Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Female Fitness

Female Fitness Forum specifically for women to learn and share advice.

Old 21-Oct-07, 12:20 PM   #1
shaunna

New to this

Hi, i work out every other day on circuit machines at the gym and walk daily for 50 minutes, will this tone me up ans help me drop some pounds?
shaunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Oct-07, 12:42 PM   #2
.V.

If your nutrition is in check, then yes it will. Tell more about yourself, your stats, your goals, and what you do and we can be of more help to you.

And welcome to DF. Always glad to have new people join us. Take some time to read the forum, pay attention to the stickies, and if you'd like you can start an online training journal and share what you do with us. That is an excellent way to get good feedback and guidance when it is needed.
Old 21-Oct-07, 04:16 PM   #3
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
Welcome to DF I'd say you're off to a good start, and like V said as long as you're eating properly you should be able to get where you want to be
Old 22-Oct-07, 01:03 PM   #4
shaunna

Hi .V. & everyone, I'm a 34 female...170 lbs 8 years a go i was 112lbs then i was walking daily and only eating supper. Now im working out every other day with pully curcuit machines and i use some free weights for my arms nothing to much, i also walk 50 minutes daily. For breakfast i have 1/2- 1 cup of plain oatmeal, decaf coffee all morning then around 1:00 i have 1 cup of broccoli and i chicken breast, i have some water or crystal light with that... for supper around 5:30 fish or chicken with some green veggy or salad with spritzer italian dressing , some water or crystal light to drink
Old 22-Oct-07, 01:30 PM   #5
Doc2029
Play the game!

Send a message via AIM to Doc2029 Send a message via Yahoo to Doc2029
You are not eating enough this in the long run will slow down your chance of making gains. Your body works kind of like this the more you give it the more it will use. The less the more it holds on to. Also increase you water intake. Try eating breakfast, about 3 hours later eat again. then lunch then eat again , then dinner, then one more time. Spread your calories out as even as possible, over these meals, try to spread you breakdown of carbs, fat and protein over these meals as evenly as possible as well.
Old 23-Oct-07, 09:56 AM   #6
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunna View Post
Hi .V. & everyone, I'm a 34 female...170 lbs 8 years a go i was 112lbs then i was walking daily and only eating supper. Now im working out every other day with pully curcuit machines and i use some free weights for my arms nothing to much, i also walk 50 minutes daily. For breakfast i have 1/2- 1 cup of plain oatmeal, decaf coffee all morning then around 1:00 i have 1 cup of broccoli and i chicken breast, i have some water or crystal light with that... for supper around 5:30 fish or chicken with some green veggy or salad with spritzer italian dressing , some water or crystal light to drink
You may not be getting enough healthy fats. Fats are essential for helping make us feel full and helping to absorb certain vitamins that can only be absorbed with fat.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Oct-07, 07:29 PM   #7
shaunna

Thanks everyone for the reply....I will try to eat some more, im also doing free weights after each work out....
Old 24-Oct-07, 09:41 PM   #8
minime
I need a title!

Hi shauna, welcome to df!

I think you may not be eating enough. Do you eat like this every day? How about at the weekend?

I suggest you set up an online food journal, such as FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal and plug in absolutely everything that passes your lips for a whole week. Analyzing this data will be helpful for you. It maybe that you are actually drastically undereating, but often times people underestimate their food consumption, or forget to count little things. And if you eat large amounts say at the weekend, with alcoholic beverages perhaps, this could affect you.

Anyway welcome, you should think of setting up a journal in the online journal section. You can post your workouts in more detail, along with your diet and people can come and give you advice and encouragement

good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Nov-07, 08:32 PM   #9
shaunna

Hi everyone thanks for your reply...Looks like I really do need to change this diet around and eat more...because its been 8 weeks and all i lost was 9 1/2 lbs and 2 1/2 inches....grrrr ..i guess i learned the hard way LOL...
Old 05-Nov-07, 11:00 PM   #10
sweetdream

Send a message via AIM to sweetdream
Quote:
Hi everyone thanks for your reply...Looks like I really do need to change this diet around and eat more...because its been 8 weeks and all i lost was 9 1/2 lbs and 2 1/2 inches....grrrr ..i guess i learned the hard way LOL...
honestly, I still think that's really good!! so just keep it up and don't get too frustrated..results come slow but it's worth the wait!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sweetdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-07, 07:33 AM   #11
Lady C
"I know squat"

Two things I see from your other post. 1- you are starving yourself. This will only work for so long then the body catches up to it and will retain everything because it thinks you are dying. 2-you are not working out hard enough. What I mean by that is you need to lift heavier weights and run/walk faster. Intensity is the only measure the body can't compensate for.

Start tracking everything you eat -for at least 1 week. I use Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate since it has lots of foods in the database already.

Start tracking your workouts. This is so you can do better than the last one each time. Better might be five minutes longer in your run or one more rep than last time.

After you have done both of these for a couple of weeks then we can evaluate where to go next. It takes time. You didn't go from 112-170 in a few weeks so don't expect to be 112 in a few weeks.

Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-07, 09:35 AM   #12
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
its been 8 weeks and all i lost was 9 1/2 lbs and 2 1/2 inches
That is actually great progress. You should aim to lose no more than 2 lbs per week. Any more than that and you are losing lean mass, which will eventually slow your metabolism to a crawl.

This requires great patience. The progress will be very slow, and you will only succeed if you keep at it.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Nov-07, 11:22 PM   #13
sweetdream

Send a message via AIM to sweetdream
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl View Post

This requires great patience. The progress will be very slow, and you will only succeed if you keep at it.

sweetdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Nov-07, 08:54 AM   #14
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
9/5lbs in 8 weeks is awesome! Nothing wrong with that at all. You could lose a little more like liftgirl said about 2lbs a week at most, bt 9.5lbs is good!
Old 07-Nov-07, 09:02 PM   #15
shaunna

Thanks everyone...i will keep picking away!...

Tags
calorie count, chicken breast, crystal light, diet journal, eating properly, food journal, healthy fat, healthy fats, italian dressing, journal section, lean mass, lift heavier, online journal, plain oatmeal, training journal, weight loss