Go Back   Discuss Fitness > Fitness > Fitness Over 40

Fitness Over 40 Come and share your experiences with getting and staying in shape over the age of 40. Younger members can also pick up tips and get help from more experienced members.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes
Old 31-May-12, 08:34 AM   #46
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Training for the Ageless (1999)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	training-for-the-ageless_front.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	3166  Click image for larger version

Name:	training-for-the-ageless_back.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	3167  

Push your limits define aggressive goals
____________c u r s o r__
_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cursor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-12, 09:15 AM   #47
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Kelly Nelson (the mother in the dynamic duo, referenced above) passed away in October 2011, at the age of 84: [hyperlink]

http://www.agelesstraining.com/

_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cursor; 31-May-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 31-May-12, 12:13 PM   #48
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

Kelly Nelson (77 years old) doing cable crossovers, with Colleen Fisher (her 44 year old daughter) critically watching for good-form violations. This is a single frame from the DVD referenced above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kelly_crossovers.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	3168  

_________

Last edited by cursor; 31-May-12 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added photo attachment
Old 31-May-12, 01:00 PM   #49
arbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursor View Post
Kelly Nelson (the mother in the dynamic duo, referenced above) passed away in October 2011, at the age of 84: [hyperlink]

http://www.agelesstraining.com/

What was the cause of death?

arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-12, 01:23 PM   #50
cursor
[ exSiteMgr ]

no idea

_________
Old 30-Jul-12, 07:09 PM   #51
arbit

55 years old at the competition.

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/c...rs-finals.html

arbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-12, 12:52 PM   #52
williamteo

True Fitness Through the Ages

This chap is in pretty decent shape for a 67 year old.

williamteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-12, 07:51 AM   #53
LINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbit View Post
Haha I got his autograph at the '84 Miss Olympia! He was guest posing.

LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Oct-13, 01:09 PM   #54
LINDA

FWIW this lady is now the oldest competitive female bodybuilder. meet Earnestine Shepard: http://ernestineshepherd.net/

She started in her mid fifties! She is one classy looking lady!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4wXFSczN6Rw

Last edited by LINDA; 12-Oct-13 at 01:28 PM.
LINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-13, 12:06 PM   #55
mikespitzer

I am glad I found this forum.
Fitness in later years has become an interest of mine - especially as I have entered into my 50s myself.

I also see more articles on this topic in the news.
In fact , just this week there was a big Yahoo story about a guy in his 60s who is a big internet sensation now due to his fitness achievements.

Along those same line, I just spent 2 years writing a new book that comes out in January.
FITNESS at 40,50,60 and BEYOND

I look forward to offering some tips (and learning) some new stuff on here.

Michael Spitzer

Last edited by mikespitzer; 05-Jan-14 at 12:20 PM.
mikespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Jan-14, 08:43 PM   #56
ewinters

Mike, your new book looks pretty interesting. Staying fit and stong has become a priority for me as I approach 60. I still go hard and try to gain but hopefully I'm working a little smarter.

I'm one of those lucky folks that enjoy working out and I try to be balanced in what I do. I don't need to bench 300 or worry about heavy explosive movements much any more but I find I can still make strength gains if I'm smart about it. I recently got back up to 20 good full dips after not working them for several years.

I'm going to take a look at your book and hopefully get a little smarter about what I'm trying to do.
ewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-Jan-14, 09:30 PM   #57
mikespitzer

Ewinters

Thanks for the nice comments.

As you yourself indicated, I have found it wise to modify training with each passing decade to get the best benefit while minimizing wear and tear on joints and connective tissue and spinal structure

I feel this is important in later years.

For example, I really don't use any weights so heavy that I can't work in the 8-12 rep range

No more 1-2 rep maxes

Also 1-2 warm up sets for 15-20 reps every time I move to a new weighted motion - just to be sure everything is loose and working in that particular range of motion.

No more heavy squats
I will still do squats as I think it is a good motion (when performed properly that is) .... but I don't use it for a power move anymore
I don't like the idea of heavy vertical forces on the spine and discs when one is over 50
Save the heavy leg work for leg presses, etc..

Of course we all know that a fit 55 year old with no major history of injury CAN do these motions .... BUT .... why take the risk ?

It sounds like you have been into the iron game for many years ... so you probably have a good depth of knowledge already.

I hope you like the book
It is 432 pages and goes into quite a bit of detail on aging effects, etc...

Let me know what you think
Thanks
Michael Spitzer
Old 04-Jan-14, 07:01 PM   #58
ewinters

Thanks for your comments, Mike. I do plan to read your book and am looking forward to it. I hope we can get some good discussion going on the book here in the forums.

I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks, especially the squatting. I also still do squats but haven't had a heavy bar on my upper back in many years. I used to lift heavy and am fortunate that my knees, lower back and hips are still in fairly good shape for my age.

It's funny how as I've gotten older I've lost some strength and size but have gotten much smarter about my workouts. When I'm at the Y I watch the free weight area and I see a lot of folks who are primarily interested in how much weight they can move in low rep sets. I used to be that way too and certainly, a heavy bench or squat are still wonderful acheivements but, I also find a 100 pushups or 20 pullups to be impressive and worth working for.

Thanks.
ewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-Jan-14, 12:07 PM   #59
mikespitzer

Ewinters-

Thanks for the comments and interest.
I will be curious to see your comments on the book after you read it.

I imagine with your years of experience you will already know much of the information I cover, but hopefully there will be some new info that proves useful to you.

What I do is essentially look at the "Myth of Over 40 Being Over The Hill"
Then look at the science on what really happens to each body organ with age
Weight loss after 40, joint pain, hormone level changes, back pain, lung capacity, etc..etc...etc...
Then examine what can realistically be expected from diet and exercise to help slow or offset these effects of aging.
As for the exercise, I use the "best bang for the buck" exercises that offer the most benefit for the average person
Then show proper and improper techniques
The idea being most people don't care to get hardcore like a bodybuilder
They just want the best results possible with the least time spent
Then it goes into diet plans, nutritional profiles, supplements, and much more

Obviously I am biased (ha) but I think it is unique and different than any other book like this I have seen for older people

I do have to check with the Moderators on here to be sure I do not get into any trouble talking about my book.

I have been mentioning that I am an author in my signature line as a way to establish my credentials when helping people with questions on here ........... but I don't want to be accused of hawking my book itself on the forum

So depending on what they say, we might have to talk about my book via email, PM or on my own forum

But again I thank you very much for your interest and will be interested in seeing your review.

Thanks
Michael Spitzer
Author
Fitness at 40 50 60 and Beyond

Last edited by mikespitzer; 05-Jan-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-Jan-14, 01:24 PM   #60
bodyshop20
Site Admin

Hi Mike as a moderator I had to remove the link on the sig as its the forum rules, But as a gesture I will leave this post as it is.
I would actually like to read your book so if you want a review all you have to do is send a copy if possible.
bodyshop20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging