Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 03-Dec-07, 07:36 PM   #1
pierini
Banned

Pierini's December 2007 Training

Saturday, December 1, 2007
Saturday morning dojo workout.

Sunday, December 2, 2007
Rest day, but I did walk to and from late-afternoon Sunday Mass, about 2 miles at a moderate pace.

Monday, December 3, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 6:05 a.m.

Warmup and wakeup - 2 rounds of: #1 = clean-grip deadlift 45x10 - front squat 45x10 - push press 45x10.

Clean & jerk training - squat clean & split jerks unless otherwise indicated - 95x2 - 115x2 - 135x2 (power clean 1st rep) - 150x2 (power clean 2nd rep) - 165x1 (power clean and failed rep #2) - 165x1 (power clean) - 165x1 (finally did it right) - 165xfail (thinking too much) - 165x1 (power clean only). Crap - this stuff is hard so early in the morning.

Speed push press - 135 for a single power clean then speed push press x 12 (felt pretty good about that).

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 45 minute steady-state cardio workout, completing 8,221 strides (183 strides per minute average) - my average HR was 137bpm (74% of max) and my highest HR was 148bpm (80% of max). Left heel felt good this morning so the rest is good and I will stick to my plan of 30 days rest so it properly heals.

My training journal is current. Have a great day!

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-Dec-07, 10:15 PM   #2
pierini
Banned

Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Worked at a client's location today near my home so I didn't go to my gym. So it was down to my basement at 6:45 a.m. for something quick.

Warmup - shoulder dislocates + overhead squats with light PVC pipe filled with sand x 10 reps.

Bodyweight exercises - 5 rounds of the following: #1 = standard grip pullups x 5 - #2 = deep pushups using handles x 10 - #3 = shoulder dislocates + overhead squat with light PVC pipe x 15. Easy pace taking around 14 minutes to complete.

Then upstairs to the towel rack (Tony Little Gazelle unit) for a 16 minute easy-paced cardio workout, probably at 65% of my maximum HR.

I walked about 20 minutes during lunch, probably 1 mile.

Old 04-Dec-07, 10:32 PM   #3
The Flash

Hey pierini, when I decided to start building my home gym I got a Gazelle by Tony Little for really cheap so I decided it would be my home gym "elliptical" for whenever I wanted to do some cardio other than running, biking, jump rope, etc. How is yours holding up? My Gazelle is still going strong but it makes a ton of noise!
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Dec-07, 08:50 AM   #4
pierini
Banned

Hi Flash and thanks for stopping by.

The Gazelle we have was given to my wife by one of her lady friends, for my wife to use which she has not. It is parked in our bedroom and is a great towel rack.

I actually like it but seldom use it so it is in good condition. It does a great job of stretching out tight hamstrings and is a great low-impact early morning workout when the body is still crying to wake-up.

I put my towel back on it after I used it yesterday morning. I might jump on it again in the next day or two.

Have a great day!
Old 05-Dec-07, 07:31 PM   #5
The Flash

I also use it sparingly as a change of pace cardio workout and it serves its purpose. It feels a little too easy at times but it's pretty fun and feels like you're gliding on air. I also like that it folds up and doesn't take much room.

Take care!
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Dec-07, 11:09 PM   #6
minime
I need a title!

That is funny pierini! Home gym equipment is probably used for that purpose more often than it is for that for which it was made. Any time I have ever seen an elliptical or even a weight bench in somebody's house it had clothing on it... but never an actual person

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-Dec-07, 12:50 AM   #7
pierini
Banned

Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Still working at a client near my home so no gym again today. Was lazy this morning so no basement workout either.

But I did walk about 2 miles at a moderate pace during lunch time to go downtown and pay my property tax bills.

Later in the evening, rather than going down to my basement for a workout, I decided to take a long walk to my downtown bank for a deposit since the evening weather was nice. So I walked a total of 3.5 miles at a brisk pace and made a pit stop at the State Capitol and took the following picture of the Capitol Christmas tree. Governor Arnold was no where to be found.

So a total of 5.5 miles of walking today. Something is better than nothing.

Last edited by pierini; 06-Dec-07 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-Dec-07, 04:10 PM   #8
gymgirl
Site Moderator

beautiful picture pierini, thanks for sharing!

that's a lot of walking, something is definitely better then nothing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-Dec-07, 06:55 PM   #9
pierini
Banned

Thursday, December 6, 2007
Rest day - had to work hard today - sometimes it is necessary.

Friday, December 7, 2007
My 3-year anniversary joining Discuss Fitness so I "celebrated" by taking the day off from work. Trained with my Friday workout partner at his house starting at 12:00 noon.

Warmup - using a light PVC pipe filled with sand and the 45 lb. Oly bar, various drills.

Snatch training - didn't want to do snatch work so did just a little because my training partner wanted to - #1 = hang power snatch: 88x3 - #2 = power snatch from the floor singles: 88-88-88-88-88-88-108-108fail-108.

Clean & jerk training - squat clean & split jerk unless otherwise indicated (note: PC is a power clean) - #1 = squat clean from the floor: 108x3 - #2 = clean & jerk: 108x2 - 132x2 (PC 1st rep) - 152x1 (PC) - 152x1 (PC) - 176xfail - 176x1PR - 181xfail - 181xfail (but got the PC) - 181x1PR (PC) - 181x1 (PC). My malfunctioning brain did not let my body squat under the bar today.

Here is a video of my first 181 completed (excuse the screaming - it was totally unnecessary and I did not repeat it on the second 181 completed):

YouTube - 181 lb. clean & jerk - December 7, 2007

Then I wrapped up the day with a 137 PC followed by speed push press x 10 (wanted more reps but I ran out of gas).

Enjoy your weekend!

p.s. - More Christmas-spirit pictures to follow.
Old 08-Dec-07, 10:57 AM   #10
sweetdream

Send a message via AIM to sweetdream
just droppin by! love the tree and my father also bought en elliptical for my mother a little while ago. it started off in our computer room and she was on it every night and is now in our basement, only used by myself or my sister (once in a blue moon).

consistancy must be a hard concept for some people - i know it was for me when I first started

sweetdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-07, 10:49 AM   #11
minime
I need a title!

nice PC & jerk pierini! That is close to your bodyweight, isn't it?

minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-07, 12:31 PM   #12
pierini
Banned

Saturday, December 8, 2007
Saturday morning dojo workout.

Sunday, December 9, 2007
Rest day, but I did walk to and from late-afternoon Mass at a brisk pace for a total of 2 miles. Then a little later, another 1/2 mile to and from a nearby greasy pizza-by-the-slice place at a brisk pace for a greasy slice of pepperoni pizza, so a total of 2.5 miles walking. The brisk pace walking was because it was cold outside (by my standards of cold).

Monday, December 10, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 7:00 a.m.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 5 minute warmup, completing 1,026 strides.

Flexibility and warmup - #1 = shoulder dislocates + overhead squat with a light pole x 25 - #2 = superset of clean deadlift+front squat+push press completing all reps before going to the next exercise: 45x10 - 95x5.

Clean & jerk training - #1 = squat clean from the floor (light weight working on technique): 135x3 for 8 sets - #2 = overhead speed work: push press 135x12 - push jerk 135x8 - alternating leg split jerk 135x8.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 - plan was for 30 minutes but I quickly discovered that I was tired from the previous work so I only did 5 minutes, very hard for the last 2 minutes - a total of 5 minutes and 1,083 strides - my average HR was 157bpm (86% of max) and my highest HR was 175bpm (95% of max).

Stretching - on the floor to stretch my hams, quads, glutes, calves, etc.

Finally a good workout. I do best in my gym rather than in the basement at home. Still have another 3 weeks of no running planned so my feet hopefully totally heal. Tomorrow I'm going to a continuing education seminar downtown so I will walk there from home, so if I train it will be in my basement.

Have a great day!

p.s. hi minime, I have another 10 lbs. to go. My progression plan is a 5 lb. increase each month so if I keep my weight the same, my plan is to hit my goal in February. I'd sure like to have a bodyweight squat clean and split jerk with good technique (a score of 8 on a scale of 1 to 10) for my birthday.
Old 12-Dec-07, 12:40 PM   #13
pierini
Banned

Tuesday, December 11, 2007
In my basement at 7:20 a.m.

3 rounds of: standard grip pullups x 10 + bar dips x 10. Took 9 minutes to complete and last round of pullups was broken (5-2-1-1-1 - that's terrible!).

I attended a continuing education seminar downtown so I walked there from home, some walking during lunchtime, and I walked home, mostly at a moderate pace but a little brisk walking, a total of 4.5 miles.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 6:55 a.m.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 5 minute warmup, completing 1,025 strides.

Stretching & warmup - shoulder dislocates+overhead squat x 10 plus other snatch technique warmup drills with a light pole.

Snatch training - #1 = hang power snatch+overhead squat: 45x5 - 65x3 - 85x2 - 95x1 - #2 = snatch transfer drill (drop squat with overhead press): 45x5 - 65x3 - 85x1 (failed #2) - 85x2 - #3 = squat snatch from the floor: 45x5 - 65x3 - 85x2 - 85x2 - #4 = snatch grip deadlift with extension and shrug: 135x5 - 155x5 - 175x3 - #5 = snatch grip high pulls: 115x5 - 125x3 - 125x3.

Front squats - 135x3 - 155x3 - 175x1 - 185x1.

Superset - #1 = standard grip pullups x 12 - push jerk 135x8.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10, completing 1,164 strides.

Have a great day!

Old 12-Dec-07, 02:01 PM   #14
gymgirl
Site Moderator

looks like we both worked on our snatches yesterday...

great work pierini, i predict you will reach your birthday goal.

quick question, i know everyone finds the split jerk easier for heavier loads, but i dont! any idea why? i perfer regular push jerk on heavy loads and split on lighter loads. do you ever jerk from behind the neck?

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-07, 03:13 PM   #15
pierini
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgirl View Post
quick question, i know everyone finds the split jerk easier for heavier loads, but i dont! any idea why? i perfer regular push jerk on heavy loads and split on lighter loads. do you ever jerk from behind the neck?
I find it easier to drop and get the weight overhead within my power center of gravity with a push jerk than a split jerk. I am told that the push jerk requires greater lower back flexibility. I believe the split jerk requires greater shoulder flexibility.

I have done behind-the-neck jerks but the problem I have with them is getting the weight back down on my shoulders without making my shoulders hurt with a slow return.

I really like the drill I did on Monday when I did speed alternating foot split jerks. But right now I'm working on the squat clean so the next time I do a youtube it won't look like the last one of me doing the 181 (really bad form).

You look like a push jerker to me.

Tags
average hr, bodyweight exercises, brisk walk, brisk walking, core strength, domini sit semper, early morning, eat low, elliptical trainer, felt heavy, grip chin, grip chinups, grip deadlift, grip pull, grip pullup, grip pullups, gym equipment, handstand hold, hang power, hang power clean, hang power snatch, hang squat, head press, high pull, highest hr, hip extension, isometric contraction, isometric contractions, jerk training, jump rope, late afternoon, light pole, light weight, maximum hr, merry christmas, moderate pace, morning dojo, morning dojo workout, morning workout, muscle memory, oly lifts, olympic lifting, overhead press, overhead squat, pax domini sit, plank hold, push jerk, push press, quick workout, shoulder dislocates, sit semper vobiscum, snatch grip, snatch training, split jerk, squat clean, squat cleans, squat snatch, standard grip chinups, standard grip pull, standard grip pullup, standard grip pullups, still working, strength endurance, training journal, training partner, training program, upper body, weight bench, weight exercises, workout partner