Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat The place for general and free discussion of whatever you feel like.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 2.36 average. Display Modes
Old 29-Oct-09, 04:53 PM   #1
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Do you drink beer

Well hello all x
I have now had a few beers and love everyone, some get violent.
I have a brother of 50yrs old, im 48.
He is a cronic soc drinking 15 pints of a lager with a volume of 9.8% every evening.
He has just had a liver trans and his body rejected it big time so he is a dead man alive on a machine.
I dont seek sorrow or condolence as he brought the end of his life early on himself.
All i want to say is, If you enjoy a beer ? keep it in check and not let it check you.
Try 14 days without a beer and then yr know yr not hooked, and i promise sleep will retun as normal which i found great.
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Oct-09, 06:50 PM   #2
.V.

I'll have one 2, maybe 3 times a year. Guess I'll be alright eh?
Old 30-Oct-09, 08:02 AM   #3
bodyshop20
Site Admin

V yr well safe me old son, wish i could totally stop but i cant be a saint in every avenue of life lol.
But good on you for not drinking to much
Old 30-Oct-09, 10:42 PM   #4
pierini
Banned

No thank you I'm an athlete
pierini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-09, 05:44 AM   #5
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Pierini if yr t total very good health to you.
I unfortunately come from a long line of alcoholics and i mean im about the onl 1 from fore fathers women and men, not to be dependant, But i do enjoy a few beers once a week
Old 31-Oct-09, 09:37 PM   #6
.V.

No thank you but I don't drink isn't an acceptable answer? Hahahahaha...I dare someone to tell me that when I say no. And I'm not going into details with them that once a twice a year I like to do a few shots of good tequila or down a few coors lights...I just say no thank you I don't usually drink and that's all they are getting from me.

Scotch Irish and American Indian, yeah decended from the first 'real' hillbillies...me drinking a lot is probably NOT a good idea. Never got mean, never got ugly, did learn at an early age they can always send more police...but nah, I don't need it and just a few for special occasions is enough.
Old 30-Nov-09, 07:24 PM   #7
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Liquid bread, baby.

Everything in moderation.

We're going to start brewing our own, here at home.
Wow ... I can't believe that this thread is so short!

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Dec-09, 10:52 AM   #8
Sophie

Beer, no. I can tolerate Cherry Kijafa and maybe White Zinfandel. I don't like the aftertaste of alcohol though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Next Powerlifting Meet:
RPS's Powerpalooza
April 14, 2012
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-Dec-09, 04:15 PM   #9
LiftGirl
Site Admin

I like beer. Mostly I like cheaper and/or lighter beers that don't have too much hops in them. I also like wheat beers. I will sometimes drink expensive beer if it is a craft beer. And I do like Guinness even though it is a dark beer.

I am a lightweight, though, one or two is enough.
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Dec-09, 07:27 PM   #10
LINDA

I like beer. I drink beer, I'm Canadian....

If my stomach and wallet were as big as my "likes" I'd be a big girl!!!

Last edited by LINDA; 02-Dec-09 at 07:29 PM.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Dec-09, 12:04 PM   #11
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Linda i loved that reply, made me smile as its so true for me too
Old 03-Dec-09, 02:36 PM   #12
KayakJones

Forbes.com has a story that looks at 8 ways that medical research has shown that drinking beer can good for your health.
1. Reduced the risk of heart disease
“A 2006 study led by researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the Harvard School of Public Health found that, among men with healthy lifestyles, those who consumed moderate amounts of alcohol had a 40 to 60% reduced risk of heart attack compared with heart healthy men who abstained.”
2. Reduced the risk of stroke
“Moderate drinking also may help prevent the formation of blood clots that can block arteries in the heart, neck and brain, according to the Harvard School of Public Health.”
3. Hypertension
“A 2007 study by Dutch researchers and researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center found a link between hypertensive men drinking moderate amounts of alcohol and a lower risk of fatal and non-fatal heart attacks.”
4. Diabetes
“Studies have shown that people with diabetes who drink moderately may be able to reduce their risk of coronary heart disease, their biggest killer. Research also indicates that a light drinking habit may help protect men and women from developing Type 2 diabetes. This may be a result of increased insulin sensitivity or anti-inflammatory effects.
5. Lower risk of dementia
“A 2003 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association said that adults over 65 who consume between one and six alcoholic beverages each week have a lower risk of dementia than non-drinkers and heavier drinkers.”
6. Stronger bones
“Studies have shown that beer may play a role in preventing bone loss and rebuilding bone mass in men and young women… The effect is believed to be tied to the beverage’s high silicon content.”
7. Longer life
“According to a 2005 report from the United States Department of Agriculture, the lowest risk of death appears to occur when people consume one to two drinks per day, likely a result of the protective effects against coronary heart disease and stroke.”
8. Feeling healthier
“People who drink beer, spirits, or wine tend to report fewer instances of ill health than those who abstain, according to a 2001 study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.”
KayakJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Dec-09, 02:40 PM   #13
bodyshop20
Site Admin

K Jones nice article, im offf to get drunk and be healthier lol
Old 03-Dec-09, 04:21 PM   #14
midgetcop
L'ilPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDA View Post
I like beer. I drink beer, I'm Canadian....

If my stomach and wallet were as big as my "likes" I'd be a big girl!!!
+100 on that!

I'm really enjoying all the local microbrews that are popping up all over Toronto!

I know and accept the fact that my love of beer keeps me from ever seeing those ab muscles that I *know* are lurking under there somewhere (being kept warm by a small layer of beer belly ).

-- for the Masses.

-- the place to be.

midgetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Dec-09, 04:36 PM   #15
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

rest assured that those muscles are still there ... protected by a bit of very natural, physiological cushion

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote