Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat The place for general and free discussion of whatever you feel like.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-Mar-08, 07:47 PM   #31
dandjdad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
As for why Goose would want to have an AK; well, they're traditionally very reliable (I've regrettably never fired one tho), which is what you want for your home defense...

If you're asking why he'd want to defend his home, by any means necessary, you're retarded...
Um, don't think I asked Goose why he'd want to defend his home. Thanks for putting words in my mouth, though. Plus, please see my earlier post about insults being the last resort for the simple minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
I see absolutely no logic in accepting a handgun, but not a rifle... How about a Glock 18 with an expanded mag? Would that be alright...? Certainly, a single shot rifle or a handgun with a burst function is just as effective at taking your daughter's head off as any multi-shot weapon... Your logic is wavering all over the place...
Um, no actually my logic is really quite sound. I know a lot of other folks who lobby for gun control in DC who would agree with me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
The reason you don't have the statistics to back up your (frankly, ridiculous) claim about all these itchy trigger-finger incidents is that they don't exist... You will find that states with a high percentage of registered gun ownership tend to have lower a lower crime rate... People blowing away their neighbors on account of their mowing the lawn just isn't as common as you might think... Accidental gun deaths are a product of the number of guns situated in the country, rather than the right to bear arms...
Said the NRA loyalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
As for you calling a rifle a weapon of mass destruction (bwhahahaha), your suggestion all law abiding citizens move to the same neighbourhood (*2), and your insistance that a wish for home protection and the right to bear arms aren't acceptable reasons to own a weapon, you have me convinced you're either a troll, or an impressionable 19-year old in his first year of social studies... ...
Move out of the backwoods and check out other countries, dude. You can't just walk into any 7-11 and get buy a shotgun in most other civilized, first world countries in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
Whichever it is, I doubt you're capable of putting together anything coherent enough to make me post again in this thread...
Your input will be sorely missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
Shoot on sight, Goose...
I really can't understand why you gun nuts scare the beejezus outta me.


Remember, guns don't kill people...it's people with way too much testosterone and an inferiority complex that shoot guns that kill people.

Boo-yah, bro...

Last edited by dandjdad; 24-Mar-08 at 08:00 PM.
dandjdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 08:02 PM   #32
Gooseneck
CO
 
Gooseneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Abu Ghraib
Age: 39
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
Said the NRA lobbyist.

Remember, guns don't kill people...it's people that shoot guns that kill people.

Boo-yah, bro...
And its the ( liberal politically correct cant spank my child, let him look like a goth zombie and not question him, play video games like resident evil and grand theft auto and think there are no repercussions, left wing radical Hollywood movies glorifying violence and murder, California, ) kind of society that we've morphed into that makes people mentally unstable, thus using guns as a tool to commit heinous crimes. Taking guns away is to fix the problem is kind of like wiping before you crap, doesnt make sense. What we need to do is get to the root of the problem, morals.
__________________
Goal: Solid 200 lbs.
Current: Solid 190 lbs.


1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 08:21 PM   #33
dandjdad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseneck View Post
And its the ( liberal politically correct cant spank my child, let him look like a goth zombie and not question him, play video games like resident evil and grand theft auto and think there are no repercussions, left wing radical Hollywood movies glorifying violence and murder, California, ) kind of society that we've morphed into that makes people mentally unstable, thus using guns as a tool to commit heinous crimes. Taking guns away is to fix the problem is kind of like wiping before you crap, doesnt make sense. What we need to do is get to the root of the problem, morals.
Oh I definitely agree with you there...I think this country needs a lot of fixing, and I think the examples you presented above are a huge part of the problem.

Having said that, I have to ask you...as screwed up in the head as they may have been, do you ever think Columbine would've happened had Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold not had such easy access to firearms? (And just for sake of argument, let's assume they wouldn't have built a pipe bomb or other form of mass destruction.)

Now, in 2008 America, you can substitute any number of middle or high schools throughout for the word "Columbine". And I guarantee you this...were firearms not so readily available, there are dozens if not hundreds of young lives that could have been preserved.

Last edited by dandjdad; 24-Mar-08 at 08:26 PM.
dandjdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 08:36 PM   #34
MAURER
Dr. Huge
 
MAURER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Age: 29
Posts: 2,221
Send a message via AIM to MAURER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
Ahhh, insults. The last resort of a simple mind. Okay, I'll play along.

Well, I'd guess I'm no more of an idiot that a paranoid guy like yourself who's convinced that a bunch of thugs or soldiers are likely to burst through your door at the drop of a hat. I'm no more of an idiot that a person who uses this fear as a reason to justify having a weapon of mass destruction in their home. I don't know where people like you live, but it sounds like a real bad neighborhood to me. Here's a tip--real estate is really, really cheap right now, especially for first time buyers. Maybe you should think about moving.

Here's another hypothesis...in the US, I bet a lot more innocent people get shot and killed in their own homes in accidental shootings this year alone than all the armies busting through all the doors in the next hundred years ever will. Unfortunately, I don't have stats to back it up...it's just a hunch.

So since you got in the fray, MAURER, and since nobody's really answered my queston yet, I have to ask you--what would you use an AK47 for? To shoot the black helicopters that are hovering above your house? Or would you rather just stock up your arsenal?
i wasn't calling you an idiot. i was referring to a person who goes trigger happy and shoots his daughter. you can rant all you want though. i'm not paranoid and i don't expect any of those things to happen. i just want to have the right to protect myself if it does. and thanks but i live in one of the top 10 rated towns in the country so its not that i fear for my life. i just recognize the importance of those rights estblished in the US constitution. if any other man can hold a gun, so can i.
MAURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 08:37 PM   #35
Gooseneck
CO
 
Gooseneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Abu Ghraib
Age: 39
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
Oh I definitely agree with you there...I think this country needs a lot of fixing, and I think the examples you presented above are a huge part of the problem.

Having said that, I have to ask you...as screwed up in the head as they may have been, do you ever think Columbine would've happened had Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold not had such easy access to firearms? (And just for sake of argument, let's assume they wouldn't have built a pipe bomb or other form of mass destruction.)

Now, in 2008 America, you can substitute any number of middle or high schools throughout for the word "Columbine". And I guarantee you this...were firearms not so readily available, there are dozens if not hundreds of young lives that could have been preserved.
I do understand what you're saying, but unfortunatley for every Yin there is a Yang.
__________________
Goal: Solid 200 lbs.
Current: Solid 190 lbs.


1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 08:53 PM   #36
dandjdad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAURER View Post
i live in one of the top 10 rated towns in the country so its not that i fear for my life. i just recognize the importance of those rights estblished in the US constitution. if any other man can hold a gun, so can i.
Fair enough.

But here's another question...Would you feel safer:
(a) holding a gun with the knowledge that any other man in your country can hold a gun, or
(b) not holding a gun with the knowledge that that no other man in your country holds a gun?

To answer this, let's assume we live in a politically stable environment, there will be no military coups etc.

Last edited by dandjdad; 24-Mar-08 at 09:00 PM.
dandjdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-08, 10:20 PM   #37
MAURER
Dr. Huge
 
MAURER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Age: 29
Posts: 2,221
Send a message via AIM to MAURER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
Fair enough.

But here's another question...Would you feel safer:
(a) holding a gun with the knowledge that any other man in your country can hold a gun, or
(b) not holding a gun with the knowledge that that no other man in your country holds a gun?

To answer this, let's assume we live in a politically stable environment, there will be no military coups etc.
i understand your viewpoint. in fact, i admit i would feel somewhat safer if no other man holds a gun. however, that is not the case, and i don't believe it ever will be in america. even if you made it illegal for anyone to hold guns, people could still get them illegally. plus, everything i said is assuming, like you said, that we live in a politically stable environment, no military coups, etc. and the fact is, you can not assume this. furthermore, i believe you can assume that eventually, we will be in that situation. when the time comes, i want to be able to hold my own. its a simple belief i hold, that you can disagree with if you choose, that i have the right to take another person's life with a gun if i feel it is necessary and i am willing to accept the consequences for my actions.
MAURER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 01:10 AM   #38
Stephanie_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Back to the original topic ... Me, I'm jealous. Hubby's plans for a trip to Europe on leave squashed my plans for my own gun ...

Guess I'll have to just keep playing with his. Speaking of, I should probably clean the pistols I shot again before he comes home from the sand in a couple of weeks!

Last edited by Stephanie_; 25-Mar-08 at 01:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 06:29 AM   #39
westside24
Registered User
 
westside24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
Mike, I daresay you might've missed my main point; I'm not scared of life at all. In fact, I love life and openly embrace it. That's why the fact that any Tom, Dick or Harry can own an AK47 scares the living beejezus outta me.

So what's your opinion? Besides as a piece of a collection, what's a justifiable reason to own an AK47?
I would say thats really the only reason, theyre are fun...Gun collecting is a past time for most gun owners. they dont get them thinking of the worst is going to happen to them. you were right with your sarcasms, no one really would ever need to use it to defend there home... it would be an extremely rare event if that ever happened.
__________________
Help me.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
westside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 06:47 AM   #40
Gooseneck
CO
 
Gooseneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Abu Ghraib
Age: 39
Posts: 47
Send a message via AIM to Gooseneck Send a message via Yahoo to Gooseneck
And like I said, I didnt buy it for defending my home. My 14 round 45 ACP Springfield is for that, and a couple other strategically placed handguns.
__________________
Goal: Solid 200 lbs.
Current: Solid 190 lbs.


1*
Gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 06:49 AM   #41
westside24
Registered User
 
westside24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 992
Quote:
You will find that states with a high percentage of registered gun ownership tend to have lower a lower crime rate...
This is what I was saying about switzerland in another thread.

I would feel safer with option A, Knowing that we all can protect ourselves with guns. for agruments sake of being no weapons, that wont stop the testosterone crazed freak from brutally raping some woman to death. lets face it, women arent going to be able to protect them selves every time with jujitsu. and for arguments sake, they wont have mase or tasers, because we already theoretically ruled out that people wouldnt have any weapons.

and against arguments sake, like you said people can still come up with other means of harming someone without the use of a gun. I think every one would be better off with firearms (excluding people with criminal records, not that it would stop them, but it wouldnt be as easy for them)

Am I right about the switzerland thing???? or am I making that up? I swear I read about something like before.
__________________
Help me.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
westside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 06:59 AM   #42
NumberSixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 32
I know the U.S has gun laws and stuff, question...........is the Barrett M107 actually legal to purchase by citizens or is it available to strictly law enforcement personnel only?? I mean a .50 calibre ammo is no joking matter.
NumberSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 08:58 AM   #43
.V.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjdad View Post
That is a complete copout of an answer. If you wanted, you could also own a strain of powdered anthrax, a trans fat producing machine, or a pornography empire; you could own any of these things "because you can" and "because you want to". But just because you "can" and "want to" own these things doesn't mean that ownership is necessary, or that it's the right thing to do for society.

Now I have no problem with somebody owning a handgun or even a single shot rifle. Because really, once you pop a bullet in an animal or individual's head, the odds are pretty good that that being is gonna be dead, right? And since there isn't differing degrees of dead, there's really no point in putting another ten rounds in that aforementioned animal or human being, is there? That is why I never understood the purpose of a private citizen owning a repeating shot rifle.

So please, without invoking your rights as a US citizen provide through the 2nd amendment rights (which is typically the only argument folks who own these weapons can make) can somebody tell me what exactly is the point of owning one of these things?

I'd also be curious to read what some of the posters from other countries on this board think of private US citizens owning weapons like these.
Not a copout at all. I own my AK-47, my AR-15, my SKS, my handguns, my Remington 870magnum police shotgun simply because I can have them and I want them.

I don't need your permission or approval. Don't want it. There is no point other than I want them. I don't give a rat's ass what some SUBJECT in another country thinks of my gun ownership. I'm a CITIZEN in the US and it's legal to own. I also don't care what the liberal gun grabbers in the US think of them...they are mine because I wanted them, I have the money to buy them...so I got them. I enjoy them. And I shoot them.

Is it necessary? Nope, it's not. And yeah I have some single shot shotguns and rifles in my arsenal too. Are they necessary either? Not at all. Do I care who has a problem with my ownership of 40 round magazines? Again, not at all. Guess what I've also got? A CCW permit. Issued by the state. It says that the SBI, Local Law Enforcement, and the FBI checked me out, agreed that I'm a good, safe citizen, and that I'm allowed to carry a Handgun in public, concealed, yeah...possibly even standing in line next to you in a convenience store.

Ever had to face down a man who had just committed an armed robbery or one who simply wanted to kill you and stuck a gun in your face? I have...and did so unarmed...however, I'd have been much more comforatable in the first situation had I been armed at the time...and from that day forward, I was. In fact, the one that just wanted to kill me...I was armed...and didn't go to the gun. I took his away and beat the hell out of him. But it was there just in case taking his away didn't turn out as planned.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 09:11 AM   #44
.V.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseneck View Post
Do thousands upon thousands of people still wear mullets and nappy dreadlocks, yes. Point is, just because you dont understand it doesnt mean its wrong, keep an open mind.
Alright now, I'm gonna defend your right to own the firearms of your choice. Just as I denfend the right to many things I disagree with...That's what us libertarians do.

...don't start knocking my mullet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-Mar-08, 09:20 AM   #45
Dan C
Registered User
 
Dan C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,322
Too bad DF doesn't have reputation points, as I'd have given more than a few out in this thread.

Actually I think rep points are stupid... but you get my drift.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
credit card, high level, los angeles, trans fat, vice versa, video clip, video games

 
You may also search for:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Sponsor Our Community

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.


vBulletin ©2004 Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©2004 DiscussFitness.com