Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat The place for general and free discussion of whatever you feel like.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes
Old 16-Mar-12, 08:55 PM   #1
Merrida

Who's around these parts now-a-days?

Okay, granted, I've been in and out of these DF parts for a while. Sadly, more out than in, especially lately. But I'm curious.....how we doing, we ole dinosaurs of the DF of long ago? It's always great to see new faces with growing interests in fitness. Just giving a shout-out to some of my good ole compadres and wondering if anyone has any updates on how some of the "original" crew is doing or if they pop in and out. Is Cursor and Lady C around? Jaster?

I'm just popping back in to take a few peeks around and am a tad gobsmacked at so many old threads and posts. Ahh, how I miss those busy days of "DF Classic!"

Listen not to what they say about you. Listen to what they whisper.
Old 16-Mar-12, 09:28 PM   #2
beefcurry1
93% Lean

Send a message via MSN to beefcurry1
there are a few regulars around. Jaster stopped by a few days ago to say "hi." there are about 6-8 journals that get updated daily, which proves to be the most active part of the forum (id rather see that than supplement thread overflow).
Old 16-Mar-12, 09:40 PM   #3
Merrida

I agree....I'd much rather read up, and catch up, in the fitness journal area than the "supplement page." I'm glad there's a few of us still around. And big kudos to you for keeping your sig the same. I've always liked that one!

Thanks for the update. I'll poke around over there for a bit before working my way through. Good to see you're still here.

Old 16-Mar-12, 10:31 PM   #4
beefcurry1
93% Lean

Send a message via MSN to beefcurry1
i cant take all the credit for my sig. back in my glory days i saw a guy wearing a shirt that said it.

it's not like i would go anywhere else. i've tried to look around other sites for a little information, and they're so jam packed with flaming and BS that you have trouble sifting through it all to get real information (their "journals" are hardly places to track workouts). it also seems like the folks here have a certain maturity that is lacking on other site as wm009 pointed out in her journal. it's rare to see text talk, and "bro workouts" get called out pretty quickly. maybe that's the reason for this site's inactivity. it seems people would rather hear what they WANT to hear rather than what they NEED to hear.

i think i like this site for the same reason i like the gym i go to. Both are small with a dedicated few that you see consistantly. Neither are flashy or faddish, but they give you all the tools you NEED to get the job done without the distraction of the BS. it's more homey.

i would like to see the site grow, but not at the expense of becoming like some of the aforementioned sites. it wouldnt be worth it.

i hope you stick around and give your 2 cents. it's always nice to see folks of yesteryear return.
Old 17-Mar-12, 11:06 AM   #5
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Like Beef said, few originals here still myself of 12yrs but it has slowed a great deal
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-12, 10:20 AM   #6
ajarvis

Send a message via MSN to ajarvis Send a message via Yahoo to ajarvis
It is very slow, but not 100% dead
Old 18-Mar-12, 03:18 PM   #7
Merrida

I'm glad it's not dead. I know I don't hang out and participate like I used to....and tend to take a hiatus every now and again with new speed bumps in life, but I do admit that I remain fond of DF and always keep it in my faves and keep on returning. There are already so many places to snipe and snicker. DF just seems to be the only "real" forum I've come across and met people I've grown to trust. Granted, it's a double happy running into some of the originals. As always, glad to see you guys still around.

Old 19-Mar-12, 04:03 PM   #8
LiftGirl
Site Admin

I'm still around :-)
LiftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-12, 10:58 PM   #9
arbit

Hey Merrida, hows your hip doing? Had the replacement yet?

Whatever happened to GymGirl? She went into modelling right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Apr-12, 10:12 AM   #10
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl View Post
I'm still around :-)

Yes you are m'dear, and as always, you're one of those I always am so very happy to see. What do YOU, personally, think has been happening to the forum. Man oh man, I remember the days (dayng, that makes me sound like quite the geezer doesn't it?) when the board was hopping, and we had so many Mods, myself included, it was a challenge to keep track of everything).

Warning Will Robinson, Warning Will Robinson, Danger of Geezer Comment Approaching: "I miss those days!"

Old 02-Apr-12, 10:32 AM   #11
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbit View Post

Howdie there Arbit, thanks for asking!

I had a full left hip replacement in January. Big surprise but it was worse when they got in there vs. what the XRays showed. The surgeon didn't seem all that surprised. A combination of arhtiritis, fusion, bone spurs,....they found a number of cycsts within the socket (?) and enough scar tissue that was locking the femur and socket into a 15 degree angle so I couldn't move it (that explains the three years of pain and not walking), and oh and get this, the scar tissue was so expansive it was encroaching not only on blood vessels but the major nerves (in particular the sciatic nerve L5/S1). I also lost a lot of blood and required several transfusions, and my RBC count was off the charts so I was closely monitored on and off coumadin for quite a while.

He came to see me right after surgery to tell me what he found (and my pathologies were negative) and said he couldn't make any promises, but he had a good feeling about this.

At my 3-week post-op followup he said he grades his surgeries and without a doubt, mine was a total A, one of the best he's done.

Get a load of this: Before surgery, I couldn't walk upright (Yeah, I know, I walked like an ape all bent over except my knuckles didn't drag). I could not sit upright. The ONLY way I could sit was twisted with my right elbow across my body to my left knee for support. (Weird, eh?) I haven't been able to feel my left calf in YEARS, and I had drop foot, constantly tripping.

Every doctor (of every kind) attributed ALL my problems to a combination of (a) my spinal stenosis and DDD, and (b) my age, being female, emotional (blah, blah, blah).

NOW: Since surgery: I'm off the walker, I'm onto a cane, I can walk short bits with no assistance, I've lost close to 12 pounds even though I'm eating more, my hip is in ZERO pain (unless I accidentally break my "hip precautions" which mean for 6-12 months I can only move my hip joint within a certain range). I can now finally sleep on BOTH SIDES (I could only sleep on my back after surgery). And the strangest thing, No drop foot or tripping, my entire leg is now straight, and the feeling in my left calf is coming back!! (I was told that would never happen by the doctors who only wanted to operate on my spine! They said it was permanent nerve damage! Ha!)

I start my OUTPATIENT physical therapy this afternoon. We shall see. And all this back pain I've had for so long,...? Well,...it's different. What hurts now is my upper back because I can now hold myself upright. I can straighten my left leg flat for the first time in almost 6 years (so my knee's taking a hit as is my left glute).

My pain now is just from compensating and learning how to walk again. That's weird and very humbling. I couldn't be happier that I went through this surgery. It was nothing like I feared.

Man I wrote a book on that huh? But hey, I DO thank you for asking, and I feel so good about what I did that I hope at some point I'd be able to help others who face this and have concerns. I'm gobsmacked.

Last edited by Merrida; 02-Apr-12 at 10:38 AM.
Merrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-Apr-12, 10:39 AM   #12
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbit View Post

GymGirl went into modeling? Wow, I didn't know that!! Good for her!

Old 02-Apr-12, 02:54 PM   #13
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrida View Post
Yes you are m'dear, and as always, you're one of those I always am so very happy to see. What do YOU, personally, think has been happening to the forum. Man oh man, I remember the days (dayng, that makes me sound like quite the geezer doesn't it?) when the board was hopping, and we had so many Mods, myself included, it was a challenge to keep track of everything).

Warning Will Robinson, Warning Will Robinson, Danger of Geezer Comment Approaching: "I miss those days!"
Thanks for your kind words, Merrida.

I'm not sure what is happening to the forum.
Old 02-Apr-12, 07:27 PM   #14
Merrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftGirl View Post
Thanks for your kind words, Merrida.

I'm not sure what is happening to the forum.
Well, you're memorable!

I know that no one (really) sticks around forever, and heck, I've checked out of the forum for eons at a time. But alas, I'm always drawn back. This is actually the ONLY forum I have continued to find myself wanting to keep revisiting.

I can't help but wonder what happened to cursor and LadyC and Andy and Jaster and pieroni (did I spell that right?) and sooner_ed, and....I can't remember his name off hand but he had his own site, was getting married, very ripped, did bodybuilding, maybe IronMan or something, and his fiance at that time, also very ripped. I know that can describe several DF members, but I just remember some unusual thread being started about how bodybuilders shave to show definition in their physique. Strange things stick in my brain.

Also evident, my short term memory sucks because I don't recall the names of too many newbies.

Old 03-Apr-12, 11:53 AM   #15
LiftGirl
Site Admin

Andy is still around but very busy lately. He posts when he can.

Pierini resigned his admin position to focus on his blog.

I'm not sure about the others.