting. Try the other distances: 100 meters, 200 meters, 800 meters, just make sure you are careful when doing the 100 meters as many a hamstring has been pulled trying to go all out.

Alot of patience is required for the 400 meters. Take off like a bat out of hell and you're certain to fade big time on the second turn.
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-May-07, 04:05 PM   #17
Maxgain

Thanks Pierini

This weekend is a bank holiday so once the weather alllows it ill post times for the other distances.
Old 30-May-07, 04:20 PM   #18
pierini
Banned

Sounds like a winner. Just pretend you are running to catch Allison Stokke to ask her for a date. That's a recipe for your PR.
Old 30-May-07, 08:39 PM   #19
minime
I need a title!

Today I walked into boston... 3.4 miles according to Gmap pedometer. On the way out it was a leisurely pace, but on the way back I thought of this thread and walked briskly and timed myself.

3.4 miles in 50 minutes (14.7 minute mile?) I agree pierini, walking fast is tough, i kept forgetting and find myself slowing down accidentally!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-May-07, 08:46 PM   #20
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierini
just make sure you are careful when doing the 100 meters as many a hamstring has been pulled trying to go all out.
I don't know if you saw yesterdays CrossFit WOD, but it was 10 100m sprints for time. I noticed many people stating that they hurt their hamstrings during the 100m. The only events I did in track were the long and tripple jump, so I'm not well versed in the short sprints. Why do people hurt their hamstrings? Lack of warm-up? It scared me and now I don't want to try it.

Great job to everyone who has posted...I too have nothing to add at this point. I ran hard last week, this week just maintaining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-May-07, 08:53 PM   #21
minime
I need a title!

Gymgirl I believe it is just that the nature of the 100 is to go for near max effort, which makes injury more likely.

I'm not too sure though.. so I'm sure pierini will pop in and clear it up for us

Old 30-May-07, 08:58 PM   #22
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Thanks minime, that makes sense. I think I'll skip the 100's and stick with 400m!

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-May-07, 10:50 PM   #23
pierini
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgirl
I don't know if you saw yesterdays CrossFit WOD, but it was 10 100m sprints for time. I noticed many people stating that they hurt their hamstrings during the 100m. . . . Why do people hurt their hamstrings? Lack of warm-up? It scared me and now I don't want to try it.
Sprinting is the most advanced and difficult form of running, so the risk is higher just like other advanced and difficult exercises. Pistols are more advanced and difficult than two-legged squats, so are handstand pushups which are more advanced and difficult than regular pushups, etc., etc., and so are the risks. It doesn't surprise me.

I saw that WOD and am considering it for my Saturday track workout.

Great job minime. Next time try for a sub 14 minute walk. That really takes some concentration. That pace of walking will get the front of your calves muscles very sore, moreso than running. I once walked 5 miles in 55 minutes and I was sore for at least one week.
Old 31-May-07, 08:59 AM   #24
minime
I need a title!

oh yes i was getting pain in my shins!

Old 01-Jun-07, 06:49 PM   #25
Eric_B

Treadmill
3.0 miles
22:05

Previous best: 23:30
Current Bodyweight: 158 lbs.
Eric_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Jun-07, 08:08 AM   #26
pierini
Banned

Congrats again Eric.

It is so much easier to run the 3 mile faster on the treadmill because of the managed pace management.

Next time you give it a go (on a feeling-good day of course), warm up for 400 meters at 8.0 or 8.5 mph. Then for the 3-mile, start off at 7.5 or 8.0 mph for the first 800 meters and increase the speed by 0.3 mph every 800 meters and hang on for dear life for the last mile, playing mental games to help you cope. Stand tall and engage your arms in a rythmic pumping motion, keeping your elbows close to your sides, to engage your whole body in the run.
Old 04-Jun-07, 03:29 PM   #27
Maxgain

Well I forced myself to do some running despite my terrible mood today and the rain.

Thinks were summed up when I was tired from the warm up and started getting shin splints with shaky knees and could not get my stop watch tp reset.
Anyway something to work on

100m 16 seconds
200m 33 seconds.

Need to work on stability of core and knees/ hamstrings and lung capacity still.

Even imagining chasing after Allison Stokke just irritated me
Old 04-Jun-07, 03:34 PM   #28
pierini
Banned

Keep up the good work Maxgain, those are decent times for someone who doesn't regular run. And not all runners are good sprinters, like me.

Did you find a breakdown in your form on the 200 meters during the last 30-50 meters? Pace management is just as important for the shorter sprint distances as it is for a 5k run.

Keep the pedal to the metal! And remember to properly warmup and be careful with those shorter distance sprints to guard against a hamstring injury. And do stretch after your workout is finished.
Old 05-Jun-07, 09:24 AM   #29
minime
I need a title!

those are great times maxgain : i dont think i ever managed to get a 200 in 33 seconds! nice work!

Old 09-Jun-07, 07:00 AM   #30
Firehawk
PowerLifter

Send a message via Yahoo to Firehawk
I ran a mile in 8:44 today. I believe that's about 25 seconds better than last try and also I hit my goal of wanting to get under 9 minutes. I gave it everything I had today. Then after the mile i jogged on and off for another 3.5 miles, feeling like I was flying today. Was 250 on the scale today.

Thinking about the past, in 9th grade, last week of gym, my best time was 10:35 and I was completely gassed, ready for an oxygen tank, at that time, and first week of gym that year my best time was 12:30. And neither of those miles I could run the entire time either.

Next goal I'm working to get under 8:30.

Last edited by Firehawk; 09-Jun-07 at 07:03 AM.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body guessing, crossfit wod, fat loss, heart rate, holy sh, ice cream, interval training, interval workout, leg lift, legged squats, lung capacity, max weight, maximum effort, meter recovery, mile bike, mile timed, power cleans, power lifting, push press, regular pushups, resting heart, resting heart rate, running intervals, running shoes, running workout, shin splints, strength train, strength training, twitch muscle, weight training, yard dash