Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Beginner Fitness

Beginner Fitness Just starting on your fitness journey? Post here to connect with other beginners. Get advice from the experienced members for starting out right on the path to fitness.

Old 11-Nov-09, 03:10 AM   #1
Ghost Man

Am I running too much?

My goal is to speed up my fat burn.

I try to eat 5-6 small meals a day.
Drink at least a gallon of water each day or more.
I cut back on soda and other sugar drinks.

I am running 3-4 miles 4-5 days a week.
Thats all I am doing for the next 2 weeks.

For now, I am not doing free wheights after my 2 weeks of running.

Am I nuts?

Last month I was at 200. Now I am at 194. My goal is 185.
I'm 6'0. I still have too much flab on my waist. I include crunches before my running.
Ghost Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-09, 05:31 AM   #2
innerfire

Hey man how are you,
Im not sure if this will be of an help but ive been running around 50miles or so on a weekly basis for some time. Thats excluding my weight training, Boxing+Kickboxing and my Football! lol so i would say you would be ok.
People would say i am overtraining but then when you compare them to me i garauntee i am in better shape, fitter, faster and stronger. So keep at it man and listen to your body not what other deem is "too much".

Never give up weights bro. Just stick to the one hour a day cardio + weights and a good diet rule. The crunches wont help much when body fat is concerned.

I used ketosis for a while and i am now ten percent bodyfat by doing all of the above. I dont recommend Ketosis though because it will be a pain in the ass while trying to get back to eating carbs again. I was 18% bodyfat and maybe in about 9months or so of hard running and CONSISTENCY, i am now ten percent and extremely fit. Be progressive, do it slowly but consistently, try carb cycling (look up TWIN PEAK carb cycling on google), do your cardio and weight train, thats it. You also state eating 5 -6 SMALL meals. Thats a no no man. THis is a well established rule, your body will expenditure = how much you feed it ie, the Metabolic rate. If you eat too small man your body will just be more stubborn at burning fat no matter how much cardio. again look up twin peak (for a sound diet), find a good resistance training regime and do cardio one hour a day PROGRESIVELY and CONSISTENLY and all of a sudden you will find yourself with abs regardless of doing crunches or not.
innerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-09, 03:08 AM   #3
Ghost Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerfire View Post
Hey man how are you,
Im not sure if this will be of an help but ive been running around 50miles or so on a weekly basis for some time. Thats excluding my weight training, Boxing+Kickboxing and my Football! lol so i would say you would be ok.
People would say i am overtraining but then when you compare them to me i garauntee i am in better shape, fitter, faster and stronger. So keep at it man and listen to your body not what other deem is "too much".

Never give up weights bro. Just stick to the one hour a day cardio + weights and a good diet rule. The crunches wont help much when body fat is concerned.

I used ketosis for a while and i am now ten percent bodyfat by doing all of the above. I dont recommend Ketosis though because it will be a pain in the ass while trying to get back to eating carbs again. I was 18% bodyfat and maybe in about 9months or so of hard running and CONSISTENCY, i am now ten percent and extremely fit. Be progressive, do it slowly but consistently, try carb cycling (look up TWIN PEAK carb cycling on google), do your cardio and weight train, thats it. You also state eating 5 -6 SMALL meals. Thats a no no man. THis is a well established rule, your body will expenditure = how much you feed it ie, the Metabolic rate. If you eat too small man your body will just be more stubborn at burning fat no matter how much cardio. again look up twin peak (for a sound diet), find a good resistance training regime and do cardio one hour a day PROGRESIVELY and CONSISTENLY and all of a sudden you will find yourself with abs regardless of doing crunches or not.
What kind of meals should I take? I googled Twin Peak but could not find anything clear on my topic.
Old 18-Nov-09, 04:11 AM   #4
innerfire

here dude, im not sure if im gona get banned for dis lol, but heres the link to the full "lifestyle change", you dont go on and off it w w w. bodybuilding. co m /fun/par30.htm
Old 19-Nov-09, 02:46 PM   #5
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Ghost man, you need weight training for the whole body to tone up muscles of whole body.
Running will burn fat and tone legs bum wirh a few advantages to body
But upper body like chest will need resistance work to tighten up
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Nov-09, 04:21 AM   #6
Ghost Man

Thanks both Innerfire and Bodyshop. Running did help me out a lot. 2 months ago I was at 206, now I am at 193. I do want to look better then I look now. I still have belly flab and man boobs going on. But its not as bad as before. I'm still sticking to my diet and gonna start weight training. I'm gonna balance my running to 2 days and weight train 2 days.
Old 22-Nov-09, 09:13 AM   #7
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Keep at it ghost man, slow progress getting lighter is better than slow progress getting fatter.
Be patient and endure the time needed and you will achieve yr goals
Old 23-Nov-09, 04:51 AM   #8
innerfire

Like bodyshop said man, keep at it, consistency is the key bra, goodluck!
Old 24-Nov-09, 05:22 PM   #9
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

There are real limits to fatloss burn. It's a process that simply cannot be hurried (despite one's personal desire).

Your idea of consuming more/frequent meals is constructive. Do free weights (period). If not, your physical results will be short-lived and unsatisfactory. Positive muscle/tissue development is everything.

OK ... we're past the two week mark now ... what are you doing?

Quote:
Last month I was at 200. Now I am at 194. My goal is 185.
I'm 6'0. I still have too much flab on my waist. I include crunches before my running.
Consistency and smart application is everything. [simple] Scale weight is only a small part of the story.

Where are you now?

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cursor; 25-Nov-09 at 11:39 AM.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-09, 04:05 AM   #10
Ghost Man

Where am I now?
I went to the gym today and the scale said 190.
This was right after a 3 mile run on the treadmill.

My friends say that they see results. But when I take off my shirt, I see so little change. I do notice that I lost sum fat around my chest area because my shirts don't give me that man boob as much anymore.
My waist has trimed cuz on my belt, I use the next hole to tightend my belt.

I want to gain muscle, but I don't have a spotter and I'm not sure if more reps less medium weights is better then less reps more wheights.

I keep working on my stomach. I do about 100 crunches.
Old 26-Nov-09, 08:52 AM   #11
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Looks like you're moving in the right direction. Congratulations.

I've never had a spotter. You shouldn't let that be an excuse NOT to do constructive resistance training. At the very least, you should be doing a full body workout ... a couple of times each week.

What kind of resistance training equipment do you have access to?

_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26-Nov-09, 10:21 AM   #12
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Hang on in there ghost, yr going the right way
Old 27-Nov-09, 01:56 AM   #13
Ghost Man

resistance training equipment: Well, I belong to a 24Hr Fitness here in California.
But I'm more use to free weights.
I dont really use cables that much.

But I do love the treadmill. =]
Old 27-Nov-09, 06:21 AM   #14
bodyshop20
Site Admin

I myself love free weights and use cables only on pull downs and pulls to waist, I feel that free weights help keep body in balance
Old 27-Nov-09, 06:57 AM   #15
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Put together a resistance training routine that you can do a couple of times a week, with regularity. I'm sure that you'll be pleased with the results.

_________

Tags
fat burn, running

You may also search for: