Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Online Journals

Online Journals Keep an online workout journal so we can all learn and share ideas. Sub forum: Progress Pictures

Old 12-Dec-07, 04:28 PM   #16
ixoyc

how do you do 8 sets of 3 C&J ...i'm breathin heavy just after warming up...damn...and i whine when my rep scheme is 4 x 3

LG Sciences Rep. Feel free to ask for any information on their products
ixoyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-07, 05:11 PM   #17
pierini
Banned

They were just squat cleans and the weight was much lighter than what you handle. I was concentrating on form and trying to get the squat back in my clean.

Now what really made me breathe hard was the speed push press, push jerk and alternating foot split jerk medley. A real heart-thumper.

Plus I have great endurance muscle memory in my reservoirs from how I trained prior to getting into this Oly lifting stuff.
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-07, 11:12 AM   #18
pierini
Banned

Thursday, December 13, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 7:25 a.m.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 5 minute warmup, completing 1,054 strides.

Flexibility - shoulder dislocates plus overhead squat with light pole x 10.

Static isometric contractions - best effort times in parenthesis - #1 = handstand hold agains the wall x 1:28 (1:37) - #2 = standard grip pullup hang hold x 1:28 bad today lost grip (2:08) - #3 = ab plank hold x 3:00 not a max effort (4:32). If I can remember, next week I'm doing these with a Tabata cadence.

Other stuff - a superset of standard grip pullups x 14 then bar dips x 25 (feel pretty good about the bar dip rep count).

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 - 1 minute averaging about 200 strides per minute then 1/2 Tabata for 2 minutes getting as fast as 310 strides per minute during the 20 second periods. I planned on doing the full 4 minutes but I knew I couldn't achieve or sustain the 300+ strides per minute for the remaing four 20 second rounds, and I wasn't willling to settle for anything less. I completed a total of 615 strides during these brief 3 minutes.

Have a great day!

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum
Old 15-Dec-07, 04:49 PM   #19
pierini
Banned

Friday, December 14, 2007
Day off from work so training with a friend in his garage starting around 12:15 p.m.

Warmup - shoulder dislocates plus overhead squats with a long PVC pipe filled with sand for alot of reps, plus some other stuff.

Snatch training - #1 = hang power snatch: 44x10 - #2 = hang power snatch plus overhead squat: 44x5 - 44x5 - #3 = squat snatch from the floor: 88x3 - 88x3 - 88x1 - 98x1 (missed 1st but got 2nd) - 108x1 (missed 1st and 2nd, got the 3rd but it was a power snatch) - 108x1 - 118x1 (ties PR) - 118x1 - then 128xfail (3 attempts made, almost had the 2nd attempt).

Clean & jerk training - all squat cleans and split jerks unless otherwise indicated - 88x2 - 88x2 - 132x2 (push jerks) - 132x2 - 152x2 - 152x2 - 155x2 - 155x2.

Saturday, December 15, 2007
Saturday morning dojo workout.

Enjoy your weekend!

Old 16-Dec-07, 06:22 PM   #20
gcs118

I haven't caught your journal lately but I can see marked improvement in the numbers since last time I looked. Great work...and nice vids by the way I saw those floating around somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gcs118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-07, 07:47 PM   #21
pierini
Banned

Monday, December 17, 2007
Attended a continuing education seminar downtown today so I didn't go to my gym. I went downstairs to my basement at 7:00 a.m. for a quickie before walking to my seminar and completed:

3 rounds of: standard grip pullups x 10 then bar dips x 10 and finally shoulder dislocates + overhead squat with a PVC pipe filled with sand x 10. This took 9 minutes to complete. 3rd set of pullups was broken 6-3-1, all bar dips were unbroken. Form was strict for both pullups and bar dips.

Then I walked to my seminar, during lunch, and home at the end of the day. All walking at a moderate plus pace, a total of 3.2 miles.

I'm going to another seminar tomorrow so my training will likely be similar to today's training.

Old 17-Dec-07, 11:53 PM   #22
pierini
Banned

This was from last Friday:

YouTube - clean & jerk training - 152 lbs. for 2 reps

I used a lighter weight and did multiple sets of 2 reps, trying to work on improving my technique.

I think I did a better job of having my shoulders past the bar, keeping my arms straight and taut, and not engaging my biceps during the 1st pull phase, but I start engaging my biceps during the 2nd pull phase rather than using my traps to the max, thus weakening the 2nd pull. I had a poor rack for both reps, too forward, and as a result I had to work harder to come up from the squat. I'm pulling the bar higher than I need to. I dipped lower on the split jerks, something I was concentrating on.

I think it is easier to learn how to swing a golf club than learn how to do these Oly lifts correctly. I will keep on trying.

I welcome your constructive comments.

Last edited by pierini; 17-Dec-07 at 11:55 PM.
Old 18-Dec-07, 06:54 PM   #23
minime
I need a title!

Looks pretty good to me Pierini! I see what you mean about the poor rack position making the squat part harder, but i think you are doing pretty well. I think catching too far forward is probably one of the most common problems with the clean : i do it too.

Jerks look great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-07, 09:00 PM   #24
pierini
Banned

Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Another early morning basement quick workout at 7:15 a.m.

1) shoulder dislocates + overhead squat x 20 with a long PVC pipe filled with sand.

2) standard grip pullups x 12

3) power clean + front squat + push press: 105x3 (quit it was too darn hard early in the morning - maybe being in my pajama bottoms had something to do with it - and I don't like those darn 15 lb. bars).

4) front squat 105x10.

Then I walked downtown to another continuing education seminar and then home for a total of 2 miles at a moderate pace.

Tomorrow I'm back in my office so I'll get to the gym early in the morning.

35 years ago today, before most Discuss Fitness members were born, I became a soldier in the U.S. Army. Just a little memory lane FYI for me.

Have a great day!

p.s. thanks for stopping by minime. When are you going to post up your squat clean video so I can learn a thing or two from you?
Old 18-Dec-07, 10:42 PM   #25
gcs118

Good workout pierini. I had no idea you were a vet.

gcs118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Dec-07, 11:55 AM   #26
pierini
Banned

Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 7:05 a.m.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 5 minute warmup, completing 1,004 strides.

Snatch warmup and flexibility drills - with a light pole for about 5 minutes.

Snatch technique training - #1 = hang power snatch + overhead squat: 45x5 - 65x3 - 85x3 - 95x1 - 105x1

#2 = behind-the-neck snatch drop squats: 45x5 - 65x5 - 85x2 - 85x3(better) - 85x5

#3 = squat snatch from the floor: 45x5(from a low hang) - 65x3 - 85xfail - 85x1 - 85x1 - 85x1 - 95xfail - 95xfail (had drop fear as I can't drop)

#4 = snatch grip high pulls: 115x3 - 125x2 - 135x1 - 135x1 - 135x1 -135x1 - 135x1 - 115x3 (felt light at this point)

Superset 14 - a single round of: #1 = standard grip pullups x 14 - #2 = bar dips x 14 - #3 = ATG back squats 135x14 - #4 = Elliptical trainer resistance and incline both at level 10 for 14 minutes (completed 2,614 strides - 187 strides/minute)

Have a great day!

Old 19-Dec-07, 12:18 PM   #27
gymgirl
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierini View Post

I think I did a better job of having my shoulders past the bar, keeping my arms straight and taut, and not engaging my biceps during the 1st pull phase, but I start engaging my biceps during the 2nd pull phase rather than using my traps to the max, thus weakening the 2nd pull.
nice video pieirni! you definitely did great keeping your shoulders past the bar, that was actually the first thing i noticed. I saw where you started engaging your biceps on the 2nd pull and it looked ot me like you didn't get full hip extension there which would also help get the bar up. great job though, looks pretty darn good.

congrats on your 35 year annivesary.

"The sign of a good WOD. Immediate reflection that you don't want to do it again any time soon."—pierini
gymgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-07, 11:03 AM   #28
pierini
Banned

Thursday, December 20, 2007
Arrived at the gym at 7:25 a.m.

Elliptical trainer - resistance and incline both at level 10 for a 5 minute warmup, completing 1,092 strides.

Flexibility - shoulder dislocates + overhead squat x 25 with a light pole - done slowly and with a 5-count nano-partial bounce at the bottom of each rep - shoulders and traps are sore and knees were stiff this morning - just a random middle-age man attack.

Static isometric contractions - with detailed analysis for my archival benefit -

#1 = handstand hold with feet against the wall: 1:36 (+0:08 than last week but less than my PR of 1:37) -

#2 = standard grip pullup hang hold: 1:56 (+0:28 than last week but less than my PR of 2:08 - closest I have been to my PR in a long time) -

#3 = ab plank hold: 3:00 (same as last week as I am in maintenance mode but less than my PR of 4:32) -

#4 = superman extension hold on GHD unit: 1:03 (less than my PR of 1:05 - haven't done this one in awhile).

That was it today - something is better than nothing.

Old 20-Dec-07, 11:35 PM   #29
minime
I need a title!

hey pierini how is that heel feeling? when will you run again?

I really need to do some planks, i haven't done them in forever. Good job on 3 minutes, that is not easy!

minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-07, 11:53 PM   #30
pierini
Banned

Hi minime, thanks for stopping by and thanks for asking.

The heel is feeling better, I believe. My thoughts are to resume running with the new year. I am thinking 3 times a week for 3 miles per workout. One time at a steady-state (70-80% of MHR), one time doing intervals (85-95% of MHR), and one time more at a tempo pace (80-90% of MHR). I believe the longer distances are a thing of my past.

Tags
average hr, bodyweight exercises, brisk walk, brisk walking, core strength, domini sit semper, early morning, eat low, elliptical trainer, felt heavy, grip chin, grip chinups, grip deadlift, grip pull, grip pullup, grip pullups, gym equipment, handstand hold, hang power, hang power clean, hang power snatch, hang squat, head press, high pull, highest hr, hip extension, isometric contraction, isometric contractions, jerk training, jump rope, late afternoon, light pole, light weight, maximum hr, merry christmas, moderate pace, morning dojo, morning dojo workout, morning workout, muscle memory, oly lifts, olympic lifting, overhead press, overhead squat, pax domini sit, plank hold, push jerk, push press, quick workout, shoulder dislocates, sit semper vobiscum, snatch grip, snatch training, split jerk, squat clean, squat cleans, squat snatch, standard grip chinups, standard grip pull, standard grip pullup, standard grip pullups, still working, strength endurance, training journal, training partner, training program, upper body, weight bench, weight exercises, workout partner